Register now to remove this ad

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Yankees Season thread

A. His option isn't vesting
    B. We all know his contract was for 3 years, even though we'll be paying a DH catcher money for the final two
    C. Saying Sanchez will be a bust is rather stupid right now

Edit: just like we all know the sox weren't expecting 7 years of prime performance out of Price when they signed him

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    A. His option isn't vesting
    B. We all know his contract was for 3 years, even though we'll be paying a DH catcher money for the final two
    C. Saying Sanchez will be a bust is rather stupid right now

Edit: just like we all know the sox weren't expecting 7 years of prime performance out of Price when they signed him
    mathmlequation9051731862597044681.jpg
    other names i have posted under: none

No Yankee fan thought McCann's 5 yr deal would mean he'd be a dominant catcher in year 5. He will be 33 next yr. He'll be 34 in the final year of the contract. I think the predominant thought at the time was that he could switch to 1b for 2017 when Tex leaves via FA. Well, now with Bird entering the equation and Austin forcing himself onto the scene, 1b is a little bit murkier. He was a solid defensive catcher here. He provided 20HR pop and if not for Sanchez taking his job Aug 1, he'd have gotten to 20 already this yr. There are TONS of contracts I have an issue with. McCann's isn't one of them. He bought us time. We got McCann right after the Pineda deal. We suffered through a season with Stewart as our catcher. Our closest prospect was a kid in AA who seemed a bit immature. Could he have made the leap then, maybe? But would he be what he is now, no way. McCann allowed the Yankees to develop Sanchez. He was always a good blocker and thrower, but his calling of games and his pitch framing were terrible. With time and training, he is now really good at both and manages his pitchers well also. Plus, he matured with the bat as well. He is ready. He is now our starting catcher. And McCann's acquisition allowed this maturity to grow
    Hal sucks

he's not even a dominant catcher in year 3.
    i could argue he wasnt a dominant catcher in either of the first 2 years either.
    he's guaranteed $85MM from your organization and your ok with him being a placeholder. got it.
    typical yankees fan thought process....

For wasted money, nothing can top the Sox troika of Panda, Castillo and Craig. 200 million for absolute zero.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    No Yankee fan thought McCann's 5 yr deal would mean he'd be a dominant catcher in year 5. He will be 33 next yr. He'll be 34 in the final year of the contract. I think the predominant thought at the time was that he could switch to 1b for 2017 when Tex leaves via FA. Well, now with Bird entering the equation and Austin forcing himself onto the scene, 1b is a little bit murkier. He was a solid defensive catcher here. He provided 20HR pop and if not for Sanchez taking his job Aug 1, he'd have gotten to 20 already this yr. There are TONS of contracts I have an issue with. McCann's isn't one of them. He bought us time. We got McCann right after the Pineda deal. We suffered through a season with Stewart as our catcher. Our closest prospect was a kid in AA who seemed a bit immature. Could he have made the leap then, maybe? But would he be what he is now, no way. McCann allowed the Yankees to develop Sanchez. He was always a good blocker and thrower, but his calling of games and his pitch framing were terrible. With time and training, he is now really good at both and manages his pitchers well also. Plus, he matured with the bat as well. He is ready. He is now our starting catcher. And McCann's acquisition allowed this maturity to grow
    The Yankees would have been better off re-signing Martin. If I recall correctly, they were unwilling to pay him the going rate, yet they turn around the following year and give a monster contract to McCann.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    For wasted money, nothing can top the Sox troika of Panda, Castillo and Craig. 200 million for absolute zero.
    ??? Stay with the theme here, Bell.

i dont see any sox fans saying those are good contracts.

McCann's contract is half-bad, which puts it in the same category as a lot of free agent contracts.

McCann's contract is half-bad, which puts it in the same category as a lot of free agent contracts.
    so you think he was worth $17MM per year for the first 2.5 years of the contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    so you think he was worth $17MM per year for the first 2.5 years of the contract?
    FanGraphs does. 17 mill doesn't go that far anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    ??? Stay with the theme here, Bell.
    Oooooooooooooooo.

Women can be vicious.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I'm still wondering what ever happened to Cervelli and Montero.

They were both going to be the next Johnny Bench.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Cervelli has been really good in Pittsburgh and got a big contract from them. Montero ate himself out of the position and could only hit in AAA

Fangraphs has his value at $49 mil as a Yankee. Almost exactly what he's earned. Mic drop