Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 201 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    At least vs RHPs, right? He's already proven enough with his bat he can handle MLB pitching and he's faster than Betts. If we see zero gains, it's still the right move.
    Yes, vs RHPs, it looks like a no-brainer, unless you want his power utilized in the 3 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Yes, vs RHPs, it looks like a no-brainer, unless you want his power utilized in the 3 slot.
    How much power do you think he'll show this season? I think he's good for 15 HRs total (vs LHP & RHP combined). Is it worth waiting for this year when the other aspects of his game may play a more important role? IDK, it's definitely something to keep in mind but...

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    How much power do you think he'll show this season? I think he's good for 15 HRs total (vs LHP & RHP combined). Is it worth waiting for this year when the other aspects of his game may play a more important role? IDK, it's definitely something to keep in mind but...
    Since we have no clear leadoff hitter, I'd put him there.

I guess Bogey could lead off vs LHPs.

I never liked the idea of Pedey leading off.

Yes, 15-18 HRs seems about right year one.

Capt. Edward Smith , HMS Titanic; " If we just move the red deck chairs over here and put the blue ones over there , we should be alright ".

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Capt. Edward Smith , HMS Titanic; " If we just move the red deck chairs over here and put the blue ones over there , we should be alright ".
    ahahahah.................. yea........ this team needs to turn the dial to winning mode..........
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Boggs View Post
    You can't get as much as you think. It not about a trade clause , about 90% of MLB players wave it for a chance 2 win. It is about the return.

A bad teammate is a different story entirely.

So you want Hernandez or Holt replacing him. Plus Hernandez and Holt are about a tick above average in the field... I'm more concern about the clubhouse and leadership, as of his loss of his own skill.
    Just wait until his skills are diminished..........his teammates will be snickering
    Last edited by Nick; 04-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    Pedroia has not been a stolen base threat in a long time. But not every lead off hitter has to be. He has a high OB%. Once those batters behind him begins to swing the bat, they'll reap the benefits of his OB%.

Pedroia is off to a slow start, let's give him 2-4 weeks before removing him from lead off.

Right now they need to do a little more by setting runners in motion. A team that makes this type of contact should not be immediately doubled up once they got something brewing.
    Ding ding ding. The primary job of a lead-off hitter is to get on base so that the so-called big boppers can do their thing and drive him in.

Speed is vastly overrated for a guy in the #1 lot. Is it a plus? Absolutely. Is it a necessity? Absolutely not. If you disagree, Wade Boggs is on line 1 for you.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    The funny thing is, while that never works with icebergs, it can sometimes work with baseball teams. Not always, but sometimes.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

True, but maybe sometimes shaking things up gets the players energized.
    I thought Pedroia was the Energizer Bunny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I thought Pedroia was the Energizer Bunny?
    Battery not included.

Deity
    That begs the question, "what are we waiting for?"

I'm not saying making that move is going to energize our offense right away, but we should make an effort to try and jump start things.

The line-ups I suggested in December:

vs RHPs:
    1) Beni
    2) Bogey
    3) Betts
    4) Pedey
    5) HRam
    6) JBJ
    7) Pablo
    8) Moreland
    9) Leon

vs LHPs
    1) Beni
    2) Bogey
    3) Betts
    4) HRam
    5) Young
    6) Pedey
    7) JBJ
    8) Rutledge/Hernandez
    9) Vaz

Not bad, not bad at all.

Deity
    Nobody has hit like a "stud" in April. I agree.

I do feel Betts is a stud.

HRam, Beni, JBJ, Pedey and Bogey are plus hitters.

I'm hoping April was just a fluke with everyone slumping at the same time. It's hard to imagine 5 of our best hitters all having a serious decline year at the same time.

I sure as hell hope not!

I still see top 5, but we better warm up real soon for that to become a reality.
    Darn. Much too sensible for my typical wise-ass response. I not only agree those 6 are plus (or better) hitters, but that maybe Moreland will be too. Losing hope at 3B and C however.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Not bad, not bad at all.
    I'd rather not have Pedey bat cleanup when he's only has one extra base hit so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Ding ding ding. The primary job of a lead-off hitter is to get on base so that the so-called big boppers can do their thing and drive him in.

Speed is vastly overrated for a guy in the #1 lot. Is it a plus? Absolutely. Is it a necessity? Absolutely not. If you disagree, Wade Boggs is on line 1 for you.
    But when you have two good OB guys- put the faster one first.

Ding-Ding-DONG!

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    I would ask fans here if they think that this is the best hitting and scoring we are going to see from this team. HR power is lacking right now, so how many think that Mookie and Hanley won't hit for power all season? How many think Pedroia won't hit better? Moreland has actually contributed more hitting than expected so far and is a doubles machine. Bogaerts and Benintendi are hitting good so far, albeit with little power. Would one power bat really make that much difference?
    The problem is not the lack of Papi. Yes, our offense was going to drop off a little without him, but it should still be one of the best in the leagues. Saying that they need Papi in the line up is an excuse. It's time for these guys to step up and hit like they are capable of hitting. Simple as that.

IMO, the offense and the team will be fine.