Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Red Sox fan since 1972

Red Sox fan since 1972

I've already posted on the BDC refugee thread, but I thought I'd let you know more about how I became a fan. Back in 1972, I was listening to a Red Sox Game with a transistor radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be trying to sleep. The Sox had a three game series with Detroit, and had a half game lead. In this game they had a chance to have a big inning, but Luis Aparicio slipped rounding third on a sure triple for Yaz. He tried to get back to third and Yaz saw him too late. Yaz tried to retreat to second and was tagged out. The Sox didn't score the rest of the game and lost. The Tigers won the next game to get a game and a half lead. Because this was a strike shortened season, the Sox played one less game than Detroit. So even though they won the final game, they finished a half game out. To come so close and not make it was agonizing. So of course, I was hooked.

And the agony became despair in 1986. From that year on I wandered through the desert, barely keeping tabs on the team that had hooked me by coming so tantalizingly close only to fail at every turn. But 2003 renewed my hope, followed by the dream of 2004, and this prodigal son returned. Now I've seen three championships, when I once believed I would die without ever seeing one. Being a Sox fan ain't what it used to be, but I'm not complaining.

Welcome! I keep feeling flustered by all you older guys flying in this place. The last thing we need is for this place to get any older. If it weren't for me, the average age on this site would be 40-50.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    I've already posted on the BDC refugee thread, but I thought I'd let you know more about how I became a fan. Back in 1972, I was listening to a Red Sox Game with a transistor radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be trying to sleep. The Sox had a three game series with Detroit, and had a half game lead. In this game they had a chance to have a big inning, but Luis Aparicio slipped rounding third on a sure triple for Yaz. He tried to get back to third and Yaz saw him too late. Yaz tried to retreat to second and was tagged out. The Sox didn't score the rest of the game and lost. The Tigers won the next game to get a game and a half lead. Because this was a strike shortened season, the Sox played one less game than Detroit. So even though they won the final game, they finished a half game out. To come so close and not make it was agonizing. So of course, I was hooked.

And the agony became despair in 1986. From that year on I wandered through the desert, barely keeping tabs on the team that had hooked me by coming so tantalizingly close only to fail at every turn. But 2003 renewed my hope, followed by the dream of 2004, and this prodigal son returned. Now I've seen three championships, when I once believed I would die without ever seeing one. Being a Sox fan ain't what it used to be, but I'm not complaining.
    I remember that year very well. Yaz, uncharacteristically, did not hit his first home run until July 2nd I think. Also, Luis Tiant came out of the bullpen and back from the dead to become El Tiante as he rolled of an incredible string of CG shutouts. His ERA was 1.61 that season or somewhere around that. Also, that was Pudge Fisk's rookie year. It was a very exciting year that ended with a thud.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Welcome! I keep feeling flustered by all you older guys flying in this place. The last thing we need is for this place to get any older. If it weren't for me, the average age on this site would be 40-50.
    It is to your credit that us old guys converse with you. It means that you are a thinking young man with something interesting to say and who behaves in a mature manner. I am sure that you can find other internet places predominated with young jackasses, but I am guessing geezerland is more interesting.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

My family moved from Milwaukee to Maine in the fall of 1971. Shortly afterwards, the Brewers traded Tommy Harper to the Red Sox. Harper was my favorite player, so I switched to the Sox in 1972.

I remember that 1/2 game loss. That has to be the closest any team has ever come to winning a division (short of a playoff game, I guess).

Aparicio helped make me a lover of defense, especially at the SS position. Fisk, Reggie Smith, Tiant and Lee. Wow, those were the days.

I never thought I'd have to wait over 30 years to see a championship, but it was worth it.

Moonslav was the most knowledgeable poster on BDC for ten years and did tons of analysis and presented his opinions with patience, facts, and was a gentleman. He did all of this while cognizant that the BDC Red Sox Front Burner Forum was a fraternity of trolls, those who enabled the trolls, and those who came there only to be entertained instead of being loyal Red Sox fans. I sincerely hope that Moonslav will keep posting about the Red Sox in this new environment like he has done for ten years at BDC. He is indeed a true Red Sox fan who invests much time to his posts and is loyal and sincere.