Register now to remove this ad

Page 273 of 299 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,095 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The fact that Castillo and Craig are off the 40 man roster doesn't mean they have no impact on the payroll. I'm sure Henry takes them into account when he calculates the team's profit. Also, if they do by chance play well and you want to use them, you have to put them back on the 40 man and incur the tax.
    I notice Castillo is hitting over .400 in ST. Does this mean he may actually show up on the team? (Or does this simply mean they haven't been throwing him any curve balls or fast balls anywhere other than over the plate?)

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I notice Castillo is hitting over .400 in ST. Does this mean he may actually show up on the team? (Or does this simply mean they haven't been throwing him any curve balls or fast balls anywhere other than over the plate?)
    Nope, AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

All-Star
    First cuts today included Workman, Johnson , Owens and Devers. Workman surprised me has been getting good results. Wonder if his stuff is still diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    First cuts today included Workman, Johnson , Owens and Devers. Workman surprised me has been getting good results. Wonder if his stuff is still diminished.
    He has options left- something Abad, Hembree and others do not, and I think management probably feels he needs more time to get to his best.

If he truly has recovered, he'll get ample opportunities to show he belongs in the bigs.

MLBTR ranks next year's possible FA class:

1. Jake Arrieta
    2. Yu Darvish
    3. Johnny Cueto
    4. Mashiro Tanaka
    5. Jonathan Lucroy
    6. JD Martinez
    7. Eric Hosmer
    8. Justin Upton
    9. Carlos Gonzalez
    10. Mike Moustakes
    "Just misses": C Tillman, T Frazier, M Pineda, C Santana, L Cain & W Davis.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    He has options left- something Abad, Hembree and others do not, and I think management probably feels he needs more time to get to his best.

If he truly has recovered, he'll get ample opportunities to show he belongs in the bigs.
    I understand the options part I am just surprised he was among 1st cuts. My guess is his stuff has not come all the way back. Have not heard any scouting reports on him this spring

I understand the options part I am just surprised he was among 1st cuts. My guess is his stuff has not come all the way back. Have not heard any scouting reports on him this spring
    I'm sure he's still going to work on returning to a higher level- just not with the big club in ST'ing. Maybe they just felt pitching a few more innings in ST'ing was not what he needs right now.

I look forward to seeing him get a chance later this season. I always liked him.

All-Star
    I'm sure he's still going to work on returning to a higher level- just not with the big club in ST'ing. Maybe they just felt pitching a few more innings in ST'ing was not what he needs right now.

I look forward to seeing him get a chance later this season. I always liked him.
    He's pitching in today's game.

He'll be up at some point this year for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

All-Star
    Because he is part of the first cuts I have to believe they have major concerns with his stuff. His TJ surgery was almost 2 years ago, sometimes it just doesn't take.

MLBTR ranks next year's possible FA class:

1. Jake Arrieta
    2. Yu Darvish
    3. Johnny Cueto
    4. Mashiro Tanaka
    5. Jonathan Lucroy
    6. JD Martinez
    7. Eric Hosmer
    8. Justin Upton
    9. Carlos Gonzalez
    10. Mike Moustakes
    "Just misses": C Tillman, T Frazier, M Pineda, C Santana, L Cain & W Davis.
    good to see Cubbies having to spend money to sign Arrieta. And they are already paying close to $16M for his last arb year.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-14-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    good to see Cubbies having to spend money to sign Arrieta. And they are already paying close to $16M for his last arb year.
    I doubt we have much money to sign a big FA next winter with extensions on the near horizon, but if we do, it's nice to see there are some good choices at areas we may have a high need:

3B: Moustakes
    1B: Hosmer
    C: Lucroy
    P: the top 4 on the list

Because he is part of the first cuts I have to believe they have major concerns with his stuff. His TJ surgery was almost 2 years ago, sometimes it just doesn't take.
    I don't think it indicates a "Major concern". I think they knew all along, he wasn't going to beat out a pitcher with no options remaining anyways.

Maybe they just wanted other pitchers to get the ST'ing innings. I may be wrong, but it seems like less double game dates this spring.

Maybe they felt Workman would get better workouts in another environment, and not be thinking about "making the team".

I doubt we have much money to sign a big FA next winter with extensions on the near horizon, but if we do, it's nice to see there are some good choices at areas we may have a high need:

3B: Moustakes
    1B: Hosmer
    C: Lucroy
    P: the top 4 on the list
    Hey why not (rhetorical)? I'd go after one the those pitchers...Johnny Cueto?

Now that we have a collection of decent starters, it's time to put the foot down and keep it going. Reset the penalty in 2017 and then break the bank until it hurts and build a dynasty.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-15-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Kyle Kendricks....4 scoreless innings. 0 walk, 4 K's. Lowers ERA to 1.59.

I think we have our 1st starter off the bench.

Sam Travis 2-3 with a homer. The kid can hit. He's way ahead of Devers due to his college experience.
    Last edited by Nick; 03-15-2017 at 02:03 PM.