Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Making History

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I am a Sox fan and will freely admit that I want to see Ortiz in the HOF.

I used to think that if he got to 500 HR then his credentials were good enough.

Now that he has eclipsed that milestone I still believe that regardless of what he does before he retires, that PED "cloud" will be held against him.

The media made a big deal out of it and it has never gone away. Anytime an open discussion of his HOF worthiness is undertaken, the "cloud" of PED use is mentioned.

So I do think that it is a real issue. Even if he has never been proven to have done anything against MLB rules. It's just the way things are.
    That was my point.

I never said he did or didn't use PEDs, just that there is a cloud and that combined with being pretty much a career DH may make it tougher.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    TBSB made a valid point, even if he is a damned Yankees fan. Proven or not, there is talk of steroids associated with David Ortiz. Maybe not as much as with Bonds or McGwire, but enough to make me doubt that he will be inducted within his first few years. I do think that eventually all of these guys will be inducted; Bonds, Ortiz, Clemens, et cetera cannot be denied forever. Their stats are just too good, even from the years where they were not proven to have used or allegedly used PEDs. As for the DH issue, Edgar Martinez has still not been inducted, and that indicates to me that TBSB's other point, that Ortiz' career as a DH might hinder his chances, is also valid. We've had to learn after years of posting by jacksonianmarch that we can't ignore unfavorable opinions or insights about the Red Sox just because they come from Yankees fans. TBSB may be annoying, but in this particular thread, he is absolutely correct in that there is a chance that these issues might hamstring Ortiz's HOF chances. Accusing someone of trolling simply for posting a contrary opinion has long been the last refuge of those with no rebuttal. If you disagree with TBSB, then explain why with opinions, facts, and debate instead of insults. And TBSB, stop responding to it with more insults.
    Last edited by Youk Of The Nation; 05-25-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    TBSB made a valid point, even if he is a damned Yankees fan. Proven or not, there is talk of steroids associated with David Ortiz. Maybe not as much as with Bonds or McGwire, but enough to make me doubt that he will be inducted within his first few years. I do think that eventually all of these guys will be inducted; Bonds, Ortiz, Clemens, et cetera cannot be denied forever. Their stats are just too good, even from the years where they were not proven to have used or allegedly used PEDs.
    If Bonds and Clemens don't get in, the HOF is just a farce. I understand the reasons that Rose has been left out, but singling out Clemens and Bonds when a ton of other guys were doing the same thing doesn't make sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    If Bonds and Clemens don't get in, the HOF is just a farce. I understand the reasons that Rose has been left out, but singling out Clemens and Bonds when a ton of other guys were doing the same thing doesn't make sense to me.
    Well, it's not just them. Sosa, McGwire, and Palmeiro's vote totals are clearly being affected by the voter's opinions on PEDs. Granted, those three guys might not have the same slam-dunk case for the HOF, given that HRs are basically their only claim to greatness, but they should at least be getting a far higher percentage than they are. Your basic argument is one I agree with, however. They played in an era of baseball where a lot of guys were doing it, guys who did not accumulate the stats and longevity that makes a case for the HOF. That should be an indicator that the PEDs, while reprehensible, were not responsible for their success. Clemens and Bonds would have been HOFers without PEDs, and they should still be HOFers with them.
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I don't believe Sosa and McGwire should get in though. They were one trick ponies who skewed their stats for a couple of seasons. Palmeiro should probably get in, but lying in front of Congress was just dumb.
    I get MV Pee.

I don't believe Sosa and McGwire should get in though. They were one trick ponies who skewed their stats for a couple of seasons. Palmeiro should probably get in, but lying in front of Congress was just dumb.
    Yeah, that's what I meant about the HRs. Without them, they are slightly-above-average players at best, and they broke down quickly. But I think with the HR numbers, and without the PED cloud, they would have gotten more votes. I doubt they would have gotten the HR numbers in the first place, but if they had done it cleanly, a lot of voters would automatically vote for guys with their HR numbers regardless of other stats.

i dont understand your post.
    McGwire played 16 seasons of MLB ball. His first full season he hit 49 HR's and was ROY. his final season he hit 29. ending up with 583 dongs.
    Sosa played 18 seasons. 12 seasons with over 25 HR's. 11 seasons with 33+ HR's. and 7 seasons with more than 40! hr's. MVP. finished his career with 609!!! bombs.
    how can you say clemens and bonds deserve to be in but not these two???
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by TheBabeStrikesBack View Post
    That was my point.

I never said he did or didn't use PEDs, just that there is a cloud and that combined with being pretty much a career DH may make it tougher.
    That is how I interpreted your post.

And your observations are valid.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    TBSB made a valid point, even if he is a damned Yankees fan. Proven or not, there is talk of steroids associated with David Ortiz. Maybe not as much as with Bonds or McGwire, but enough to make me doubt that he will be inducted within his first few years. I do think that eventually all of these guys will be inducted; Bonds, Ortiz, Clemens, et cetera cannot be denied forever. Their stats are just too good, even from the years where they were not proven to have used or allegedly used PEDs. As for the DH issue, Edgar Martinez has still not been inducted, and that indicates to me that TBSB's other point, that Ortiz' career as a DH might hinder his chances, is also valid. We've had to learn after years of posting by jacksonianmarch that we can't ignore unfavorable opinions or insights about the Red Sox just because they come from Yankees fans. TBSB may be annoying, but in this particular thread, he is absolutely correct in that there is a chance that these issues might hamstring Ortiz's HOF chances. Accusing someone of trolling simply for posting a contrary opinion has long been the last refuge of those with no rebuttal. If you disagree with TBSB, then explain why with opinions, facts, and debate instead of insults. And TBSB, stop responding to it with more insults.
    Wow. Now I began to understand the importance of being the new guy. A Yankee fan--and I know many and always have friendly discussions with them--takes over a thread entitled "Making History," which is about several Sox doing significant statistical things this season, only one of whom is David Ortiz. He takes this opportunity to lambast one of our favorite players over a "cloud" hanging over Ortiz's head. I take up the cause to defend Ortiz even though I agree he was in fact tested and failed in 2003. My point is that Ortiz has been, for all any of us know, been absolutely clean since 2003, which was Ortiz's first year in Boston, where his huge success began. Earlier with the Twins he was not nearly what he became, yet one can presume that was the period, assuming there was one, of presumed PED use. MLB started serious testing, which has continued unabated, in 2004. This year, 2016, 13 years after 2003 and after many, many drug tests which were all negative, Ortiz is having an incredible year for someone of his age. Said Yankee fan attacks Ortiz, not just for that 2003 test, but for everything Ortiz has accomplished since then, including this year.

