Register now to remove this ad

Page 140 of 201 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    He has made some bone headed plays, but then he'll turn around and make a fantastic play. It's a learning curve.

He does have a DRS of +7 this year and a UZR/150 of exactly 0. Not great, but I think he's learning. Will he ever get to JBJ's or Betts' level? Probably not, but those two set a pretty high bar.
    His instincts and routes to balls are not great either. It is not just the boneheaded plays.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Betts and JBJ are fantastic. I just wish Beni was showing more improvement out there.
    at least he is not trending backwards. he def needs more reps on wall balls.
    Let me know when he lobs a ball in allowing a runner to tag and move up a base.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    at least he is not trending backwards. he def needs more reps on wall balls.
    Let me know when he lobs a ball in allowing a runner to tag and move up a base.
    Well, he might not lob the ball back in, but he has had trouble throwing to the correct base which often leads to an advanced runner.

He has the athleticism to be a plus plus LFer, but right now he's about average. With all the hype of "3 CFers" I was hoping for Yaz in LF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

He has made some bone headed plays, but then he'll turn around and make a fantastic play. It's a learning curve.

He does have a DRS of +7 this year and a UZR/150 of exactly 0. Not great, but I think he's learning. Will he ever get to JBJ's or Betts' level? Probably not, but those two set a pretty high bar.
    The defensive metrics are usually hard on left fielders who play half their games in Fenway, so a zero UZR/150 could actually be a plus. .

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Well, he might not lob the ball back in, but he has had trouble throwing to the correct base which often leads to an advanced runner.

He has the athleticism to be a plus plus LFer, but right now he's about average. With all the hype of "3 CFers" I was hoping for Yaz in LF.
    Benny is already better.
    Yaz Rtot (TZ) his rookie season = 1
    Benny Rtot thus far = 6

My bad. I was trying to give you a specific example. Scratch that.

Put a good hitter in the line up over a hot hitter.

Put a good hitter in the line up over a 'clutch' hitter.

In other words, don't be ruled by small sample sized data.
    We will continue to disagree on that. Every sample size is worth something. It's a matter of how it's interpreted.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    My bad. I was trying to give you a specific example. Scratch that.

Put a good hitter in the line up over a hot hitter.

Put a good hitter in the line up over a 'clutch' hitter.

In other words, don't be ruled by small sample sized data.
    But even good hitters go through slumps. I kinda agree with you in theory, but if a guy is belting the hide off the ball, you don't just bench him and go with Cool Hand Luke who can't currently hit the side of a barn. In my opinion it hurts your chances of winning and it sends a bad message.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    But even good hitters go through slumps. I kinda agree with you in theory, but if a guy is belting the hide off the ball, you don't just bench him and go with Cool Hand Luke who can't currently hit the side of a barn. In my opinion it hurts your chances of winning and it sends a bad message.
    I don't disagree, but here's a question:

Say a normal .750 guy has been hitting .900 for a month. He's "the hot hand."

How bad does he have to do, and for how long to decide to bench him?

2 for 9 over 2 games?
    1 for 9?
    3 for 13 over 3 games?
    2 for 13?
    4 for 17 over 4 games?
    3 for 17?
    2 for 17?

Nothing specific like this, but about what?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't disagree, but here's a question:

Say a normal .750 guy has been hitting .900 for a month. He's "the hot hand."

How bad does he have to do, and for how long to decide to bench him?

2 for 9 over 2 games?
    1 for 9?
    3 for 13 over 3 games?
    2 for 13?
    4 for 17 over 4 games?
    3 for 17?
    2 for 17?

Nothing specific like this, but about what?

Just curious.

IMO the most important part of your question is the time that player has been raking. If he's been at it for a month as you say I'd go with the 4 games before I lost confidence in him. OTOH if he's only been hitting well for a week he'd get two days. But that's just me and it's hypothetical. :-)
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    IMO the most important part of your question is the time that player has been raking. If he's been at it for a month as you say I'd go with the 4 games before I lost confidence in him. OTOH if he's only been hitting well for a week he'd get two days. But that's just me and it's hypothetical. :-)
    Sounds about right.

I guess one also has to look at hard outs and cheezy hits as well.

Legend
    I watch the hitting pretty closely during each game and though we only got 5 hits last night there weren't wholesale problems.

Nunez has cooled off a little but he is one of our few hitters who will offer at a first pitch over the plate. His plate discipline has gotten worse as he is swinging at high fast balls out of the zone. That said, last night he hit the ball hard to the third baseman and went to right pretty hard. Just bad luck he didn't get on.

