Register now to remove this ad

Page 41 of 201 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    How exactly does playing Panda every day for 5 weeks help the team win more?
    Playing Rutledge or Marrero gives us no better chance, so why not see if Pablito can turn it around?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Playing Rutledge or Marrero gives us no better chance, so why not see if Pablito can turn it around?
    And you know this how?

How exactly does playing Panda every day for 5 weeks help the team win more?
    i believe given the opportunity to be an everyday player that panda would have positive WAR and certainly do better than now while he is part timing with fill in the blank utility player. i believe he just needs a week or two of 3-4 AB's everyday to get rolling. i believe his defense is adequate enough that it won't matter if its rutledge or him on D.
    other names i have posted under: none

is this DD or Slasher9?

"Third base has been one area I think we still need a spot to kind of see how Pablo plays through this," Slasher9 said. "Starting in spring training, he did very well for us. We were very excited. And I think you also have to remember that Pablo has done everything that we asked him to do. He got himself in shape, he's worked very hard. He's continued to work hard. He's worked on the dietary aspect of it. He's worked on the skill aspect of it.

"I think sometimes you have to give guys an opportunity before you just jump to the conclusions right away. And we'll continue to monitor his situation. It's up to him to do well and we'll see what takes place."
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i believe given the opportunity to be an everyday player that panda would have positive WAR and certainly do better than now while he is part timing with fill in the blank utility player. i believe he just needs a week or two of 3-4 AB's everyday to get rolling. i believe his defense is adequate enough that it won't matter if its rutledge or him on D.
    I don't agree. I think platooning best serves the team needs. However, with Pedroia hurt we may need to play Pablo more. For me, team needs don't dictate that Pablo play full time all the time.

And you know this how?
    Where did I even imply I know Pablito might turn it around. I do "know" pretty well that Rutledge & Marrero are not likely any better.

I don't agree. I think platooning best serves the team needs. However, with Pedroia hurt we may need to play Pablo more. For me, team needs don't dictate that Pablo play full time all the time.
    If Pablo could turn it around with regular playing time, don't you think that would serve the team needs better than flat out DFAing him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    If Pablo could turn it around with regular playing time, don't you think that would serve the team needs better than flat out DFAing him?
    He can't and he will not turn it around. Thinking so is just wishful thinkin.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

He can't and he will not turn it around. Thinking so is just wishful thinkin.
    It's also wishful thinking Rutledge and Marrero will do better.

Call up Devers or make a trade. I'm now on the dump Pablo bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's also wishful thinking Rutledge and Marrero will do better.

Call up Devers or make a trade. I'm now on the dump Pablo bandwagon.
    I agree about Rutledge and Marrero.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    It really looks as though the Red Sox are all but done with Sandoval. I have to think that if they actually thought that playing him for a few weeks in a row consistently would be the best situation for the club, they would do it. Really looks like he is done in Boston. This one goes down as one of our worst free agent signings for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It really looks as though the Red Sox are all but done with Sandoval. I have to think that if they actually thought that playing him for a few weeks in a row consistently would be the best situation for the club, they would do it. Really looks like he is done in Boston. This one goes down as one of our worst free agent signings for sure.
    Maybe tied with CC.

Just because we suckered the Dodgers into taking CC off our hands, doesn't make that signing any better than Pablito.

$142M/7 years

BOS .260 14 75 (664 PAs in 2 seasons) .711 OPS
    LAD .278 18 99 (1119 PAs in 4 seasons) .720 OPS
    (Did not play his final year of contract- 2017.)

Totals: .272 32 174 in 1783 PAs (.716 OPS)

He basically had enough PAs for 3 full seasons over his 7 year contract.

At least Crawford had a positive WAR a few times. Sandoval has literally been hurt a majority of the contract, and when he does play, he sucks offensively, defensively and is slow. He's one of the most useless players in all of baseball.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It certainly looks like he is gone until the all star break. After that, a reevaluation has to take place. In the mean time, Rutledge is our utility infielder so the question becomes do we trade for a 3rd baseman or make the jump with Devers. Nothing new in those thoughts and that Marrero will be probably be sent down again.

I would bring Devers up soon, keep Travis and Rutledge up and send Marrero back down. Assuming Devers can show plate discipline, hit with a little power and field his position enough so he is better than anyone we currently have, he would have a nice start to a ML career.

What a nice lineup that could be:

Pedey/Rutledge
    Bennintendi/Young
    Bogaerts
    Betts
    Moreland/Travis
    Rameriz/Young/Moreland
    JBJ
    Devers/Rutledge
    Leon/Vazquez

I am hoping Handley gets hot. Watching his at bats shows me he has good plate discipline but is just missing the pitches (lot of fouls), so may not be seeing it well. That or possibly the shoulder is more of a problem than we know. It is worth waiting as he is a 235 pound vedry strong player and capable of much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    At least Crawford had a positive WAR a few times. Sandoval has literally been hurt a majority of the contract, and when he does play, he sucks offensively, defensively and is slow. He's one of the most useless players in all of baseball.
    Crawford had enough PAs for 3 full seasons ou of a 7 year contract.

That's a majority, too.

More money, especially when adjusted for inflation.

More years of suckiness.

Last year totally written off.