Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 8/28 - VS Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by d-money View Post
    This team right now's lackadaisical. Not doing anything good right now. They have no urgency at all.
    Except be in first place, and swat a go ahead two run home run.

Deity
    Neat. Bottom of the order comes thru at just the right time. That's why I love a distributed lineup that can hurt you from the top, middle and bottom. Well, except for Holt of course.

Move Vaz to clean-up!

Just joking

Vazquez has had a pretty nice season offensively. Big go ahead homer

Lets blow this shit open. Good job making contact Moreland (even if it was weakly hit)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Two things.

1. I'm now on the moonslav bandwagon. After griping about every single game and pointing to the Yankees catching us and all that stuff, I'm now saying we should put those 4 games behind us and focus on the great earlier August when we were winning right and left and beating good teams like the Yankees, Indians, and Cardinals. What happened in those four losses is we got three absolutely horrendous starts by Sale, Porcello, and ERod. Stuff happens. Sale is still an ace. I'm not sure Porcello has got it together yet, but he was good last year and still is an innings eater and has 17 quality starts of 27 total. ERod has pitched well after the first 2 two innings, which have killed him. There is nothing systemically wrong with this team--it's the same team that won 16 of 20 earlier. Blaming Farrell for those 4 starts is nuts. No one can show me one hard fact or one specific decision that cost any of those 4 losses. If the Sox don't get to the postseason or don't get thru the first round, i would not object to his leaving. But not now.

2. i really like the lineup tonight--it's a lot like the one I proposed to moonslav. HanRam dropped to 7th--great. 1, 3, and 5 hitters, all key, are Nunez, Betts, and--surprise!--Bogie. All good choices, even Bogie who seems to be getting his eye and swing back. 2, 4, and 6 are almost as good--Beni, Moreland, and Devers. I checked guys splits, and Moreland, especially against righties, is as good as anyone on the team in the 4 slot. And I really like Devers in 6th both because I think he hits better lower than 5th and because the #6 hitter can do a lot of damage. 7, 8, and 9--HanRam, Vazquez, and Holt also work for me. Vazquez has prospered near the bottom. HanRam needs to because he ain't doing much up above (and I could care less about his so-called injuries). Holt for Rajai Davis but batting 9th also works because so far Rajai hasn't shown me much, but Holt has (despite that terrible OPS), plus he's a lefty and good on the bases, which connects well to the top of the order. Pomeranz on the mound right now is, at least temporarily, is our ace based on his record.
    Since I'm the only one who said this and said it in the game thread and before the game started, this is me being boastful. I was dead right on both main points. But, to be honest, it was probably blind stupid luck, which is what I have often relied upon.

Big mistake calling Devers up before he was ready... err...

I mean, why did JF bat Devers 6th, when we all know he's 5 for 9 batting 7th!

...err, I mean... never mind.

Helluva game for Vazquez

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Helluva game for Vazquez
    He has given a big spark to the team. We need him in the lineup more often. Now we need to solve the utility player problem. Maybe sept 1 will do that.

Legend
    Theeeeeeee Yankees lose

wtf
    ck!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Big mistake calling Devers up before he was ready... err...

I mean, why did JF bat Devers 6th, when we all know he's 5 for 9 batting 7th!

...err, I mean... never mind.
    I was fine with whenever they called him up. After played a little at AAA and came up then, I said that was fine. My numbers on 6-9 slots were much bigger than you suggest. Yes, still a small sample size, but that's all we have and it's late August, not April or May, so you make decisions on less than optimal data. When making big decisions, one of the key factors is how much time is available to make it. Farrell made the right decision and at the right time. Simply put, I was dead right about dropping Devers down in the order and no one else even suggested it. Maybe I was lucky, but at least I had a rationale for suggesting the move.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 08-28-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Finally---a win!

Legend
    Kimbrel in the 9th almost gave it away. I wondered if the baseball gods had something against us winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I was fine with whenever they called him up. After played a little at AAA and came up then, I said that was fine. My numbers on 6-9 slots were much bigger than you suggest. Yes, still a small sample size, but that's all we have and it's late August, not April or May, so you make decisions on less than optimal data., Simply put, I was dead right about dropping Devers down in the order and no one else even suggested it. Maybe I was lucky, but at least I had a rationale for suggesting the move.
    I was joking.

Note: had they batted Devers 4th today, he'd have gone 4-4.