Register now to remove this ad

Page 97 of 201 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The killer bees have lost their sting. The question is why is this the case? Are they just not that talented bunch of hitters? Is there a malaise in the clubhouse? Is our hitting approach inferior? Is the basic premise that they have lost their sting wrong? Something has to change and i can't believe that Devers will be enough to bring them out of the doldrums. Pedey and Hanley have been doing their jobs of late, while Moreland and the killer Bees have not. We already are weak at the catcher position and at 3rd, so what to do? Seriously, do we try to maintain this young group of talent or move on to some degree?
    None of them are 25 - so clearly we move on.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    The killer bees have lost their sting. The question is why is this the case? Are they just not that talented bunch of hitters? Is there a malaise in the clubhouse? Is our hitting approach inferior? Is the basic premise that they have lost their sting wrong? Something has to change and i can't believe that Devers will be enough to bring them out of the doldrums. Pedey and Hanley have been doing their jobs of late, while Moreland and the killer Bees have not. We already are weak at the catcher position and at 3rd, so what to do? Seriously, do we try to maintain this young group of talent or move on to some degree?
    The killer Bees so to speak have really always been about potential. People have been projecting that Bogaerts was is going to become something that he has never been at the plate. As for Benintendi, who knows, hopefully he has a great ml career, but to project that he is going to better than some of the best who have ever been out there (comparisons to Yaz and Lynn) really? We need to be happy with what we have got in his case. JBJ is doing what JBJ has done since breaking in and it works for me. Betts is a little off but is it right to think that someone like him is going to have a career year every year he plays? I think that as a group they may not be under performing. What you see might be exactly what you are going to get.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    The killer Bees so to speak have really always been about potential. People have been projecting that Bogaerts was is going to become something that he has never been at the plate. As for Benintendi, who knows, hopefully he has a great ml career, but to project that he is going to better than some of the best who have ever been out there (comparisons to Yaz and Lynn) really? We need to be happy with what we have got in his case. JBJ is doing what JBJ has done since breaking in and it works for me. Betts is a little off but is it right to think that someone like him is going to have a career year every year he plays? I think that as a group they may not be under performing. What you see might be exactly what you are going to get.
    Except for Bradley, most of the killer Bs peers are still in AA and AAA.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Except for Bradley, most of the killer Bs peers are still in AA and AAA.
    I get that. They are young. I'm just not into the projection of any kids today being any better than they are at the moment.

Legend
    I get that. They are young. I'm just not into the projection of any kids today being any better than they are at the moment.
    What is funny too is that Betts has been one of the league's very best players again this year - just happens that more of his production this year has been due to elite defense.

Deity
    What is funny too is that Betts has been one of the league's very best players again this year - just happens that more of his production this year has been due to elite defense.
    I do think that he is elite. He would be the one that (imo) the big money should be spent on going forward. Personally I have been guilty of thinking that many of our players are better than what everyone else has. I've been very protective of them. I am beginning to think that most of our everyday players could be replaced. I'm not particularly attached to any of them.

Legend
    I do think that he is elite. He would be the one that (imo) the big money should be spent on going forward. Personally I have been guilty of thinking that many of our players are better than what everyone else has. I've been very protective of them. I am beginning to think that most of our everyday players could be replaced. I'm not particularly attached to any of them.
    They ARE better largely - Boston media view of the Red Sox will always make players seem not good enough ... and early great performance skews views of good

I went to college in Atlanta (grad school) and that is always how folks viewed Andruw Jones, a dude who hit a homerun in the World Series as an 18 year old. How do you top that? You can't - but he was really good for a long time. But it is hard to be that fired up when a supposed prodigy ends up landing on very good. It's not rational but there you go.

Deity
    They ARE better largely - Boston media view of the Red Sox will always make players seem not good enough ... and early great performance skews views of good

I went to college in Atlanta (grad school) and that is always how folks viewed Andruw Jones, a dude who hit a homerun in the World Series as an 18 year old. How do you top that? You can't - but he was really good for a long time. But it is hard to be that fired up when a supposed prodigy ends up landing on very good. It's not rational but there you go.
    I know that you are right. I really just wish that I liked them a little more. There is just something missing here for me.

All-Star
    It's not so much the Press as Red Sox hitting history which is the cause for disappointment. How about the 1950 starting line-up when DiMaggio ended up hitting .328, Zarilla .325, Dropo .322, Williams .317, Pesky .312, Tebbetts .310. Although special obviously, it was more in character with typical Red Sox hitting than out of character.

And the added disappointment of this year's hugest Sox payroll producing no more than 10 games over .500.

Quote Originally Posted by fxkatt View Post
    It's not so much the Press as Red Sox hitting history which is the cause for disappointment. How about the 1950 starting line-up when DiMaggio ended up hitting .328, Zarilla .325, Dropo .322, Williams .317, Pesky .312, Tebbetts .310. Although special obviously, it was more in character with typical Red Sox hitting than out of character.

And the added disappointment of this year's hugest Sox payroll producing no more than 10 games over .500.
    Our great history of hitting has often led to disappointment and failure. Great pitching might not be as exciting to watch, but I'm hopeful the end result will be satisfying.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Our great history of hitting has often led to disappointment and failure. Great pitching might not be as exciting to watch, but I'm hopeful the end result will be satisfying.
    Although I do agree with you about the pitching - particularly the starting pitching, I think there needs to be a balance. I think we lack that balance with this team. I also think that doing anything too drastic this season really isn't called for. Maybe Devers will give us a little more of what we lack.

Although I do agree with you about the pitching - particularly the starting pitching, I think there needs to be a balance. I think we lack that balance with this team. I also think that doing anything too drastic this season really isn't called for. Maybe Devers will give us a little more of what we lack.
    We're an average hitting team, so it's not like we're 28th or something.

We have almost everyone under performing, so there is a chance we heat up when needed.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We're an average hitting team, so it's not like we're 28th or something.

We have almost everyone under performing, so there is a chance we heat up when needed.
    hope that you are right - I don't necessarily think that almost everyone is under performing though. Anyway keep the faith I guess.

Legend
    hope that you are right - I don't necessarily think that almost everyone is under performing though. Anyway keep the faith I guess.
    The team lacks hitting even against average pitching. When we face stellar pitching, if its possible, we look worse. We can hope for improvement but are likely to see our first place slip away because we do lack balance as a team. Too much to exect from Devers that he can lift the team significantly. Perhaps the management needs to look at itself to understand some of the reasons for underperforming expectations. Remember, at the end of the last season we fell into a funk as well, going from the best offensive team in the league to a pasty. Changes seem to be needed, but it unlikely that a lot can be done with players, since we have financial and tradeable asset limitations. Management can be changed more easily, however it is inadvisable to do that during the season. Like a lot of the older long term fans, we have seen things like this before and just hope for the collective wisdom in the organization to move things in a positive direction.

They've scored 53 runs in the last 17 games. The craziest part is that this came after scoring 53 runs in 6 games.