Betts does tend to take first pitch strike most of the times and does tend to have more swing and miss or swing and foul off than in the past, but last night his pllate discipline was very good and he walked three times and scored 3 I think. he did a good job.

Beni hits best when he goes to center or pulls the ball. When he hits to left, he often pops the ball up. He did a good job last night as well.

Hanley is a low average hitter these days but he can lose a mistake and is dangerous because of it. His two run homer gave us the lead.

Devers has shown the ability to shrug off a poor at bat and come back and put up a good swing. Last night he didn't but the kid can hit.

Bogie is still mired in a slump. He did work a couple of walks so that was an improvement, but he takes the first strike down the middle time after time and gets in the hole. He tends to have serious issues seeing sliders down low and away. His swing mechanics are not very good either. I hope he can recover some of his mojo this year but no signs to date. They show him having discussions with the hitting coach after most AB's.

Holt was in because Moreland couldn't go. Holt is an experienced hitter but really is below average for most major leaguers in contact and power. We probably have versatile players in the minors who could do as well or better.

Vaz is hitting well for a catcher and is fairly hot right now. He makes contact and hits the ball hard. He doesn't have much speed but if he wasn't catching he would be a good pinch hitter. JF is hesitant to use him when Leon catches in case Leon gets injured.

JBJ seems too have trouble recognizing some pitches but has certainly done enough and has hit the ball well enough to even be moved down a couple of slots. Bogie could occupy th e 9th slot. We don't have alternatives on the current roster to allow him to sit.

All in all, our weak spots are Holt and Bogie. Hope Pedey will come back soon and perhaps we can bring up another versatile infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I watch the hitting pretty closely during each game and though we only got 5 hits last night there weren't wholesale problems.

Nunez has cooled off a little but he is one of our few hitters who will offer at a first pitch over the plate. His plate discipline has gotten worse as he is swinging at high fast balls out of the zone. That said, last night he hit the ball hard to the third baseman and went to right pretty hard. Just bad luck he didn't get on.

Betts does tend to take first pitch strike most of the times and does tend to have more swing and miss or swing and foul off than in the past, but last night his pllate discipline was very good and he walked three times and scored 3 I think. he did a good job.

Beni hits best when he goes to center or pulls the ball. When he hits to left, he often pops the ball up. He did a good job last night as well.

Hanley is a low average hitter these days but he can lose a mistake and is dangerous because of it. His two run homer gave us the lead.

Devers has shown the ability to shrug off a poor at bat and come back and put up a good swing. Last night he didn't but the kid can hit.

Bogie is still mired in a slump. He did work a couple of walks so that was an improvement, but he takes the first strike down the middle time after time and gets in the hole. He tends to have serious issues seeing sliders down low and away. His swing mechanics are not very good either. I hope he can recover some of his mojo this year but no signs to date. They show him having discussions with the hitting coach after most AB's.

Holt was in because Moreland couldn't go. Holt is an experienced hitter but really is below average for most major leaguers in contact and power. We probably have versatile players in the minors who could do as well or better.

Vaz is hitting well for a catcher and is fairly hot right now. He makes contact and hits the ball hard. He doesn't have much speed but if he wasn't catching he would be a good pinch hitter. JF is hesitant to use him when Leon catches in case Leon gets injured.

JBJ seems too have trouble recognizing some pitches but has certainly done enough and has hit the ball well enough to even be moved down a couple of slots. Bogie could occupy th e 9th slot. We don't have alternatives on the current roster to allow him to sit.

All in all, our weak spots are Holt and Bogie. Hope Pedey will come back soon and perhaps we can bring up another versatile infielder.
    Thanks oldtimer, always enjoy reading these posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Thanks oldtimer, always enjoy reading these posts.
    agree 100%

He nailed it.

On Holt. I'm okay with keeping versatility on the roster, but it is best saved for late game situations where JF would get the flex needed- not starting over Young (DH and HRan to 1B). Starting Holt last night was not a horrible call.

What we need is 4 subs not 3, so we need to go with 12 pitchers again (maybe after Fister's start). I don't really want to send Scott down, so I'd look to invent a DL stint for Hembree or trade him for a decent prospect and add Brentz to the 40 man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He nailed it.

On Holt. I'm okay with keeping versatility on the roster, but it is best saved for late game situations where JF would get the flex needed- not starting over Young (DH and HRan to 1B). Starting Holt last night was not a horrible call.

What we need is 4 subs not 3, so we need to go with 12 pitchers again (maybe after Fister's start). I don't really want to send Scott down, so I'd look to invent a DL stint for Hembree or trade him for a decent prospect and add Brentz to the 40 man roster.
    What's the big deal with 12 pitchers? Don't rosters expand to 40 in a couple of weeks?
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."