Register now to remove this ad

Page 99 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @redsoxstats

Farrell on WEEI says he hopes Devers gives a spark to the bottom third of the order. "We need to string together base hits."
    Wasn't Lin a spark for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Wasn't Lin a spark for them?
    Well maybe if SPARKS ACTUALLY EXISTED BUT THEY DON'T!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Jason Mastrodonato‏Verified account @JMastrodonato 52m52 minutes ago

Farrell still thinks Red Sox power issues aren't a concern. Said it's coincidental. Expected slight drop off without Ortiz but not like this.

"Coincidental" is code for 'randomness' for those old school managers.
    Well yes, but what's he supposed to say? "Holy crap, my guys, the little weenies, can't hit for shit. Screw them."
    You know, the kind of trenchant analysis we fans give of the situation.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure why counting a player's first year or two against him is logical (see JBJ and Bogey's career numbers).

Most players improve on their numbers after year 2. They continue improving until they reach prime. I think it was fair to expect slight improvement from Bogey & JBJ. It's hard to expect improvement from a year like Betts, but his age curve could have suggested one.

I did not expect Leon to improve, but I expected Vaz to get better and the loss of Hanigan and Holaday's putrid offense would make us about even at catcher from 2016 to 2017.

Beni had a small sample size last year, so using his .835 number as a mark to improve from might be too much to expect.

HanRam & Pedey are still in prime. I didn't expect an improvement from 2016 or 2015-2016 combined, but expecting about the same was not really wishful thinking. I would agree that their decline should not be called "under performing"--same with Leon.

Overall, even minus Papi's 2016 numbers from the 2016 totals, we've seen a pretty significant decline. Maybe "massive" was hyperbole, but to me, we've clearly under performed as a whole.

Looking at splits are also illustrative. I mentioned before that Bogey typically has a good first half and then declines in the second half. His july performance has been way below the norm and might be attributed to the injury he sustained, although he was already slumping at that time.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @redsoxstats

Farrell on WEEI says he hopes Devers gives a spark to the bottom third of the order. "We need to string together base hits."
    He hasn't been watching the rest of the order.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Well yes, but what's he supposed to say? "Holy crap, my guys, the little weenies, can't hit for shit. Screw them."
    You know, the kind of trenchant analysis we fans give of the situation.
    I am not knocking what Farrell said. I was supporting my opinion about the large degree of randomness in the game of baseball, which many people don't seem to agree with. Pretty much every day you hear or read something abut how baseball is coincidental, quirky, funny, crazy, unpredictable, lucky, etc. In other words, random.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    He hasn't been watching the rest of the order.
    Yeah, no kidding. Pretty much the whole line up needs a spark.

Legend
    Last night Betts 0-6 and Bogey 0-5. These were two of our killer bees who have to contribute to the team and both haave been slumping. All these long extra inning games, the long road trip to the west coast and faacing good to very good pitching has added up to a general malaise but some came out of it last night but Betts is a key and he has been off of late. They can always rest Bogey for a while and should, especially now Nunez is with the team.

Last night Betts 0-6 and Bogey 0-5. These were two of our killer bees who have to contribute to the team and both haave been slumping. All these long extra inning games, the long road trip to the west coast and faacing good to very good pitching has added up to a general malaise but some came out of it last night but Betts is a key and he has been off of late. They can always rest Bogey for a while and should, especially now Nunez is with the team.
    Betts can certainly explode from time to time (8 RBI's) but he's not been consistent. His defense is extraordinary. I just wouldn't pay him $30M as many here want. Not yet anyway.

Key signings are starting pitching. Great pitching will always keep you in the game.

What hitting?

I think they will give Bogaerts a breather once Nunez arrives. He is playing injured.

Betts is the guy we need to get going. He's playing awesome defense, but he has not been right offensively. He probably needs a breather too, but it's hard to give him a day off.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    What hitting?
    Ha.

Ha.
    it's becoming a joke.

#3 in ERA

and #21 in hitting

a bad afternoon today they will be 25th. 4 points separated these placements.

No fire.

No desire.

Lacking fundamentals:

Leon walks back to the back stop, and he doesn't realize last night's winning run is going from 1st to 3rd on the WP.

HRam turns to look to LF as he rounds third to score the go-ahead run- just barely.

The beat goes on under JF's non watchful eyes.