Register now to remove this ad

Page 163 of 299 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I agree that golf is a sport because 1) It involves a ball [or a puck] and 2), you keep score.

But your definition makes cheerleading a sport and there's no way I'm buying into that!!
    Well, I would agree that the cheerleading that is done during a football or basketball game is not a sport.

However, there is a whole world of competitive cheerleading which I would classify as a sport. I'm thinking it's similar to gymnastics.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Next, they'll be calling driving a car making a bunch of left hand turns a sport.
    LOL If there is a 'sport' that I wouldn't call a sport, it would be racing.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    By your logic, foosball and jacks are sports...
    I used to love playing jacks! Good stuff.

I agree, and in my experience it's why I like the sport of wrestling. Wrestling is all about sportsmanship, respect, and ethics - at least where I live it is.

Wrestling is also an obvious sport Notin overlooked in his remark to my prior post. Although wrestling doesn't involve a ball we do keep score, and the participants are more athletic than jacks players. Maybe the most athletic of any sport.
    What I don't like about wrestling is the way that wrestlers starve themselves in an unhealthy way for several days in order to make weight before a match. I have seen this in some of my friends when I was a high school student, and as a teacher, I have seen this in some students. Maybe it's my ignorance about the sport, but something doesn't seem right with that.

Well, my goal was to simply disprove your definition, not to create a comprehensive list. My original post included Gnip Gnop, which fit your definition of a sport but I felt might be too obscure of a reference for some of the younger readers.
    Yeah.. well...,. I guess I assumed that most people wouldn't think that I believed that any activity that has a ball and we keep score is a sport and any activity in which we don't have a ball and/or keep score isn't. It was more of a general tongue-in-cheek comment and not intended to be taken literally. Especially when I later talked positively about wrestling, which doesn't have a ball.

But I do appreciate your effort to disprove my "definition"!
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    What I don't like about wrestling is the way that wrestlers starve themselves in an unhealthy way for several days in order to make weight before a match. I have seen this in some of my friends when I was a high school student, and as a teacher, I have seen this in some students. Maybe it's my ignorance about the sport, but something doesn't seem right with that.
    I don't disagree that we have a ways to go yet in protecting our young players, and wrestling isn't the only sport. I'm not completely comfortable with the risk of concussion high school and younger (or anyone, for that matter) football and soccer players are subjected to. I don't like how many Little Leaguers are throwing curve balls or how many young pitchers are throwing too many pitches in games. Locally we had a high school pitcher throw 162 pitches in a state championship game. I think that's too many, and in fact many states are now limiting the number of pitches a pitcher can throw in a game. My state is in the process of adopting a rule like that for this season that's consistent with what other states are doing. Is it in response to the kid throwing 162? We'll never know. If not it's a huge coincidence.

I agree that something doesn't seem right about wrestlers starving themselves to make weight and I wish it weren't that way, but my point still remains that wrestling in my part of the country is possibly the greatest example of team sportsmanship and overall good behavior by the participants of any sport I see. I'd like to think that the weight issue will change but until parents and coaches monitor the wrestlers weights on a day-to-day basis it probably won't, and I don't see that happening.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

To me, just having physical forced placed upon you, such as G forces with car racing, does not make it a sport.

I am fully aware of the forces and stresses on a car racer. I'm not "ignorant".

Is flying an Air Force jet a sport?

Would it be, if they raced?
    Probably not but when was the last time you saw a guy like Pablo flying an F-22?

What a dumb analogy.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post

You would not last very long unless you were in very good athletic condition.
    While I agree auto racing id a sport, trying to defend it as one by highlighting the physical stresses involved does make me laugh.

You have to be in pretty good shape to survive basic training. But that doesn't make it a sport...

Deity
    Yeah.. well...,. I guess I assumed that most people wouldn't think that I believed that any activity that has a ball and we keep score is a sport and any activity in which we don't have a ball and/or keep score isn't. It was more of a general tongue-in-cheek comment and not intended to be taken literally. Especially when I later talked positively about wrestling, which doesn't have a ball.

But I do appreciate your effort to disprove my "definition"!
    Im here for you.

I really wanted to keep Gnip Gnop in there because its funnier. But alas, not so timeless.

I work with a Canadian fellow who insists any activity where players or teams take turns (football, baseball) are "games" but a sport is an activity where the ball is out there for everyone, like (primarily) hockey, but also like in basketball, soccer, and of course foosball and quiddage...

While I agree auto racing id a sport, trying to defend it as one by highlighting the physical stresses involved does make me laugh.

You have to be in pretty good shape to survive basic training. But that doesn't make it a sport...
    Physical stress plus racing pretty much seals the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Probably not but when was the last time you saw a guy like Pablo flying an F-22?

What a dumb analogy.
    It was an analogy that related to the G stress and mental stress that car racers are under. One mistake and you could be dead.

IMO, not a sport...just and adventurous and dangerous game.

It was an analogy that related to the G stress and mental stress that car racers are under. One mistake and you could be dead.

IMO, not a sport...just and adventurous and dangerous game.
    Your definition of sport seems pretty narrow.

Regardless, it's widely accepted as a sport. A race car driver was SI's Sportsman of the Year in 1973.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Physical stress plus racing pretty much seals the deal.
    Doesn't racing alone seal the deal? I think most races held outside of county fairs and rural festivals are sports....

Doesn't racing alone seal the deal? I think most races held outside of county fairs and rural festivals are sports....
    I think it does, but some folks seem to have an issue with the fact that there's a machine involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think it does, but some folks seem to have an issue with the fact that there's a machine involved.
    That and no right turns. I mean, at least add a little more challenge.

I get the fact that it is physically demanding to race a car at those speeds for that long of a period, but I just don't see it as being a sport.