Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: 8/31 a vs scumbags

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Seeing losing football every Saturday would drive me crazy too.

I'm just really glad you didn't go to THE Ohio State University. Those fans are the worst.
    Don't know if you're serious about the Ohio State thing or not, but whatever. I don't care how bad UConn football is or has been, they're my team. Students who can't have a car on campus (me) have to take a bus to the game, since it's like 35-40 minutes away. I got on the bus, went by my house, down roads I've gone on so many times. I fought back tears as we arrived. It was the same stadium I've been to a million times, and the same team on the field. But, there I was, in the student section, in the front row, something I'd wanted to do for a VERY long time. I don't care that I root for absolutely horrible teams, like say UConn and the Jets. Sports to me is about more than winning; it's about the experience and memories.

And then of course, there were the two drunk girls that were basically feeling me up. It's really a shame the school just got through telling us about a million times that intoxicated consent does not count as consent. There's something about UConn girls.
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Sabathia went off the rails over Nunez bunt. What a fat piece of shit. Get over the entitlement you fucking fat fucker.
    We should have bunted 5 more times in a row, or at least shown bunt.

The problem is, we don't know how to bunt.

Total lack of fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I agree with you, the Sox should have made him chase bunted baseballs all evening, but that brings me back around to something that I've always wondered about.

When Schilling was struggling with the bloody sock/ankle why didn't the Yankees bunt against him and make him leave the mound repeatedly until his ankle couldn't take it any more? I mean, if he'd made one bad turn on that ankle he'd have been done.
    The only reason I can think of - and I do hate to admit this - is that Joe Torre didn't want to win "that way".
    They bunted against Wake when he was having back issues and flopping all over the place.

MLB players are babies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Agree.

When you see pitchers throwing at guys for "swinging too hard" something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Sabathia went off the rails over Nunez bunt. What a fat piece of shit. Get over the entitlement you fucking fat fucker.
    Not that I disagree with what you have said.

But where is the indignation because of your character assassination?

How dare you condemn Fatboy Pablow? But call CC a fat piece of shit?

Again, so I am clear, I support your post.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Are there ANY unwritten rules that are good for the game?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Don't know if you're serious about the Ohio State thing or not, but whatever. I don't care how bad UConn football is or has been, they're my team. Students who can't have a car on campus (me) have to take a bus to the game, since it's like 35-40 minutes away. I got on the bus, went by my house, down roads I've gone on so many times. I fought back tears as we arrived. It was the same stadium I've been to a million times, and the same team on the field. But, there I was, in the student section, in the front row, something I'd wanted to do for a VERY long time. I don't care that I root for absolutely horrible teams, like say UConn and the Jets. Sports to me is about more than winning; it's about the experience and memories.
    I'm glad they had a nice comeback win for you.

Ohio State fans are the worst. It's a verifiable fact.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Not that I disagree with what you have said.

But where is the indignation because of your character assassination?

How dare you condemn Fatboy Pablow? But call CC a fat piece of shit?

Again, so I am clear, I support your post.
    You can call a Yankee player anything you want.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    We certainly will disagree on some of this post. See my post directly above this one.

I do agree that pitching is the most important aspect of the game but defense (the ability to prevent runs) is as valuable as hitting (the ability to score runs).

I have no problem with aggressive baserunning as long as it's smart baserunning. There is NO EXCUSE for Beni getting thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double early in the game and with nobody out. Even Eck went ballistic over that play. As he said during the review, "Even if he's safe it was a stupid play."
    We sometimes forget that the largest factor in getting picked off the bases isn't the fact that the runner isn't there any more. It's that it shortened the inning by 1/3.

The SOx got outpitched last night but they also shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with bad baserunning and weak defense.
    Frankly, I am indifferent to Ecks expostulations. He is paid to get excited about specific plays and not to drone on about the 4 singles which weren't confirmed as the total until the game ended. As I have explained already, I also don't care whether Benintendi was right or wrong. The point is, based on how the game played out and based on our sheer ineptitude when the bases were loaded in the 1st and again in the 9th inning, I think Eck and the rest of you are projecting a very unlikely outcome. Beni staying on 1b wasn't going to change the game's dynamic.

I too was enraged by Nunez's misplay in the 5th, but by the end of the game considered it inconsequential. The Yankees won because they had better hitting and pitching and nothing else.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 09-01-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Hicks squared both of his first 2 times up last night. Since ERod is also dealing with a knee issue, I assume CC was also upset about that.
    excellent point.
    other names i have posted under: none

Are there ANY unwritten rules that are good for the game?
    yes. you slide cleats up into my all star 2nd baseman taking out his knee i am going to drill you the next time you step in the box.
    other names i have posted under: none

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I agree, Max.
    Then you, sir, are in trouble.

I need to add that I like and respect everyone who disagrees with me. They all write good stuff. But i still disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Frankly, I am indifferent to Ecks expostulations. He is paid to get excited about specific plays and not to drone on about the 4 singles which weren't confirmed as the total until the game ended. As I have explained already, I also don't care whether Benintendi was right or wrong. The point is, based on how the game played out and based on our sheer ineptitude when the bases were loaded in the 1st and again in the 9th inning, I think Eck and the rest of you are projecting a very unlikely outcome. Beni staying on 1b wasn't going to change the game's dynamic.

I too was enraged by Nunez's misplay in the 5th, but by the end of the game considered it inconsequential. The Yankees won because they had better hitting and pitching and nothing else.
    I don't get enraged over physical errors. They are human and not perfect. I get enraged over errors of stupidity. Benintendi's rock imo cost us at least 1 run, maybe more. I don't cut him any slack for being a dope. I don't blame him for the caught stealing as that looked to be a hit and run and a missed sign.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We're still making too many dumb mistakes. I don't see us suddenly becoming good at fundamentals.

I'm hoping we don't end up losing a series on a bonehead play, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Sure, I'd love to have a better offense, but we'd be 10-15 up with just a few less mental blunders and dumb mistakes.

I realize every team makes mental mistakes, but we've reached an absurd level.

I still really like this team's make-up. To be where we are at without Price, half our pen and an off year from our Cy Young winner shows how much this team can and has overcome. Yeah, the Dodgers, Indians and Astors look tough on paper as well, but I still like our chances as much as anyone else's.

The manager is responsible for making sure his players are awake and focused out there. With a better manager half of those mental mistake would not have been committed.