Register now to remove this ad

Page 24 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox To Sign J.D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    Hell moon give me Arrietta ,Cobb, and either LOMO or Moose ???? Yeah in a cocaine heartbeat .lol if that's what you meant ? If you are saying pick one at 3 years and 39 over JD contract ????? Thats tempting for Arietta and let's be honest if LOMO figured it out ??? Yes it's tempting .Yes I'd do it for them .Lomo is such a gamble though ....but aren't they all here ?
    The LoMo deal is a 1 year risk. If he does great, then we'd want him another year with the vesting $8M year 2.

Moose might get a similar deal to this. Imagine getting both for $11M/1 with the second year coming in at maybe $16M/2! $27M/2 for both M & M! Wow!

That's about half the cost of JDM at 2 years before his opt out.

Double A
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Of course, injury history plays a role in the amount any team might offer a player.
    JD is not the only big FA looking at signing for much less than expected. There's still a lot of big names out here unsigned. Let's see what they sign for, and I think we'll see that injury history is not the driving force behind less bidding wars.

All interesting things in life are multifactorial!!

What Boras said. “I think we’ve got a lot of excuse-making,’’ Boras said. “We have a lot of reasons for non-competitiveness. And the reason for it is they’re suggesting some reward (high draft picks). Our system is upside-down, because we never, ever want to reward non-competitiveness. It is a cancer. It damages the brand of baseball.’’

Some factors:
    -the Cubs / Astros blueprint (Padres are trying).
    -post steroid FA hitters losing effectiveness earlier, and other reasons for so many big contract FA busts.
    -owner collusion
    -team use of stats / analytics
    -younger players are outperforming older players more than before

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...are-all-right/
    Last edited by tom-uk; 02-25-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tom-uk View Post
    All interesting things in life are multifactorial!!

What Boras said. “I think we’ve got a lot of excuse-making,’’ Boras said. “We have a lot of reasons for non-competitiveness. And the reason for it is they’re suggesting some reward (high draft picks). Our system is upside-down, because we never, ever want to reward non-competitiveness. It is a cancer. It damages the brand of baseball.’’

Some factors:
    -the Cubs / Astros blueprint (Padres are trying).
    -post steroid FA hitters losing effectiveness earlier, and other reasons for so many big contract FA busts.
    -owner collusion
    -team use of stats / analytics
    -younger players are outperforming older players more than before

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...are-all-right/
    Another factor, which Boras will never mention, of course, is that the new CBA that the players signed was a bad deal for them.

Latest on J.D. Martinez, Red Sox
    By Kyle Downing | February 25, 2018 at 4:14pm CDT

SUNDAY, 4:14pm: There could be a press conference announcing the Martinez signing “as early as Monday morning,” Ian Browne of MLB.com tweets. The Red Sox and Boras “had a productive weekend adjusting contract language,” per Browne.

The LoMo deal is a 1 year risk. If he does great, then we'd want him another year with the vesting $8M year 2.

Moose might get a similar deal to this. Imagine getting both for $11M/1 with the second year coming in at maybe $16M/2! $27M/2 for both M & M! Wow!

What could have been ....But a JD Note Monday he will be introduced just announced ....Press conference Monday !!!!crap sorry Bellhorn you got the scoop !!!an hour ago lol
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-25-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Deity
    What could have been ....But a JD Note Monday he will be introduced just announced ....Press conference Monday !!!!crap sorry Bellhorn you got the scoop !!!an hour ago lol
    I think Bullhorn gets up earlier than most of us as well. He might be in a different time Zone! lol

A “medical matter” ... prevented the Red Sox from finalizing the five-year, $110MM agreement they reached with free agent J.D. Martinez on Monday. Former big leaguer J.D. Drew can relate, having agreed to a five-year, $70MM deal with the BoSox in 2007 that took seven weeks to become official because they had concerns with his right shoulder. Drew – who, like Martinez, had agent Scott Boras as representation – looked back on the experience with Rob Bradford of WEEI. “My first words were, ’There’s nothing wrong with my shoulder.’ I was like you can put whatever you want in there,” Drew recalled. “But [Boras] said, ’I have to protect you.’ From that point on I gave him complete freedom to do whatever he needed to do.” Eleven years later, Drew remains a believer in Boras’ tactics, and he expects the agent’s expertise to benefit Martinez. “I guarantee Scott and J.D. are on a page where they know what’s happening, he’s completely assured by Scott that they know what they have to do,” he said. “He’s going to fight, he’s going to fight, he’s going to fight and get the best he can and make sure it’s fine with him.”

