Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Offense 2016

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    How are you defining great teams? We've played every division in the very tough AL East, we've played the White Sox who are an early favorite, and we took 4 of 6 from NYY. The only "great team" we haven't seen yet who's really tearing it up this year is CHC.
    Kingface may also be thinking of what we have done, in large part, to other team's #1s. Sonny Gray, for instance - even though he seems to be having a rough start to the season as well. But we did pretty well against others, as long as they weren't lefties.

This offense has been fun and exciting to watch. You never really get the sense that they are out of a game.

The offense is due to regress, as others have pointed out, but even with that, regression from an .820 OPS is still going to be a very potent offense. If they regress to a .770 OPS, they'll still be one of the top 2 offenses in the AL.

The main concern for this team is getting Price back on track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    How are you defining great teams? We've played every division in the very tough AL East, we've played the White Sox who are an early favorite, and we took 4 of 6 from NYY. The only "great team" we haven't seen yet who's really tearing it up this year is CHC.
    Well........'great' was said in sarcasm......however we have played a total of 8 games against teams with an over .500 record. 2 were against Cleveland that is 1 game over .500........and we have gone 4-4 against those teams (Cle, Balt, CHW). So I am 100% correct in what I said......beat the teams we should beat (Which we have) and split against the good teams (which we have)..........no clue what you're trying to argue about........

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    This offense has been fun and exciting to watch. You never really get the sense that they are out of a game.

The offense is due to regress, as others have pointed out, but even with that, regression from an .820 OPS is still going to be a very potent offense. If they regress to a .770 OPS, they'll still be one of the top 2 offenses in the AL.

The main concern for this team is getting Price back on track.

Kimmi,

You know I don't use this type of language out of context, but after last night, again ..... ddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Keuchel is probably praying for a little regression from the Sox offense about now.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Legend
    What is fun is that the attack has found a sort of happy hybrid of the Royals sort of high contact, gap hitting and old school take and rake Red Sox. Shaw and Bogaerts have both gotten off to MVP-flavoured starts. Striking difference in the left side of the infield.

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxnCycles View Post
    Keuchel is probably praying for a little regression from the Sox offense about now.
    Heh, G1!!!

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    What is fun is that the attack has found a sort of happy hybrid of the Royals sort of high contact, gap hitting and old school take and rake Red Sox. Shaw and Bogaerts have both gotten off to MVP-flavoured starts. Striking difference in the left side of the infield.
    I am remembering blathering on about Ells and Vic being the high speed part of a power offense back in '13. I was really looking forward to speed AND pop. In all honesty, I couldn't be enjoying all the speed on the basepaths, the 1st to 3rd, or even better 1st to home, as well as the sudden surge of HR power from Pedey, JBJ, Hanley, Shaw and the ongoing power of Papi. It is a treat. Just because we get a single doesn't mean that moment has ended ... EVEN HANLEY IS STEALING.

It used to be that a guy could get up and make a sandwich, come back and sit down and if it was man on 1st, it would still be man on 1st. Now you make the sammich and come back and he's turning the corner for third because the throw skips into center ...

Quote Originally Posted by SinceYaz View Post
    I am remembering blathering on about Ells and Vic being the high speed part of a power offense back in '13. I was really looking forward to speed AND pop. In all honesty, I couldn't be enjoying all the speed on the basepaths, the 1st to 3rd, or even better 1st to home, as well as the sudden surge of HR power from Pedey, JBJ, Hanley, Shaw and the ongoing power of Papi. It is a treat. Just because we get a single doesn't mean that moment has ended ... EVEN HANLEY IS STEALING.

It used to be that a guy could get up and make a sandwich, come back and sit down and if it was man on 1st, it would still be man on 1st. Now you make the sammich and come back and he's turning the corner for third because the throw skips into center ...
    It's not only speed, it's smarts, Some of these players who are stealing bases aren't necessarily fast, they're just taking advantage of situations. Hanley isn't going to win the 100 yard dash against anyone with real speed. I've seen Travis Shaw steal a base because the pitcher wasn't checking on him. I've seen Mookie (whom I'll grant you has good speed) steal a base because he can see that a pitch is going to be in the dirt. That's not just speed. That's smart, and IMO it has to disrupt the thinking of the infielders and it also builds team momentum.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    It's not only speed, it's smarts, Some of these players who are stealing bases aren't necessarily fast, they're just taking advantage of situations. Hanley isn't going to win the 100 yard dash against anyone with real speed. I've seen Travis Shaw steal a base because the pitcher wasn't checking on him. I've seen Mookie (whom I'll grant you has good speed) steal a base because he can see that a pitch is going to be in the dirt. That's not just speed. That's smart, and IMO it has to disrupt the thinking of the infielders and it also builds team momentum.
    i am pretty sure that the second the ball hits the dirt he takes off for 2nd everytime. i believe those end up being WP's instead of SB's but there are a bunch that just about every other player would not have advanced as the catcher blocked it.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    i am pretty sure that the second the ball hits the dirt he takes off for 2nd everytime. i believe those end up being WP's instead of SB's but there are a bunch that just about every other player would not have advanced as the catcher blocked it.
    I like that strategy. When you consider the fact that whether a runner is safe or out at second base on a straight steal is usually measured in 10ths of a second the chances of a catcher fielding a ball in the dirt, making a clean transfer to his throwing hand and then making an accurate throw are quite low, a runner's chances of being successful are quite high. I've always been surprised that other teams/runners don't employ that strategy. We do have to remember that once in a while he's going to get caught at it. When that happens we also have to remember the times he was successful.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Kimmi has demonstrated that disruptive base runners are of almost no consequence.

You missed that class, obviously.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Kimmi has demonstrated that disruptive base runners are of almost no consequence.

You missed that class, obviously.
    Ok. Leaving those two things out, it's still a good idea!
    -Vin Scully

@alexspeier Betts, the weak link in the Sox lineup so far, is on pace for 28 HR and 35 SB
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @alexspeier Betts, the weak link in the Sox lineup so far, is on pace for 28 HR and 35 SB
    That tells me nothing. What about his OPS+ and his BApip?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."