Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I wonder when he will get promoted to the next level?
    Would that be Lowell?

I see no reason to rush him. Let him learn the game and become acclimated.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Would that be Lowell?

I see no reason to rush him. Let him learn the game and become acclimated.
    Salem. They rushed him past Lowell already. I'd say there is no need to hustle him. At the same time, there might be a push to get him to play 3B more, and if that is the case, he's fighting Devers and Chavis for PT in Greenville and moving somebody to Salem would alleviate some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Salem. They rushed him past Lowell already. I'd say there is no need to hustle him. At the same time, there might be a push to get him to play 3B more, and if that is the case, he's fighting Devers and Chavis for PT in Greenville and moving somebody to Salem would alleviate some of that.
    Is that where you think he will end his season?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Is that where you think he will end his season?
    I don't know. Currently he is being raised as a 2B, so he is getting lots of PT. That is thing with promotions - if you look at Margot's promotion to AA. He did not crush Salem. But teams have their own internal checklists - what is the kid working on, is he fixing whatever. Let's put it this way - nobody is having egg on their face if the kid is not in Portland yet.

Deity
    I thought that the people that criticize us old folk are all about stats, because they don't think we can understand the numbers? The numbers are favoring this kid enough for him to get selected to the All zstar game where he won the MVP, but people are pooh poohing him because of his draft position and some scouting evaluations. Am I getting this right? He wouldn't be the first late round draft choice to defy the odds.

You are right. It is easy to be blinded by the opinions of all of the analysists.

Deity
    Sam Travis -not what you would call eye candy for prospect watchers. Everything points to him just being one step above ordinary. To me that means he has a real chance to develop. Hard worker! He has been putting up some pretty good numbers. A potential first baseman.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Sam Travis -not what you would call eye candy for prospect watchers. Everything points to him just being one step above ordinary. To me that means he has a real chance to develop. Hard worker! He has been putting up some pretty good numbers. A potential first baseman.
    Polished college bat. Might not have ideal power for 1B, but the approach and contact from what I have read is legit

Just about everyone at that level is a gamble.

Reading what others have read and written about is useless for the most part. Progression and success at several levels is a better way of guessing that a young player will translate to success in MLB.

This kid is no different. Either he makes it or he does not.

Deity

Reading what others have read and written about is useless for the most part. Progression and success at several levels is a better way of guessing that a young player will translate to success in MLB.

No doubt about that. The only but would be that things would look one helluva lot more depressing than they do right now if people's expectations for these kids wasn't what it was. If you look how they are currently performing and have performed this year, JBJ should be called up right now and based on overall performance this year, Hernandez would be getting a look as well. Margot is showing some good signs of life at Portland but other than those 3 guys (travis would be 4) there isn't a whole bunch happening to make me very excited.

Legend

Indeed - although I will add a couple things.

1. You get to Portland, you are on the radar for the bigs. So that he is there and has not looked overmatched is good.
    2. College bat helps make me optimistic on his big league likelihood, but limits excitement about big league potential.

BTW: off topic, Moncada seems to be coming around

Deity
    Sk - We are a long ways away. Is there a bright side to this?

Deity
    Hernandez and Travis continue to hit - who are these guys right? Not Margot,Devers,Guerra?

Hernandez and Travis continue to hit - who are these guys right? Not Margot,Devers,Guerra?
    They are players. Organizations that are only concerned with the development of their top prospects are not doing the best by their organizations. Players mature and develop at different rates. Guys who were not blue chippers at the beginning can overtake the blue chippers. Good scouts can spot the kids with that potential, but the organization needs to develop them.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 08-02-2015 at 09:02 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Interesting guys. Orgs have goals the guys need to achieve to move up - some of it shows up in the box score, other stuff doesn't necessarily.

Deity
    i wonder what the orgs goals are for Guerra? I'm not sure he can do a lot more than what he has done at the level he is currently at.