Register now to remove this ad

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Prospect Mega Thread

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    i wonder what the orgs goals are for Guerra? I'm not sure he can do a lot more than what he has done at the level he is currently at.
    True - although I think in Guerra and Devers cases (and Moncada's too) that being teenagers there is no real rush to promote. Although you'd expect all three to be in Salem soon enough and possibly pushing for Portland. I also imagine there are some off field goals, in terms of maturity and whatnot which impact things too.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    True - although I think in Guerra and Devers cases (and Moncada's too) that being teenagers there is no real rush to promote. Although you'd expect all three to be in Salem soon enough and possibly pushing for Portland. I also imagine there are some off field goals, in terms of maturity and whatnot which impact things too.

I agree. It's good to be cautious for sure. On occasion though, I do think that they wait a little too long. I also see Hernandez playing some second base now in Pawtucket. I still think that the Ramirez-Sandoval-Ortiz issue has to be settled before they can truly move forward.

Deity
    Read a glowing report of Moncada possibly moving up. He is starting to hit (.287) but 18 errors at second base in 59 games has to be a concern. Want the best for the kid but you can't sugar coat that stat. It is what it is.

Read a glowing report of Moncada possibly moving up. He is starting to hit (.287) but 18 errors at second base in 59 games has to be a concern. Want the best for the kid but you can't sugar coat that stat. It is what it is.
    Thats a lot of errors. His stolen base numbers are impressive (27 in 59 games) and so are his doubles (14). Hopefully his fielding can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
    Thats a lot of errors. His stolen base numbers are impressive (27 in 59 games) and so are his doubles (14). Hopefully his fielding can improve.
    In Jeters first minor league season, he made an incredible number of errors 30, 40 or something like that.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

In Jeters first minor league season, he made an incredible number of errors 30, 40 or something like that.
    Wow. Was it that many? I knew he struggled, but not that badly. Thats good for Moncada though. He's not going to be playing second base here anyways if pedey stays. His only real options would be to play third base or the outfield when he mostl likely comes up in 2017.

Moncada has been elite offensively in the 36 games since the single- a all star game. .348 average, 5 hrs, .988 ops, 12 doubles, and a whopping 27 stolen bases. At least he is making some good progress.

Legend
    Depends on what they were. Errors by themselves don't say a lot about fielding.

Deity
    Don't agree - they don't tell the whole story obviously but that many at second base over that many games is reason to suspect that improvement in some area is needed.

Legend
    Don't agree - they don't tell the whole story obviously but that many at second base over that many games is reason to suspect that improvement in some area is needed.
    It does mean some improvement is required, but if he is generating many more chances for errors by getting to balls, that is a good thing. Or at least something which large error totals can hide.

It does mean some improvement is required, but if he is generating many more chances for errors by getting to balls, that is a good thing. Or at least something which large error totals can hide.
    It may indicate that he has good range, but the number of errors shows a clear need to improve.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    sk - you know that you can spin that one anyway you want to. If he was that much quicker than other second basemen at getting to those balls then their official scorer would suck too I think. I want him to succeed for sure but this franchise is starting to actually become known for moving players from position to position while just assuming that they will be able to field them all if they can field one. But also understand that I still think that wins and losses by starting pitchers is a solid stat to use as well as earned runs allowed as well as RBI's. i am also willing to go on record as saying that bringing Hanley Ramirez to Boston was a much greater risk than bringing Sandoval on board. See what you are dealing with here? I also believe that the people who studied the statistics and suggested that certain moves be made are as responsible as the current coaches for this franchise's failings. That small space between the ears of the players brought in was not studied adequately. Everyone shares the blame. No one gets a free pass. Looking good and actually being good are often two very separate things.

Deity
    sk - you know that you can spin that one anyway you want to. If he was that much quicker than other second basemen at getting to those balls then their official scorer would suck too I think. I want him to succeed for sure but this franchise is starting to actually become known for moving players from position to position while just assuming that they will be able to field them all if they can field one. But also understand that I still think that wins and losses by starting pitchers is a solid stat to use as well as earned runs allowed as well as RBI's. i am also willing to go on record as saying that bringing Hanley Ramirez to Boston was a much greater risk than bringing Sandoval on board. See what you are dealing with here? I also believe that the people who studied the statistics and suggested that certain moves be made are as responsible as the current coaches for this franchise's failings. That small space between the ears of the players brought in was not studied adequately. Everyone shares the blame. No one gets a free pass. Looking good and actually being good are often two very separate things.

Oh - while I am on a little rant here - I think that your best hitter hits third. And that your run producers should still be in the 3-4-5 slots.

Legend
    I will refrain from the threadjacking bait on the second half.

The other stuff - he obviously needs to field balls he can get to. But there is indicators he is getting to a lot of balls. I don't think the team is making a fetish out of moving players - because it's not that simple. I think it is more that (and this was at least true in my high school and college teams) your best athletes pitch, your best athletes play shortstop and your best athletes play centerfield, and acquiring premium athletes is a good thing. Also in a lot of cases, their first good exposure to defensive instruction does not really start until you get to pro ball.

Deity
    I will refrain from the threadjacking bait on the second half.

The other stuff - he obviously needs to field balls he can get to. But there is indicators he is getting to a lot of balls. I don't think the team is making a fetish out of moving players - because it's not that simple. I think it is more that (and this was at least true in my high school and college teams) your best athletes pitch, your best athletes play shortstop and your best athletes play centerfield, and acquiring premium athletes is a good thing. Also in a lot of cases, their first good exposure to defensive instruction does not really start until you get to pro ball.
    it's all good - you can hit me with the thread jacking stuff if you like. I just couldn't help it. I agree with you on much of this. I would say that in some cases a player's first exposure to the teaching of good defensive technique may be at the professional level. Some not a lot. Pretty sad! Not the way it is where I come from. On my high school and college teams, the instruction was quite good. I have always been a believer in drafting your best athletes. Normally it is foolish not to. I think implying that I called the Red Sox overuse of repositioning players a fetish is a little harsh though.