And our arbiter of all that is sensible takes the side of said Yankee fan, whose only apparent purpose was to prevent any Sox fan discussion of "making history" in 2016. And I, the newbie, find myself, once again, on the wrong side of the argument because I had the temerity to defend Ortiz.

Bonds - 162 WAR, JAWS 117
    Clemens - 140 WAR, JAWS 103
    Sosa - 58 WAR, JAWS 58 (worse than Larry Walker, Dwight Evans, Reggie Smith)
    McGwire - 62 WAR, JAWS 52 (worse than Palmeiro and Bagwell)

JAWS is a great Hall of Fame indicator. I think there are much more deserving people to vote for than McGwire and Sosa. Therefore, they don't get in.
    I get MV Pee.

Yeah, that's what I meant about the HRs. Without them, they are slightly-above-average players at best, and they broke down quickly. But I think with the HR numbers, and without the PED cloud, they would have gotten more votes. I doubt they would have gotten the HR numbers in the first place, but if they had done it cleanly, a lot of voters would automatically vote for guys with their HR numbers regardless of other stats.
    Isn't Palmiero a member of the 3K hit club? He was also a pretty good fielder from what I recall. To say he didn't do anything outside of his PED induced HR totals is just wrong.

Max,

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Ortiz is putting himself into rare air with the offensive numbers he will end up with. it will be very difficult for the HoF voters to keep him out.
    TBSB responded to this by saying that it would be hard for him to get in due to the PED rumors.

Not sure what the big deal is?
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i dont understand your post.
    McGwire played 16 seasons of MLB ball. His first full season he hit 49 HR's and was ROY. his final season he hit 29. ending up with 583 dongs.
    Sosa played 18 seasons. 12 seasons with over 25 HR's. 11 seasons with 33+ HR's. and 7 seasons with more than 40! hr's. MVP. finished his career with 609!!! bombs.
    how can you say clemens and bonds deserve to be in but not these two???
    Because those seasons with lots of HRs were their only noteworthy accomplishments. Neither of them sniffed 3000 hits despite 16 and 18 years in the majors hitting bombs. They didn't accumulate a HOF-worthy resume of hits, walks, batting average, or anything other than those HRs. McGwire isn't even on the top 1000 list of career batting average. Sosa is in a five-way tie for 840th that includes Erick Aybar. McGwire and Sosa are low on the list of top career WAR. (160 and 197 respectively, behind guys like David Cone and Chase Utley.) On the list for career OBP, McGwire is 81st, behind Johnny Pesky, Bobby Abreu, John Olerud, and John Kruk. I could go on and on. Most of the guys ahead of them in these categories are not in the HOF, that's how far behind they are. HRs are the beginning and end of their skill set.

Max. i believe most Red Sox fans are scared of Yankees fans. it's from all those years where the yankees were the hammer and the red sox were the nail. growing up in enemy territory i grew up scrapping and clawing with the MFY fans. so me, i'm not scared to call them out or go back at them. after all, i drive around in NJ with my personalized NJ license plate RDSOX. pretty sure i get 50-100 middle fingers a day.
    but between 10 years at BDC and my short time here i once again see Sox fans catering to the MFY fan that is only here to stir the pot.

FWIW - i believe that jacksonian is like our "jeter" from BDC and is not here to just sitr the pot but to have insightful discussion.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Wow. Now I began to understand the importance of being the new guy. A Yankee fan--and I know many and always have friendly discussions with them--takes over a thread entitled "Making History," which is about several Sox doing significant statistical things this season, only one of whom is David Ortiz. He takes this opportunity to lambast one of our favorite players over a "cloud" hanging over Ortiz's head. I take up the cause to defend Ortiz even though I agree he was in fact tested and failed in 2003. My point is that Ortiz has been, for all any of us know, been absolutely clean since 2003, which was Ortiz's first year in Boston, where his huge success began. Earlier with the Twins he was not nearly what he became, yet one can presume that was the period, assuming there was one, of presumed PED use. MLB started serious testing, which has continued unabated, in 2004. This year, 2016, 13 years after 2003 and after many, many drug tests which were all negative, Ortiz is having an incredible year for someone of his age. Said Yankee fan attacks Ortiz, not just for that 2003 test, but for everything Ortiz has accomplished since then, including this year.

And our arbiter of all that is sensible takes the side of said Yankee fan, whose only apparent purpose was to prevent any Sox fan discussion of "making history" in 2016. And I, the newbie, find myself, once again, on the wrong side of the argument because I had the temerity to defend Ortiz.
    I would suggest you take a course in reading comprehension as it is something that you obviously do not have a firm grasp on at this time.

I neither lambasted nor attacked Ortiz.

Please, get a clue.