Register now to remove this ad

Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Prospect Mega Thread

Deity
    good to see Brock Holt back in action.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    I'll keep an eye on Longhi to see if he's a fringe level prospect, while we value a kid like Lin, who cant hit his weight, and Bogearts is at SS. 2 Marrero's not a good thing. Wasn't he a big international signing?
    We'll I just eat my words, got a nice hit.
    Marrero was a 1st round pick for us in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Good for us - seems like a lot of excitement for kids that should be juniors in high school. At what level are these young phonemes currently playing at?
    They would debut in the DSL next year, I would presume.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Good for us - seems like a lot of excitement for kids that should be juniors in high school. At what level are these young phonemes currently playing at?
    Well that's the name of the game. I think to be a true lover of prospects you have to understand the further away these kids are the more paths they have to lead to failure, however, there's also more upside and more hope as well.

It's almost like investing your money in the stock market into a well-diversified portfolio and the international system is one piece of the puzzle that teams use to stock their farm systems.

These kids will go to the DSL, the good ones will come stateside after one year and play in the GCL and then they will move on to Lowell of Greenville.

The really good ones will skip a level. Rafael Devers moved from the DSL to the GCL in the middle of his first year in the system and skipped Lowell and went straight to Greenville the next. After spending a full season in the DSL Bryan Mata skipped botht the GCL and Lowell and is currently starting in Greenville this year.

being excited about 16 year olds playing baseball is certainly not for the faint of hearted. As the old saying goes "prospects will break your heart"

I enjoy it.

One last Question why would you Draft 3 SS's unless your evaluation is not good? Pitchers I understand, but SS's? Also what if Bogaerts is signed long term?
    It is the philosophy of many teams to draft the best players/athletes, regardless of position or need. That tends to give you the most value. I don't know if that's what the Sox are doing, but the philosophy makes sense.

Good stuff, Jackson ...... I HatE THE yANKS>
    Post of the day!

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Well that's the name of the game. I think to be a true lover of prospects you have to understand the further away these kids are the more paths they have to lead to failure, however, there's also more upside and more hope as well.

It's almost like investing your money in the stock market into a well-diversified portfolio and the international system is one piece of the puzzle that teams use to stock their farm systems.
    being excited about 16 year olds playing baseball is certainly not for the faint of hearted. As the old saying goes "prospects will break your heart"

I enjoy it.
    Well said. Following prospects and the farm has become something of a pleasure in and of itself for me in recent years...obviously the odds are stacked against any of these kids becoming stars or even cracking the majors at all, but it can still be fun to root for them and dream on their potential.

Upside potential is a fascinating aspect of being a fan.

Here's a short little video on the Sox signee Flores

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...vyHI0xg4m6C.97

Deity

These kids will go to the DSL, the good ones will come stateside after one year and play in the GCL and then they will move on to Lowell of Greenville.

The really good ones will skip a level. Rafael Devers moved from the DSL to the GCL in the middle of his first year in the system and skipped Lowell and went straight to Greenville the next. After spending a full season in the DSL Bryan Mata skipped botht the GCL and Lowell and is currently starting in Greenville this year.
    Good post!

Deity

I enjoy it.

A very good reason to follow them as they develop.

Deity

Hopefully trading Longhi plus a few works out for us in the long haul. It was obviously a move with a look to the future.

Legend
    Went to all 4 Portland games, one thing is a sure thing. Ball should be moved to another position, rolling Curveballs, not over-powering, problems with control. This kid used to hit in High School, try him out at another position. Gave up 2 HRS, to the worst hitting team in the Eastern League.
    Devers looks good, should be in Triple AAA.

Went to all 4 Portland games, one thing is a sure thing. Ball should be moved to another position, rolling Curveballs, not over-powering, problems with control. This kid used to hit in High School, try him out at another position. Gave up 2 HRS, to the worst hitting team in the Eastern League.
    They should have made this move a year or two ago. I wonder if it is now too late.

In other news, Owens is completely terrible in his Double A start. He lasted 2/3 of an inning, yielding 6 BBs, 3 Rs, 15 strikes (42 pitches). If the Red Sox need to open a spot on the 40 man roster, Owens could be the guy that is removed.

A great start for Groome at Greenville. In his last two starts combined: 10 IP, 1H, 0R, 3 BB, 13K. OH BABY!

If the Red Sox need to open a spot on the 40 man roster, Owens could be the guy that is removed.

What a sad story for Owens.

We may want to add Brentz back to the 40 man roster, if an OF'er or DH goes on the DL.

If we make a trade that does not involve a 40 man roster player, here is who might be on the trade or DFA bubble:

Henry Owens
    Hector Velazquez
    Doug Fister
    Blaine Boyer
    Pablo Sandoval
    Steve Selsky (Brentz may be ahead of him now)
    Luis Ysla
    Kyle Martin
    Fernando Abad
    Roenis Elias

Josh Rutledge or Robbie Ross: move to 60-day DL (retroactive)?

Depending on who we want to add and what position they play, there are quite a few options to choose from the above list.

Last edited by moonslav59; 07-04-2017 at 11:57 PM.