Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanaka is a Yankee!

Me too. I think it is smart to have a plan B. Just incase JBJ doesn't work.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

I'm more than ready for JBJ to be the everyday CF, because that would mean he's tearing it up. I think y'all mean you're not ready to hand him the keys without a backup plan, which sounds a lot more reasonable.
    We miss you Mike.

Jim Bowden threw out Dan Haren as the best comp for Tanaka, which seems reasonable (although I acknowledge that he has question marks). If that's what Tanaka turns out to be, then he'll definitely be the top pitcher on the staff next year. Certainly not the number four.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    I'm more than ready for JBJ to be the everyday CF, because that would mean he's tearing it up. I think y'all mean you're not ready to hand him the keys without a backup plan, which sounds a lot more reasonable.
    That's what I was thinking. I just don't like handing the keys to center-field without a backup. Last year, makes me nervous. He started out very strong. But, he kinda faded after a while. I do like his potential though.
    "It happens to everybody, man. He's had 60 at-bats. A couple of years ago, I had 60 at-bats, and I was hitting .170, and everyone was ready to kill me, too. And what happened? Laser show. So, relax."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    Me too. I think it is smart to have a plan B. Just incase JBJ doesn't work.
    I have some mixed feelings about this signing. It tells me that no matter what the Red Sox brass has said they are not quite sure if Jackie Bradley will fill the bill offensively in center field for us and they are hedging their bets by signing Grady Sizemore. It could be just that or it could be that for all the talk about their prospects they still get cold feet when facing reality on this score. I think the stuff over Stephen Drew and the fear that Will Middlebrooks will crater is another example of this. OTOH, while Sizemore has been a MASH unit the past two seasons he was one of the best outfielders in the American League for a number of years and is still only 31 and could be a big help to us if he can still play well. I want to look at it as a win-win but since I am dead set against resigning Drew for that same reason I am a little suspicious about the plans the Red Sox have for JBjr.

I am flabbergasted at the logical leaps of faith inherent to fred's thought process.
    We miss you Mike.

It's probably worth pointing out that since Tanaka is the guy that puts the Yankees over the tax threshold, and their tax rate is 50%, he is effectively going to cost them about 33 million this year, and that doesn't factor in the revenue-sharing-disqualification thingamajig. Here is a link to their payroll figures, which don't include about 11 million in player benefits that also counts toward tax.

http://mlbreports.com/2014/01/22/tanaka-pay/
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

But remember, per SoxSport, they are making unlimited money off of YES network!
    We miss you Mike.

Unlimited? no, but plenty of it to keep spending.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeBostonian View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I just don't like handing the keys to center-field without a backup. Last year, makes me nervous. He started out very strong. But, he kinda faded after a while. I do like his potential though.
    I would even consider trading him in July in exchange for a player at a spot that we really need. Curious to see how he will develop over the course of the season. Worst case scenario is having Victorino in CF, Nava in RF, and Gomes in LF, with Sizemore off the bench. I would take that anyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Well, in a way it's reassuring that the Yankees are back to their old 200 million+ payroll selves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Well, in a way it's reassuring that the Yankees are back to their old 200 million+ payroll selves.
    Err, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I would even consider trading him in July in exchange for a player at a spot that we really need. Curious to see how he will develop over the course of the season. Worst case scenario is having Victorino in CF, Nava in RF, and Gomes in LF, with Sizemore off the bench. I would take that anyday.
    Are you talking about trading JBJ?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Err, what?
    Half-joking, but they just wouldn't be the same Yankees if they were serious about this 'under the tax threshold' nonsense.

And next year they'll have that little A-Rod expenditure back on the books.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinity View Post
    Pretty sure he'll be our #2, or #3 behind Kuroda, scouts have said he may have the best splitter in baseball.
    Scouts also raved about Dice-K having some magical pitch that could both strike out batters and cure cancer. All of the hype surrounding his coming to Boston was like the second coming of Jesus Christ. We all know how that turned out. I've seen this story before, and it ends with a minor league deal in Cleveland. How's Hideki Irabu doing? Or Hideo Nomo? Or Dice-K? Or Kaz Matsui? Kurt Suzuki? Akinori Iwamura? It's possible that Tanaka will end up being as great as everyone seems to think he will, but the weight of Japanese star's history is stacked against him. I'm not guaranteeing that he will tank, but temper your hilarious expectations of glory with reason. The Yankees are tossing one of the most inept defensive lineups I've ever seen out on the field in 2014, backing up a pitching staff full of guys who have either A: Never pitched a season in the major leagues, B: Faded quickly down the stretch last season, or C: Gained enough weight to qualify for their own seat on the United Nations council.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.