Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Young thread

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    That's always been my policy when it comes to underpeforming players. I've been on the site since I was 17. If you read back through all of my old posts, you'd see that basically after the age of 19 or 20, I haven't really had strong negative opinions about players. I give them a lot of slack because of the length of a baseball season and the tendency to have bad years followed by good ones. Unpredictability is part of baseball. No one could have expected Carl Crawford or Edgar Renteria to be as bad as they were for the Sox, just as no one could have expected Daniel Nava to be so good for the team in the beginning before he reverted to what he was (a quadruple-A player).

That being said, I don't really care one way or the other about Young. I don't expect him to have a significant impact on the team, positive or negative, and I would be perfectly fine if they could find some other use for his roster spot.
    I liked the Young signing at the time that it happened. I felt like he would provide insurance in case Castillo did not pan out. To be honest though, at the time, I did not consider the lack of left handed starters in the AL East.

IMO, our bench as a whole leaves a lot to be desired, Hanigan aside.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

IMO, our bench as a whole leaves a lot to be desired, Hanigan aside.
    I can't argue with that. Luckily, bench guys are a lot easier to find, especially when the deadline rolls around.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I can't argue with that. Luckily, bench guys are a lot easier to find, especially when the deadline rolls around.
    That's true.

What's odd about the bench situation is that going into ST, I thought our bench was going to be a strength. Holt really needs to be a supersub, where he provides more value to the team.

I wonder if a deal could be made for Colby Rasmus. He'd be an ideal LHH platoon partner with Young.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Rasmus is killing it in Houston. I doubt they trade unless they really tank all thhe way to the ASB.
    We miss you Mike.

Atleast Young gets 22 ABs, Castillo didn't get any. Look, castillo could very well be sunk costs compared to his contract. All I'm saying is that he's probably more valuable than Young in LF. Defensively by a lot, offensively maybe just slightly. But You play the better player that could help the team win. I personally think that better player is Castillo over Young.

Castillo had a lousy spring. I have said this A LOT......PLAY (*&^%'N CASTILLO!!!!!!!! What do you have to lose. Pretty sure the drop-off from Yound/Holt would not be more than Young/Castillo......... Holt should be the IF bench player. Young should be OF and Castillo the starter...... (I would rather have Castillo/Holt.......but the Sox committed to Young for decent $$$ for 2 years.......)

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Rasmus is killing it in Houston. I doubt they trade unless they really tank all thhe way to the ASB.
    Rasmus is in the last year of his contract and if I'm not mistaken Houston is in mid rebuild. Rasmus will be raded, it's only a question of to whom and how much they can milk a team for.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Rasmus is in the last year of his contract and if I'm not mistaken Houston is in mid rebuild. Rasmus will be raded, it's only a question of to whom and how much they can milk a team for.
    What are you talking about? Rasmus was a FA, they offered him a QO, he took it, and they made no effort to trade him afterwards. In fact, they were working on a multi-year deal before he accepted the QO.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    He is ill-suited to be the 4 the outfielder as he cant hit RHP and we rarely face LHP.
    Sox faced LHP 28% of the time last year. That is definitely a low number, I think the average is around 32%.

Just have to hope Young makes it pay off with some AB's against lefties in big moments - which will come, hopefully.

You know things are going pretty well when one of the biggest quibbles on the team right now is the usage of the 4th OF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    You know things are going pretty well when one of the biggest quibbles on the team right now is the usage of the 4th OF.
    Yup, it's like complaining that the 12th pitcher isn't reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingface View Post
    Castillo had a lousy spring. I have said this A LOT......PLAY (*&^%'N CASTILLO!!!!!!!! What do you have to lose. Pretty sure the drop-off from Yound/Holt would not be more than Young/Castillo......... Holt should be the IF bench player. Young should be OF and Castillo the starter...... (I would rather have Castillo/Holt.......but the Sox committed to Young for decent $$$ for 2 years.......)
    I agree that I'd rather see Castillo getting time over Young... but I do like Holt as an everyday player. Holt can still be moved to the infield when needed then our 4th outfielder can come off the bench.

The question for me is when a bench fill in is not needed for the infield (the majority of the time) who do you want sitting on the bench not contributing...Young, Castillo, or Holt? No brainer.

Young has shut a lot of people up. This is why we don't DFA a proven solid player after 20 AB

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    Young has shut a lot of people up. This is why we don't DFA a proven solid player after 20 AB
    A lot of the early criticism of Young was really silly...he is raking against LHP as expected (1.175 OPS) and even holding his own against RHP (.807). I was ripping Farrell earlier in the year for playing him against righthanders so much, but so far that has worked out better than we had any right to expect.

I'd still like to find him a lefthanded platoon partner, though.