Deity

If the LoMo contract is a risk, then JDs contract is a suicide capsule.

The big hold up in JDs deal is undoubtedly his Lisfranc injury, which may or may not have healed to the Sox liking. But then despite his great year last year, this can be a very serious injury. It's the same one that ended the career of Allen Craig. ...

A “medical matter” ... prevented the Red Sox from finalizing the five-year, $110MM agreement they reached with free agent J.D. Martinez on Monday. Former big leaguer J.D. Drew can relate, having agreed to a five-year, $70MM deal with the BoSox in 2007 that took seven weeks to become official because they had concerns with his right shoulder. Drew – who, like Martinez, had agent Scott Boras as representation – looked back on the experience with Rob Bradford of WEEI. “My first words were, ’There’s nothing wrong with my shoulder.’ I was like you can put whatever you want in there,” Drew recalled. “But [Boras] said, ’I have to protect you.’ From that point on I gave him complete freedom to do whatever he needed to do.” Eleven years later, Drew remains a believer in Boras’ tactics, and he expects the agent’s expertise to benefit Martinez. “I guarantee Scott and J.D. are on a page where they know what’s happening, he’s completely assured by Scott that they know what they have to do,” he said. “He’s going to fight, he’s going to fight, he’s going to fight and get the best he can and make sure it’s fine with him.”
    I get that ....hell I respect it even .

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

The big hold up in JDs deal is undoubtedly his Lisfranc injury, which may or may not have healed to the Sox liking. But then despite his great year last year, this can be a very serious injury. It's the same one that ended the career of Allen Craig. ...
    Notin although you are squarely on the money with this ....I don't know if that was the only thing holding Allen Craig back ...There are still whispers his career may have been aided .I have idea if that's the case ....JD is a monster and on a whole other planet than Craig.JD will be a monster here for atleast two years ...the opt outs are brilliant .LOMO is an extremely intriguing player who I love to watch bat but he's been pretty up and down ..so this was a safe bet that had to be made .Lomo could very well play for us someday soon if he repeats last year .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-25-2018 at 08:50 PM.

My point was intended to portray the idea of spreading the risk as being better in light of the low cost of LoMo's deal and the expected bargain for Moustakas and probably Cobb or Lynn.

Notin although you are squarely on the money with this ....I don't know if that was the only thing holding Allen Craig back ...There are still whispers his career may have been aided .I have idea if that's the case ....JD is a monster and on a whole other planet than Craig.JD will be a monster here for atleast two years ...the opt outs are brilliant .LOMO is an extremely intriguing player who I love to watch bat but he's been pretty up and down so this was a safe bet .
    Well, if his injury affects his future career, the opt-outs are meaningless, we'll have him for 5 years.

Deity
    Notin although you are squarely on the money with this ....I don't know if that was the only thing holding Allen Craig back ...There are still whispers his career may have been aided .I have idea if that's the case ....JD is a monster and on a whole other planet than Craig.JD will be a monster here for atleast two years ... .
    Both Craig and Martinez were notorious late bloomers.

While I've never heard either player connected to steroids, the fact that both were late bloomers would not make it surprising if they were. ..
    Last edited by notin; 02-25-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Both Craig and Martinez were notorious late bloomers.

While I've never heard either player connected to steroids, the fact that bith were late bloomers would not Mark make it surprising if they were. ..
    I'll just say maybe and leave it at that with regards to the guy from the cards .....can't prove anything .
    Last edited by Natick to NC; 02-25-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Deity
    I'll just say yes and leave it at that with regards to the guy from the cards .
    With anything besides rumor and innuendo?