Register now to remove this ad

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Rotation

Re: Rotation

If anyone pays attention to the cost of a #1 starter in FA, Grienke, CC, Felix contract ranges $150-175M. I expect David Price to get around that. Kershaw may push $200M if he hits the market.

I'm not sure if I want them to throw that much at 1 player.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    At the end of the day, the problem with the rotation is its lack of a #1. At best, Lester is a 2 and Buchholz will never be more than a 3 due to his durability issues. Adding a #4 in Dempster was meaningless.

All last year, we heard that Lester would get better because of his FIP. He was "unlucky" even though teams were teeing off on him. Well, maybe he's not much better than a 15 W 3.8 - 4.2 ERA guy. He's a fine pitcher, but not a leader and not a #1.

Until the Sox improve the front of their rotation, they won't be a playoff team.
    Look at the discussion in the Predictions thread. From 2008-2011, Lester pitched just as well as Verlander/ Weaver/ Greinke/ Shields/ Price. Its one thing to say Lester won't be a #1, but at best he certainly can be.

His K/9 has gone down steadily since 09. If you aren't concerned about that, I don't know what to tell you.

Shields isn't a #1. Price's first full year wasn't until 09 ( and he's outperformed Lester the past 3 years). Greinke has been wildly inconsistent.

Lester has NEVER pitched as well as Verlander has the past 2 years.

Weaver's past 3 years are better than any year Lester has had.

His K/9 has gone down steadily since 09. If you aren't concerned about that, I don't know what to tell you.
    I'm not saying that Lester will be an ace, but if you can't see that "at his best" he can be, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I'm not saying that Lester will be an ace, but if you can't see that "at his best" he can be, I don't know what to tell you.
    He can't and you haven't come close to proving otherwise.

Sure he has. The fact that you tried to move the goalpost like a champion doesn't mean he missed his field goal.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Sure he has. The fact that you tried to move the goalpost like a champion doesn't mean he missed his field goal.
    By excluding 2012, Pal rigged the results by moving the goalposts in for Lester and out for the other pitchers.

He excluded Lester's bad year. He excluded the other guys' good years. It's a poor argument.

Deity

Was watching the Comcast Spring Training show tonight. I guess Felix is the one guy that Merloni REALLY did not like. According to Lou, Felix has clearly gained a few pounds, was borderline not in shape and the Sox were kinda' babying him a bit at this point. worried about inducing an injury. Lou pointed out that Felix has exhibited this behavior before in his short career.

As recall, the last time this happened with Felix, experts were even questioning his commitment to the game. I would have thought Felix would have done almost anything to avoid this sort of perception.

Some have offered that the upper reaches of his potential are pretty high. I have not been as impressed nor as hopeful. However I did not expect this especially thinking Felix must know this would cause some concern. I for one am not all that thrilled about the idea of just plugging Frankie in either.

This ST has surely started oddly. Guys down there early...good sign. Some saying the wrong things..not so good sign. Felix is one of the guys that showed early I think....good sign. However they are I guess not allowing him to work at this point....not so good sign.

Lou was hinting around that maybe zebra's really don't change their stripes pointing at Felix in this case. Definitely not so good sign.

If Doubs isn't ready, Morales can have his spot.

Major Leaguer

If Doubs isn't ready, Morales can have his spot.
    Yes stretch Frankie out as a starter. Which i think they were going to anyway. I havent seen anything such as videos or pictures of any of the guys at ST other than Lackey, but if Felix is that far out of shape and didnt show commitment during the offseason i hope one of the young prospects comes up and blows everyone away and takes a rotation spot.

Im tired of hearing that these pitching prospects needs more seasoning in the minors. Oakland brings the boys up and throws um in the water, hell its stink or swim, if this is truely a bridge year why not let them be seasoned by pitching to major league hitter not AAA or lower caliber players.
    Beer. Now there's a temporary solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dupree View Post
    Im tired of hearing that these pitching prospects needs more seasoning in the minors. Oakland brings the boys up and throws um in the water, hell its stink or swim, if this is truely a bridge year why not let them be seasoned by pitching to major league hitter not AAA or lower caliber players.
    I remember when Pedro was in the booth with Don and Jerry last year. He thought the biggest problem with MLB pitching was an epidemic of overuse of the cutter (not specifying Lester or Mo) because of lack of seasoning due to guys being brought up too soon.
    I don't know a lot about it, but I ain't gonna disagree with Pedro. And it's something to consider now that he's officially in the ear of the Red Sox.

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by NYlove4BoSox View Post
    I remember when Pedro was in the booth with Don and Jerry last year. He thought the biggest problem with MLB pitching was an epidemic of overuse of the cutter (not specifying Lester or Mo) because of lack of seasoning due to guys being brought up too soon.
    I don't know a lot about it, but I ain't gonna disagree with Pedro. And it's something to consider now that he's officially in the ear of the Red Sox.
    Im gonna disagree with Pedro either, i think behind bringing John Farrell in as manager the addition of Pedro was the 2ndbest best move of this offseason.

I guess where its ST and all the teams are tied for 1st im just in the mindset of hoping one of the young guys shows something and that just blows everyone away and comes outta nowhere to pitch for us this year.
    Beer. Now there's a temporary solution.