Register now to remove this ad

Page 151 of 201 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Betts is definitely having a bad year for him. He gets cut a lot more slack than most of our players, despite not performing up to expectations.
    This is why you don't just give out 10 year, $300M contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is why you don't just give out 10 year, $300M contracts.
    Yeah, $250/10 should do.

Release Young and bring up Brentz?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Nice. However, you have to ask why Betts, now in his 3d full year, has never been slotted 4th (to any great degree, anyway). I think it's because he has too much speed, plus batting earlier gets him more at bats. Not batting 4th in those 3 years, he has nevertheless led the team in runs scored all three years, leads the team in rbi's this year, was second in rbi's last year with 113 to Papi's 122, and was 3d in rbi's in 2015 with 77 to Bogie's 81 and papi's 108. I mean, doesn't that suggest slotting him higher has worked pretty well?

Throw Pedey out this year. Good slotting, but bad timing. I agree he can be slotted anywhere in the top 4 and do well.

No complaints about the vs. lefties lineup except for Pedey.

But the vs. righties lineup is the one most used and therefore the most important. I notice no HanRam even though his vs. lefty-righty splits are pretty close. More rbi's per at bat vs. lefties, but more dingers per at bat vs. righties, and about the same OPS's. His K/BB ratio, however, is much better vs. lefties. Still. If Pedey can play and play well or just hit and hit well, I might agree, but I have severe doubts about that knee.

Granted it's a small sample size, but the evidence for leaving Devers in the bottom 4 of the lineup is overwhelming. I don't care what he did in the minors. MLB pitchers are better and have more access to videos and analysis of hitting weaknesses. Plus I think he can do good things down there. He's had now 56 at bats batting 5th with 8 rbi's. He's had 20 at bats batting 7th with 7 rbi's. Spread that over 500 at bats and you are looking at 140 rbi's. Of course that would never happen because, if he did that well for just the first two months of a season, no manager would fail to move him up. Absent that kind of data, we have to use those 28 games, which say unequivocally that he is better further down in the order and also productive, which is really the point, isn't it?

If Pedey is out, HanRam is back in vs. righties. My lineup would then be--

Nunez
    Beni
    Bogey (sounds terrible, but he's done it a lot this year and his stroke seems to be returning)
    Betts (you said he can do it, the only problem is putting so much base running talent in the cleanup slot)
    Moreland (50 rbi's vs. righties and an OPS over .800) (plus I want 2 lefty bats in the first 5 and don't think Devers or JBJ are up to that based on their splits)
    HanRam (this could be a very good fit for him--less pressure)_
    Devers or JBJ
    JBJ or Devers
    Leon/Vazquez

What I like about my lineup is that it spreads the wealth through all 9 slots. No rest for opposing pitchers getting to the bottom of the order especially when all three (if Leon is catching) hit from the left side. But the top of the order ain't too shabby either. The question is the middle, the 4,5, and 6 slots. Betts should be fine. Moreland is 3d on the team in rbi's with fewer at bats than the first two, Betts and Beni. And, as I said, HanRam might benefit from dropping down and the 6th slot can be very productive.
    Devers is a raw rookie with not enough AB's to conclude that he belongs in the bottom of the lineup. No evidence to date is overwhelming about where he should bat. He batted down in the order when he first came and killed it. Pitchers are learning how to get him out and he is trying to make adjustments. This situation happened when he was lowered in the order so may be just an artifact of being a rookie in the league. He is one of our few power hitters so I think we need to give him more time in a power slot.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I have a feeling the sox brass will address the major problem facing the sox this offseason. You are all seeing what happens when you replace a HOF level talent/production with replacement level production and don't upgrade anywhere else. Everyone suffers. I forsee a JD Martinez signing this offseason. HanRam will have to move to 1b or Martinez will move into the 1b role. That offense in that park will stretch your lineup out and take some pressure off the guys currently not producting
    The Sox brass should look at results and the performance of players and coaches. The hitting has not been good so look to replace the hitting coach or coaches. Certain players haven't so replace the ones that we can and try to bolster what is left with new talent. The question is out on overall leadership with JF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Think they are just going to wait until September to call him up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Think they are just going to wait until September to call him up.
    It's not like September 1 is a long way into the future. It's four days away!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    It's not like September 1 is a long way into the future. It's four days away!
    It won't be his first rodeo in mlb. I'd expect him to step in and hit.

Young is hitting .801 in the second half.

We need to find new scapegoats.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post

Hanley is my scapegoat atm. Betts is playing well, but not MVP caliber. I can't be too made about that. Hanley is barely contributing though.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Hanley is my scapegoat atm. Betts is playing well, but not MVP caliber. I can't be too made about that. Hanley is barely contributing though.
    I don't disagree, but it is JF who keeps him batting 4th.

True enough!
    I get MV Pee.

This is not scapegoating.

His second half OPS is 758 according to B-R, and that was built largely on the strength of one good game that bumped his OPS 54 points. Since then he has stunk again.

He has stunk most of the year. He has a minus WAR.
    Last edited by Bellhorn04; 08-28-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Legend
    This is not scapegoating.

His second half OPS is 758 according to B-R, and that was built largely on the strength of one good game that bumped his OPS 54 points. Since then he has stunk again.

He has stunk most of the year. He has a minus WAR.
    Young has been good defensively but his hitting has not been consistent of late. Brentz as a replacement hasn't been that good defensively but his minor league power numbers might translate into some much needed hitting help in the lineup.

Batting 7th tonight. I think Farrell is just a little slow on the uptake.
    I get MV Pee.