Register now to remove this ad

Page 249 of 299 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249250251259 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,735 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Swihart on the 25 man roster also makes PH'ing for one or both of catchers easier to do, since the fear of ending up with nobody who can catch is gone.

He could also offer depth in LF and possibly at 1B, but I doubt we try to teach him 2 positions mid season.
    He needs to spend time developing in Pawtucket. Having him sit on the bench or moving him to a new position is NOT the best use of his talent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    Harmony I'm sure has never actually seen him play, he's basing everything off projections which are wrong quite a bit. You just see his swing and you know he's eventually going to be a good hitter.
    This is one of the dumbest things ever written on here (AND I SHOULD KNOW).
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    His second half ops was much higher in 15 once he got comfortable I believe over 800.
    And when he was super duper comfortable in September and October of that year, he was back down to 726.

Small arbitrary sample sizes are fun!
    I get MV Pee.

Swihart had a .931 OPS during August of 2015.

HE COULD EASILY BE A TOP TEN BASEBALLER IN 2017!!! http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/battin...OPS/order/true
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He needs to spend time developing in Pawtucket. Having him sit on the bench or moving him to a new position is NOT the best use of his talent.
    I don't disagree, but the same was said last year, and team needs trump prospect development plans. We saw it with Bogey. We saw it with Moncada. We saw it with Beni. We saw it with Swihart in LF last year.

Of course, we want to avoid having Swihart sit on the bench more than 25% of the games while in the bigs, but if Pabloi sucks, he could play FT at 3B. If Pablo and Moreland suck, he could play at 3B vs LHPs and DH vs RHPs and maybe catch some to make it so he's playing in over 75% of the games.

It's not ideal, but it could happen. To me, bad things would have to happen for him to get called up, so I'm not hoping it happens.

Say Swi is hitting .850 and is doing okay catching. Suddenly or not so suddenly, we have a big need at 3B, DH or LF. Rather than trade prospects and/or add salary by trading for a fix, we could try Swihart at a new position and save the prospects and money for a later need or move. How Vaz and/or Leon are doing might also play into any decisions made, so a lot needs to happen for Swi to move to a new position this season. The odds are against it happening.

Finding a de Aza type for LF can be done easily, but finding a good 3Bman or DH might cost us more than we are willing to give up.

And when he was super duper comfortable in September and October of that year, he was back down to 726.

Small arbitrary sample sizes are fun!
    How about an .805 in the second half of 2015 in 168 PAs.

It's not a large enough sample size for me, but it's double what some consider legit.

How about an .805 in the second half of 2015 in 168 PAs.

It's not a large enough sample size for me, but it's double what some consider legit.
    Fueled by a really hot August against terrible pitching.
    I get MV Pee.

I don't disagree, but the same was said last year, and team needs trump prospect development plans. We saw it with Bogey. We saw it with Moncada. We saw it with Beni. We saw it with Swihart in LF last year.

Of course, we want to avoid having Swihart sit on the bench more than 25% of the games while in the bigs, but if Pabloi sucks, he could play FT at 3B. If Pablo and Moreland suck, he could play at 3B vs LHPs and DH vs RHPs and maybe catch some to make it so he's playing in over 75% of the games.

It's not ideal, but it could happen. To me, bad things would have to happen for him to get called up, so I'm not hoping it happens.

Say Swi is hitting .850 and is doing okay catching. Suddenly or not so suddenly, we have a big need at 3B, DH or LF. Rather than trade prospects and/or add salary by trading for a fix, we could try Swihart at a new position and save the prospects and money for a later need or move. How Vaz and/or Leon are doing might also play into any decisions made, so a lot needs to happen for Swi to move to a new position this season. The odds are against it happening.

Finding a de Aza type for LF can be done easily, but finding a good 3Bman or DH might cost us more than we are willing to give up.

The best use of Swihart's skillset is at C as most C's can't hit very well. If he can be a serviceable C with a .850 bat, you'd be crazy to move him off the position.
    I get MV Pee.

The idea that Swihart has "it" solely based on hopes and dreams is very interesting to me.

BUT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES HOW GREAT HIS BAT IS! HIS NUMBERS DON'T MATTER!

Armchair scouts are the same type of people who declared Ryan Lavarnway to be "the real deal" in 2011. How'd that work out?

Until he hits .800 over the course of a full season, he's not that guy and he shouldn't be expected to be.
    I get MV Pee.

All-Star
    This is one of the dumbest things ever written on here (AND I SHOULD KNOW).
    Actually your response is stupid have you seen his swing there is a thing called scouting and knowing when a player is going to be a good hitter. Have you actually watched him play not so sure.

All-Star
    Fueled by a really hot August against terrible pitching.
    You are reaching.

All-Star
    The idea that Swihart has "it" solely based on hopes and dreams is very interesting to me.

BUT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES HOW GREAT HIS BAT IS! HIS NUMBERS DON'T MATTER!

Armchair scouts are the same type of people who declared Ryan Lavarnway to be "the real deal" in 2011. How'd that work out?

Until he hits .800 over the course of a full season, he's not that guy and he shouldn't be expected to be.
    No one who knows baseball thought he was a sure thing many holes in his swing.

All-Star
    Swihart had a .931 OPS during August of 2015.

HE COULD EASILY BE A TOP TEN BASEBALLER IN 2017!!! http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/battin...OPS/order/true
    No one is saying he will be top ten in baseball, you are being ridiculous. We are saying he has the potential, just like every scouting service in baseball has said he has .

Trade Dustin Pedroia!!!!!!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Trade Dustin Pedroia!!!!!!
    Nice way to lighten it up.