Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 9/12 Athletic Players

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think the Indians aren't just hot--which they certainly are right now. They also have the best overall defense in MLB--including pitching and fielding--and not only the best in the AL, but the best by a sizable margin. Pitching and defense are more reliable--in my opinion--gauges of postseason success than good hitting.

Thus I think we have a better chance of beating the Astros in the ALDS than the Indians.

And it's possible we just might be the only ones with a real shot against the Indians in the ALCS. Yes, Kluber is probably better than Sale, but Sale ain't no slouch and, despite recent outings vs. the Indians, he is first and foremost a competitor who has been working hard on throwing more breaking balls and keeping they low in the zone--with just enough of those fastballs. I'm thinking he will rise to the occasion.

We beat their #2 Carrasco last time out--badly, 9-1--and our guy was none other than the great Fister.

After those two, we still have the possibility (only that) of Price and, if not him, Pom or ERod. Both throw way too many pitches, but lately ERod seems to be getting better and has now had 2 straight quality starts, both going 6 and giving up 1 run. Pom has had his moments too and actually has the second best pitching WAR on the Sox and the 12th best in the AL.

All that said, one reality endures. Even great pitching can't win if you don't score any runs. In the ALCS of 2013, Detroit beat us 1-0 in game one despite Lester's sterling performance. Lackey beat Verlander 1-0 in game 3 because he threw a shutout (with bullpen help), but we still needed that dinger in the 7th by Mike Napoli. That 2013 team had easily the best offense--run scoring--in the AL, but nevertheless won the WS mostly because of great pitching. This year our hitting and run scoring are suspect.
    exactly.
    pitching = parades.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    it's kind of funny though.
    i'm trying to figure out who bsthrpr posted as from the bdc days. ( i am guessing he is from there )
    Yeah his sarcasm would be "funny" if it were not directed solely at Thunder.

Thunder can say some strange things but so fucking what?

Why does anyone here feel the need to demonstrate that their prick is bigger than anyone else's?

We all make fun of someone now and then and I'm okay with that.

But singling out one person, and in this case a very young person, is immature and wrong.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

i hear ya spud. but i think that's what makes it kinda funny. it's appears to be so random that he singling out one poster.
    it's like sccurry always finding a way to slip dick into his posts....bizarre...but funny.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i hear ya spud. but i think that's what makes it kinda funny. it's appears to be so random that he singling out one poster.
    it's like sccurry always finding a way to slip dick into his posts....bizarre...but funny.
    Except Scurry does not make his stuff personal and direct it towards just one person.

I really enjoy scurry's stuff. It is very much like what we used to see back in 2009-2012 on Talksox.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."