Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yordano Ventura?

I do not see that 1-2 being available, nor do I see him becoming available in the next month.

The problem with hankering after a TOTR starter is that literally all 30 teams hanker after a TOTR starter. That means that that guy is just often not out there and when he is, everyone else wants to give an arm and a leg for them. To suspend your search for all possible upgrades for the rotation while you wait for a trade that may never happen and might not even be a good idea if it does, is foolishness.

I agree with you this much -- Yordano ventura is not someone you acquire with your mind on getting a top of the rotation starter. My position is that Ventura fills our immediate needs and far more importantly than that, is the bird in the hand, a guy you can get, now, that fills a need now. In that light, holding out for rainbow moondream tradess will not win this team any games between now and July 31st (which I see as the first realistic time one of those TOTR guys might become available). Having Ventura in the rotation might win you 1 or 2 more games in this tight division so it should be pursued.

Make the trades you have to make, now, to improve the team, now, and get us maybe another game or 2 in the standings over waiting for the deadline and maybe having to sit pat because someone else blew your trade proposal out of the water for the guy you wanted. This choice does not seem particularly hard to me.
    Last edited by Dojji; 06-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I'm sold.
    We miss you Mike.

Wonder what would it take to land Ventura if so... The KCR will try to sell his youth and relative success in recent years like gold.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

I'm interested. The fact that there are issues attached should make the return not as high as it might otherwise be.
    I'm not saying I'd give anything for him, but I'd certainly kick the tires.
    We don't need a number 5 starter. We have about 7 of those.
    We need to build our rotation from or near the top.

Yordano definitely takes after his father Robin Ventura, both are feisty players but like his dad, Yordano Ventura has a lot of talent. I would definitely be for trading for this guy. He is young, cost controlled and has a lot of talent, his biggest issue is between the ears. At the absolute worst case scenario, he is an upgrade over our current 5th starter. Not having to watch Kelly and Buchholz alone would make this deal worth it.

Wha? Robin Ventura is not related to Yordano in any way, shape or form.
    We miss you Mike.

NESN is reporting that Ventura has been suspended for nine games and will be paying an unspecified fine. Muchado got a four game suspension.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Nine games. There goes a chunk of his current value.

Boy. The fact that KC wants him gone should worry people more.

Why do Sox fans believe that he would straighten out here?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Major Leaguer
    Lets send Clay to them for Ventura. I'll take my chances. An attitude can be adjusted. Change of scenery for both pitchers, could work out sweet for us, just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Nine games. There goes a chunk of his current value.

Boy. The fact that KC wants him gone should worry people more.

Why do Sox fans believe that he would straighten out here?
    I agree. I'm scared of this guy. He strikes me as the player with a million dollar arm and a 10c brain.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

A little more. Detail on what transpired and his availability rumor seems premature:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1040525

------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We don't need a number 5 starter. We have about 7 of those.
    If that was true, we wouldn't be using a 4 man rotation right now. We have exactly 0 #5 starters.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    If that was true, we wouldn't be using a 4 man rotation right now. We have exactly 0 #5 starters.
    We're using a 4 man rotation right now because of all the days off we have make that possible.

I think Elias gets another shot for #5 slot right?

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    We're using a 4 man rotation right now because of all the days off we have make that possible.
    You don't use a 4 man rotation, regardless of the amount of off days you have, unless you have #5 starter that sucks. Kelly/Buchholz aren't #5 starters, they've so far been "shouldn't be in league but we have literally no other options" starters.