Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoring Up the Rotation

Shoring Up the Rotation

I don't think any Sox fan will deny that the 2013 Red Sox have been a pleasant surprise through the first seven games of the season.

Where do you see the Red Sox going to beef up the rotation? Lester and Buchholz have been absolutely fantastic to start the season and are really looking like the 1-2 combo we have have been waiting for them to be.

But beyond Lester & Buchholz the rotation is bad, really bad.

Will the Sox look to make improvements internally (Allen Webster and/or Rubby de la Rosa)?

Or will they look to trade for a quality arm?

John Lackey is a bust not one start into 2013, but this was expected. As is typical of guys his age coming off major surgery, he will bounce back and forth from the DL all season, persistently leave games due to injury (like his first start).

Dempster looked to be every bit the NL pitcher we were all told that he was.

And Felix Doubront is, well, Felix Doubront.

I support a May or June promotion for Allen Webster and give him a trial run in the big league rotation.

I can't believe I'm saying this but the Sox look so sharp I think they could be one or two sturdy middle-of-the-rotation options away from being a playoff contender, especially with the Yankees' starting lineup on the DL and a diminished Rays team.
    the new black

Re: Shoring up the Rotation

First off.

Dempster wasn't that bad vs the Yankees. I think your jumping the gun to suggest he's gonna pitch to a 5.40 ERA all year. I doubt we'll see him in the 3's but a low 4 is both possible and passable in my opinion.

Doubront is a young hard throwing lefty who struck out more than a guy per inning last year. He only lasted 5 in his first start but he didn't walk a batter which is a solid sign considering that that was his big issue last year.

Lackey had an arm strain and tests show no structural damage to his arm, to say he will be shuttling in between the mound and DL all season is just unjustified pessimism. He had a scare but we later found out that he's fine. He very well may have injury problems this year but so might the rest of the rotation. Not to mention that he's in the best shape he's ever been in with the Red Sox and looked the best he ever has with us on Saturday before leaving with his injury, getting good velocity on his pitches and striking out 8 over 4 1/3.

Lester and Buch have indeed been awesome to start the year, that much I agree with, but saying that the back half of our rotation is "bad, really bad" is unbased hyperbole on your part.
    BornToRun and Taylor Swift For King & Queen of Talksox!

Now please go ahead and introduce yourself to Taylor. We're going to get married, have 10 kids, and teach them how to dream.

Now I don't want to see Aceves start. With the off day, they should go with a 4 man rotation this time around. Why? So I can see Buch when I go on Sunday. When his turn comes around again, he is a good option to replace Lackey.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Snow View Post
    But beyond Lester & Buchholz the rotation is bad, really bad.
    Dempster, Lackey and Doubront have given up an average of 2.66 runs per start between them. Boohoo.

Lord Snow IS unjustified pessimism. He's also not very smart, because his negativity-filled arguments make no sense.

That being said, the Sox do need to shore up their SP depth.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    Dempster, Lackey and Doubront have given up an average of 2.66 runs per start between them. Boohoo.
    Agreed. If they continue to pitch like that there shouldn't be a big problem. Would love to see some more innings out of Doubront really, and I'm certainly hoping that that is something that begins to happen this year. Other than that and the uncertainty of Lackey at the moment (though that seems to be looking positive) not a whole lot to talk about rotation wise at the moment personally.

Wish we had more young depth to be talking about, or more depth in general for the Lackey situation. Guess at the moment we just have to hope that pans out well.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    The Red Sox do need to add another back end starter, absolutely. That being said, do we really need a pessimist ranting about how bad the back of the rotation hasn't been?

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    The Red Sox do need to add another back end starter, absolutely. That being said, do we really need a pessimist ranting about how bad the back of the rotation hasn't been?
    No, we really don't.
    We miss you Mike.

All-Star

Lord Snow IS unjustified pessimism. He's also not very smart, because his negativity-filled arguments make no sense.

You're not very smart because I said so.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxbeatz View Post
    You're not very smart because I said so.
    You're the expert. Where's my "dunce" hat?
    We miss you Mike.

All-Star

You don't get to use quotations around that word. You're just a regular dunce.
    \

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxbeatz View Post
    You don't get to use quotations around that word. You're just a regular dunce.
    But, but, but i thought i was special
    We miss you Mike.

What's going on? U.N. has no problems with posters other than SBF... right?:lol:
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Dear Lord in heaven you're an idiot.
    We miss you Mike.

... a little bit. We don't need to acquire a Name, just a guy who can do what we had guys like Aaron Cook and Paul Byrd do in recent years. Come in and be a warm body if absolutely nessary and sit in the minors in the meantime.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.