Register now to remove this ad

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: 8/31 a vs scumbags

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Apparently, Jim has dined with CC as he is familiar with his diet. Guys from Rice's day did not play fat. If you did, you heard about it, and you had better be really good to stay on the field.
    Greg Luzinski was just big boned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Neither you nor I have a clue as to what coaching Beni is or is not getting. All we know is he's been up a little more than a year and continues to make the same mistakes over and over again. Whether it's lack of coaching, unwillingness to learn or inability to learn is the question. Could be any combination of the three. If we know nothing else about Farrell, it's that he doesn't say anything bad about his players in public.

Tell me how coaching would have prevented the play at second last night? You can preach theory on that one all day and night, but that's a situation that you have to experience to learn from. In this sense, Farrell is right, the game has to teach you. It was a dumb play and despite that, he still was a questionable replay reversal away from pulling it off. That smacks of a guy who's been able to outrun mistakes since he started playing. The only thing coaching would have done there is coach aggressiveness out of him, and we don't want that either.
    I think the run sign was given from the bench with the 3-2 count. So, I don't attribute fault to him on that. If you are going to counter that by saying that I don't know if farrell sent him, then he went on his own and he should only have gone if he got a good enough jump that he was sure to make it and not risk a second out on the bases.

As for Farrell's coaching of the running game, he has a history of letting his players run wild and stupid. Omar Vizquel called him out on it when he was playing for Toronto under Farrell.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Greg Luzinski was just big boned.
    Luzinski fell into the very good category. For my money, in his prime he was a better hitter than Schmidt. Also, if you found pictures of Luzinski and compared it to Butterball Pablo, Luzinski would probably look like Charles Atlas.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Luzinski fell into the very good category. For my money, in his prime he was a better hitter than Schmidt. Also, if you found pictures of Luzinski and compared it to Butterball Pablo, Luzinski would probably look like Charles Atlas.
    There were some fat pitchers back in the day.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    historically, baseball players have not been known for their great physical fitness work. Times are gradually changing.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    historically, baseball players have not been known for their great physical fitness work. Times are gradually changing.

Pablo was a throwup - whoops, I meant to say throwback!

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    You can call a Yankee player anything you want.
    CC is being a whiny crybaby.

Because athletes NEVER exploit any weakness of their opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Frankly, I am indifferent to Ecks expostulations. He is paid to get excited about specific plays and not to drone on about the 4 singles which weren't confirmed as the total until the game ended. As I have explained already, I also don't care whether Benintendi was right or wrong. The point is, based on how the game played out and based on our sheer ineptitude when the bases were loaded in the 1st and again in the 9th inning, I think Eck and the rest of you are projecting a very unlikely outcome. Beni staying on 1b wasn't going to change the game's dynamic.

I too was enraged by Nunez's misplay in the 5th, but by the end of the game considered it inconsequential. The Yankees won because they had better hitting and pitching and nothing else.
    I seem to be in the minority here, but I have no problem with Beni trying to stretch that single into a double. It was probably too risky, but that is not a play that I would consider stupid.

I'm not sure how the play was overturned by the review team. There was no conclusive evidence. Bogus.

"What is he talking about? Bunting is part of the game," Rice said on NESN's postgame show. "You try to get on a base any way you can. If you tell him to leave some of that chicken, that donuts and that burger weight, maybe his leg will be OK that he can field that baseball. That's just stupid."

Jim Rice will ALWAYS be the greatest.
    I knew there was a reason why I love Mr. Rice.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    This game has sucked.
    as has every game where we lose to this team.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Denny McClain.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Just because Beni is having a good year does not mean he is beyond reproach. He certainly leads the team in RIOBP or running into outs plus bonehead plays.
    He is not above reproach. The context of this discussion is last night's game, which is considered by too many evidence that Beni is costing us wins and materially aided the enemy in the 2d inning. I have explained why that is simply not true, and no one, including you has presented any compelling evidence tgo the contrary.

On the bonehead plays costing us a 10-15 game lead, fine. Go with the minimum of the 10 game lead, which means 6 more wins than the current 76. 82 wins gives us the second best record in MLB. You claim you can prove boneheaded plays cost 6 wins and I am equally confident you can't demonstrate it by analyzing any of the 56 losses to date. 82 wins, in case you haven't noticed, would give the Sox the second best record in MLB and the best in the AL, and there is no way, no how with our weak hitting you can assert that.

We simply differ in our definitions of fundamentals. Mine are hitting and pitching, and yours are playing smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    He is not above reproach. The context of this discussion is last night's game, which is considered by too many evidence that Beni is costing us wins and materially aided the enemy in the 2d inning. I have explained why that is simply not true, and no one, including you has presented any compelling evidence tgo the contrary.

On the bonehead plays costing us a 10-15 game lead, fine. Go with the minimum of the 10 game lead, which means 6 more wins than the current 76. 82 wins gives us the second best record in MLB. You claim you can prove boneheaded plays cost 6 wins and I am equally confident you can't demonstrate it by analyzing any of the 56 losses to date. 82 wins, in case you haven't noticed, would give the Sox the second best record in MLB and the best in the AL, and there is no way, no how with our weak hitting you can assert that.

We simply differ in our definitions of fundamentals. Mine are hitting and pitching, and yours are playing smart.
    I think everything matters in baseball, and there are a lot of things that can contribute to an individual game's outcome.

I think it's fair to say that this team has made an unusually high number of bonehead plays this year and they've cost us some runs. There's no way to measure how many games they've cost, but saying it's 5 or 10 is totally unsupportable. Saying it's cost a couple would be much more reasonable.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    I've never liked Sabathia. Fuck him.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.