Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this team have what it takes?

Hybrid View

Does this team have what it takes?

I'll confess, I've never believed in this team, and God knows I've tried. In 2013, that team had greatness stamped on it from opening day. Right away you knew, there was something different. This team? I've never been able to figure out, and every time I've ever had that in my life with my teams in any sport I've followed, they have not won. Every time I start to believe they've settled in, they pull what they've pulled the last two days, every time this year without fail. I could see this team falling completely out of the playoffs, winning the whole thing or anything in between, you just can't tell. And usually when you can't tell, you lose. Anyone else feel this way, or am I just a gloom and doomer?

I just want to make the playoffs. Once you do that the AL is pretty much up for grabs, I think. There aren't any really scary teams in the AL. There are good ones, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the other day that there was no one I was afraid of. I'd like home field though, at least in the divisional round. Don't like our chances of passing Texas, so someone would have to beat them if we can get past Cleveland (and hang on to the East?)

You're just a doom and gloomer.

LOL...what bugs me about this team is not its potential or its talent, it's just the consistency. You just never know what you're going to get from night to night. And the other thing is the lack of late comeback wins (2013 was vintage as it should be) and the inability to win consistently in close games. Those are both huge red flags when it comes to the postseason. I don't have hard numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that in 3/4 of Red Sox games, whoever scores first wins--no matter which team it is. Too many of their wins are by blowout, and too many losses are close games.

Quote Originally Posted by Examiner View Post
    LOL...what bugs me about this team is not its potential or its talent, it's just the consistency. You just never know what you're going to get from night to night. And the other thing is the lack of late comeback wins (2013 was vintage as it should be) and the inability to win consistently in close games. Those are both huge red flags when it comes to the postseason. I don't have hard numbers, but I'd be willing to bet that in 3/4 of Red Sox games, whoever scores first wins--no matter which team it is. Too many of their wins are by blowout, and too many losses are close games.
    I have not looked at the numbers, but I tend to agree that it seems like this team rarely has a late comeback win. I can't remember too many walk off wins this season either.

However, the statement that I bolded, as frustrating as it is to watch, is actually a sign of a good team.

As far as I can remember, there has only been one walk off win. It was on a Sunday in May I think. It was the game where Papi tied it with a double to center in the 9th, and then hit almost an exact duplicate double to win it in the tenth or eleventh. I can't think of any other. By this time in 2013, there were what, 11? Or was it 8? Either way it was a lot.

Legend
    As far as I can remember, there has only been one walk off win. It was on a Sunday in May I think. It was the game where Papi tied it with a double to center in the 9th, and then hit almost an exact duplicate double to win it in the tenth or eleventh. I can't think of any other. By this time in 2013, there were what, 11? Or was it 8? Either way it was a lot.
    The Red Sox had walk-off wins on May 15 and June 23 and walk-off losses on May 28, June 12, July 28, August 24 and September 4:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Red Sox had walk-off wins on May 15 and June 23 and walk-off losses on May 28, June 12, July 28, August 24 and September 4:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...e-scores.shtml
    Yeah, the May one I remember, don't the other one. But we are -3 in walk offs.

Does Toronto "have what it takes"?

Does any other AL team?

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Does Toronto "have what it takes"?

Does any other AL team?

Stay tuned.
    As I said above, no one scares me except the Red Sox themselves. This team has the sense of an underachiever.

As I said above, no one scares me except the Red Sox themselves. This team has the sense of an underachiever.
    Imagine being a Jays fan. Talk about looking rotten.

The Yanks and O's are the only two teams playing above their expectations.

They don't scare me much.

This has been one of the stranger seasons as a baseball fan, especially in the AL. I really have no idea who will make world series in AL, and wouldn't be on any team.

If Showalter or Girardi managed the Red Sox we would be leading the Division by 5 games.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    If Showalter or Girardi managed the Red Sox we would be leading the Division by 5 games.
    yeah...because girardi showed how great of an in game manager he was last night.
    other names i have posted under: none