Register now to remove this ad

Page 101 of 201 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3002

Thread: Sox hitting??

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Seattle righthander Andrew Moore, a 23-year-old rookie, posted quality starts in his first three MLB starts but has surrendered five earned runs in each of his last two starts:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2017

Today's matchup of the six-foot Moore and 6-foot-6 Red Sox ace Chris Sale reminds me of David and Goliath.

I attended a Mariner game Sunday with a sportswriter who covered Andrew Moore three years ago when the pitcher was at Oregon State University. The sportswriter was unaware of Moore's rapid ascent to the majors (over the same period the sportswriter experienced a rapid ascent in sports journalism).
    I appreciate the Mariners letting us win one game of the series.

Seattle righthander Andrew Moore, a 23-year-old rookie, posted quality starts in his first three MLB starts but has surrendered five earned runs in each of his last two starts:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=p&year=2017

Today's matchup of the six-foot Moore and 6-foot-6 Red Sox ace Chris Sale reminds me of David and Goliath.
    Although in MLB David knocks off Goliath fairly regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    JF sucks. Why keep him at the helm?

Sometimes just a big change at the helm is enough to provide a spark.

This team has zero fire.

Zero desire.

Zero focus.

Total haplessness.

They do seem like they need a spark, but I wouldn't go so far as to say zero desire or zero focus. Did you see Hanley's reaction to scoring the go ahead run in the top of the 13th last night?

To be fair, since the All Star break, they have played 14 games in 13 days, including 3 games of 13 or more innings and a west coast trip. That's a tough stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    They do seem like they need a spark, but I wouldn't go so far as to say zero desire or zero focus. Did you see Hanley's reaction to scoring the go ahead run in the top of the 13th last night?
    What I saw was HRam turning to look over his shoulder like a T Ball player. He barely made it safe!

Lack of fundamentals is another reason to can jf's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    What I saw was HRam turning to look over his shoulder like a T Ball player. He barely made it safe!

Lack of fundamentals is another reason to can jf's ass.
    I can agree with the lack of fundamentals. Maybe even the lack of focus at times. I don't agree with the lack of desire.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Although in MLB David knocks off Goliath fairly regularly.
    That was my hope.

That was my hope.
    Don't be greedy Harmony. You won 2 out of 3.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Don't be greedy Harmony. You won 2 out of 3.
    Just as the Red Sox won two of three from the Mariners in Boston earlier this year.

Just as the Red Sox won two of three from the Mariners in Boston earlier this year.
    We're Even Steven for this year. See you in 2018.

Let's say the Red Sox don't make any more trades. I'm trying to figure out how this all fits together.

(1) Release/trade C.Young and promote B.Brentz
    (2) Activate E.Nunez and demote B.Holt

Against RHP:
    Nunez (rotate: 2b, SS, 3b, LF, RF, DH)
    Benintendi (LF)
    Pedroia (2b)
    Betts (RF)
    Ramirez (DH)
    Bradley (CF)
    Bogaerts (SS)
    Moreland (1b)
    Devers (3b)
    Vazquez (C)

Against LHP:
    Nunez (DH)
    Pedroia (2b)
    Betts (RF)
    Ramirez (1b)
    Bradley (CF)
    Brentz (LF)
    Bogaerts (SS)
    Vazquez (C)
    Devers (3b)

Nunez plays everyday as the leadoff hitter; Nunez is the super utility guy against RHP giving a day of rest to one of the starters in the lineup; when Nunez plays LF, Benintendi shifts to CF, giving Bradley a day off. Devers starts against LHP (I want the extra HR power in the lineup).
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-27-2017 at 03:08 AM.

Brentz is never getting called up. He's 28, can't play defense, sucked when he was up last year, and isn't exactly dominating AAA. He's not an upgrade over Young. And Young is bad too.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    Brentz is never getting called up. He's 28, can't play defense, sucked when he was up last year, and isn't exactly dominating AAA. He's not an upgrade over Young. And Young is bad too.
    Young is 33 (will be 34 in Sept), isn't hitting lefties this year, and is a washed up piece of crap. Brentz made adjustments (isn't the same hitter as last year) and is raking against lefties (over 1.000 OPS against lefties in AAA). I'm not sure why it is taking the Red Sox so long to make this move; though, as someone pointed out, Brentz probably gets called up in Sept when the rosters expand and will be given a shot to replace Young at that time. I would make the move now since we are fighting for the division and need to improve offensive output against lefties.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 07-27-2017 at 03:04 AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan_since_Boggs View Post
    Young is 33 (will be 34 in Sept), isn't hitting lefties this year, and is a washed up piece of crap. Brentz made adjustments (isn't the same hitter as last year) and is raking against lefties (over 1.000 OPS against lefties in AAA). I'm not sure why it is taking the Red Sox so long to make this move; though, as someone pointed out, Brentz probably gets called up in Sept when the rosters expand and will be given a shot to replace Young at that time. I would make the move now since we are fighting for the division and need to improve offensive output against lefties.
    And Rusney Castillo just quietly keeps doing what we need - hit - at the AAA level. He is also hitting a few dingers (not as many as Brentz) but he probably is a much better hitter. It's a shame in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by BstHcpr View Post
    His OPS is .876 this year and is worth a look at some point. His production last year in Boston mirrors what Young is doing this year. If Young continues to struggle, they may make a move later in August. It won't happen anytime soon though.

If the Sox believe his new swing mechanics are what has given him his recent success, he'll at least get some run in September.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    His OPS is .876 this year and is worth a look at some point. His production last year in Boston mirrors what Young is doing this year. If Young continues to struggle, they may make a move later in August. It won't happen anytime soon though.

If the Sox believe his new swing mechanics are what has given him his recent success, he'll at least get some run in September.

It's hard to have a lot of confidence in a 28 year old who has been stuck in AAA for 5 years. But it's hard to not be intrigued by seeing how much better he's done this year coupled with the fact he's mad adjustments to his mechanics. As you said he will be up in September, and he will get a few shots then. If he starts smashing the ball at this level things will get pretty interesting.