Register now to remove this ad

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotation

Re: Rotation

Your recollection was not wrong. His ERA at Fenway was in the high 4's low 5's when he signed on in Boston.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Your recollection was not wrong. His ERA at Fenway was in the high 4's low 5's when he signed on in Boston.
    I literally looked at his stats two seconds ago. After all these years, do I really have to waste my time proving you wrong, or can you take my word for it one fricken time?

2011 -- Fenway -- 6.65
    2011 -- Total -- 6.41

2010 -- Fenway 4.34
    2010-- Total 4.40
    2009 -- Fenway -- 2.35
    2009 -- Total -- 3.83

2008 -- Fenway 2.00
    2008 -- Total 3.75.
    2007 -- Fenway 8.38
    2007 -- Total 3.01

2006 -- Fenway 4.50
    2006-- Total 3.50
    2005-- Fenway 3.00
    2005 -- Total 3.40

Lackey had a rough year in 2007, but besides that he's been pretty much around career averages. Considering how explosive the Red Sox offense was from 2005-2008, hard to blame him for a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    I literally looked at his stats two seconds ago. After all these years, do I really have to waste my time proving you wrong, or can you take my word for it one fricken time?

2011 -- Fenway -- 6.65
    2011 -- Total -- 6.41

2010 -- Fenway 4.34
    2010-- Total 4.40
    2009 -- Fenway -- 2.35
    2009 -- Total -- 3.83

2008 -- Fenway 2.00
    2008 -- Total 3.75.
    2007 -- Fenway 8.38
    2007 -- Total 3.01

2006 -- Fenway 4.50
    2006-- Total 3.50
    2005-- Fenway 3.00
    2005 -- Total 3.40

Lackey had a rough year in 2007, but besides that he's been pretty much around career averages. Considering how explosive the Red Sox offense was from 2005-2008, hard to blame him for a bad game.
    He got hammered at Fenway in 2004 (10.80 ERA) and 2003 (9.90 ERA - 2 starts) too.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

It looks like overall he was not good at Fenway during his Angel years.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Lackey's final 3 outings at Fenway as an Angel, including 1 postseason, were all very good. I'm sure that entered into the assessment of him.

July 29/08 9.0 IP 2 ER
    Oct 1/08 (ALDS) 7.0 IP 2 ER
    Sept 15/09 7.2 IP 2 ER

He got hammered at Fenway in 2004 (10.80 ERA) and 2003 (9.90 ERA - 2 starts) too.
    I added additional years to prove a point. Looking at statistics from ten years ago is really not that relevant.

I added additional years to prove a point. Looking at statistics from ten years ago is really not that relevant.
    The whole discussion isn't relevant as we have been debating a throw away line in a post where I said:

Also, I am amazed at the public relations campaign by the Sox to have us pin our 2013 hopes on Lackey. Seriously, they have nothing going for them if they are making John Lackey the poster boy for our 2013 hopes and dreams. The guy has always sucked at Fenway, even in his Angel years.
    The point that I was making is that it is pretty desperate that our fortunes are tied to Lackey in 2013. His record at Fenway is not that relevant. You said that my statement that he sucked at Fenway was not true. Doji disagreed, and we digressed. Overall, his Fenway record with the Angels has been spotty at best, and there were periods where we downright hammered him, but as I said, his Fenway record as an Angel is not really relevant.

It's relevant to the extent that this is what he did when he was healthy, now that health is subject to reasonable question.

I count on nothing from John Lackey.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

I can't seem to find anything on my phone, but does anyone know the success rate for pitchers after TJS?

Edit: When I mean success, I mean played better then they did before the surgery.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    It's relevant to the extent that this is what he did when he was healthy, now that health is subject to reasonable question.

I count on nothing from John Lackey.
    He was never a great pitcher and we have seen the worst of him. He's 34 and and post-op. He has been the poster boy for bad FA contracts for pitchers, and now, the Sox are trying to sell us on him as reason to be optimistic. Are they freakin kidding?

The whole discussion isn't relevant as we have been debating a throw away line
    Generally in my arguments here, I always like to make sure that if players on this team are disliked, they are actually disliked for the correct reason. :lol: There are plenty of reasons to dislike Lackey, but saying he's been historically worse at Fenway than anywhere else is not one of them.

Deity

Well you could look at the FO PR job on Lackey as further evidence that they are not bringing anybody else in. What we got is what we got I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Well you could look at the FO PR job on Lackey as further evidence that they are not bringing anybody else in. What we got is what we got I think.
    I believe you are correct. Here is to holding our breath and seeing if what we got can turn it around.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxfanforlife305 View Post
    I can't seem to find anything on my phone, but does anyone know the success rate for pitchers after TJS?

Edit: When I mean success, I mean played better then they did before the surgery.
    I believe Chris Carpenter came back better after his first TJ surgery. There have been some who have returned at about the same level like Tim Hudson, John Smoltz, and Stephen Straberg. There are some who are still trying to find their way back like Adam Wainright, Francisco Liriano, and Edinson Volquez.

I am skeptical of the belief that pitchers return from TJ surgery throwing harder than before.
    "As long as the general population is passive, apathetic, diverted to consumerism or hatred of the vulnerable, then the powerful can do as they please, and those who survive will be left to contemplate the outcome." - Noam Chomsky

Generally in my arguments here, I always like to make sure that if players on this team are disliked, they are actually disliked for the correct reason. :lol: There are plenty of reasons to dislike Lackey, but saying he's been historically worse at Fenway than anywhere else is not one of them.
    You are right about that. Since we have had him, he has stunk everywhere.