Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotation

Re: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I am so glad that the Red Sox didn't sacrifice any of their elite pitching prospects. You don't want to sacrifice the future. LOL!
    :lol:
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Marlins didn't want any of the MiLB pitchers. If that was a point of contention, you'd be right. It wasn't, so you're not.
    Are you arguing with yourself again?:lol:
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I am so glad that the Red Sox didn't sacrifice any of their elite pitching prospects. You don't want to sacrifice the future. LOL!
    Come on now a700.

Just because the Sox have had a bit of a draught doesn't mean it's not the best course of action to develop players internally and retain a core at least until FA.

Where would the Sox be without Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youk, Pap, Lester, Trot, etc?

Certainly wouldn't have had the 2007 championship.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

And now, more than ever, when the cost of even a #3 pitcher like Garza or Sanchez is reaching $90-100mm, it's even more imperative that you retain the guys who have the high ceilings like De La Rosa, Barnes, Webster, Owens, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Come on now a700.

Just because the Sox have had a bit of a draught doesn't mean it's not the best course of action to develop players internally and retain a core at least until FA.

Where would the Sox be without Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youk, Pap, Lester, Trot, etc?

Certainly wouldn't have had the 2007 championship.
    The track record producing good starting pitching has been thin.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity

A700, how would you feel if the Sox went all out for Grienke right now? Positive? Negative?

Quote Originally Posted by example1 View Post
    A700, how would you feel if the Sox went all out for Grienke right now? Positive? Negative?
    What is "all out"? Years? $?

Deity

I guess to reframe it, if someone else pays the FA cost for Greinke, will you be lamenting his loss or will you be okay with it? I don't know where you stand on the "anxiety" issues, let alone his significant cost as a FA.

I just think he's an interesting option. 3.42 ERA over his last 1157 IP. He's definitely a front-line starter and at 28 he's about as young a FA starting pitcher as we will see for awhile. I have concerns about him, but the Sox are desperately in need of some rotation help and he's undoubtedly got the best track record of anyone available.

Let's say, slightly less than CC Sabathia's first contract with the Yankees as a comp (7/161 with an opt-out clause).

Quote Originally Posted by example1 View Post
    I guess to reframe it, if someone else pays the FA cost for Greinke, will you be lamenting his loss or will you be okay with it? I don't know where you stand on the "anxiety" issues, let alone his significant cost as a FA.

I just think he's an interesting option. 3.42 ERA over his last 1157 IP. He's definitely a front-line starter and at 28 he's about as young a FA starting pitcher as we will see for awhile. I have concerns about him, but the Sox are desperately in need of some rotation help and he's undoubtedly got the best track record of anyone available.

Let's say, slightly less than CC Sabathia's first contract with the Yankees as a comp (7/161 with an opt-out clause).
    I think the anxiety issue is overblown, and I have said that numerous times. It seems to be an issue that has been under control for several years. He continues to thrive after a couple of trades, pennant races, and he has played in a big market. Is he a special horse like CC? I don't think so, but he is a very nice arm. I'd love to get him for a contract like Gio Gonzalez got from the Nats. I would do that in a heart beat. I would not want Greinke if he is so cost prohibitive that we can't add a second pitcher, because the Sox need two pitchers, not one. I feel most strongly that two solid guys are needed.

Will I be pissed when he signs elsewhere? Definitely, if he signs in the AL East.

I think the anxiety issue is overblown, and I have said that numerous times. It seems to be an issue that has been under control for several years. He continues to thrive after a couple of trades, pennant races, and he has played in a big market. Is he a special horse like CC? I don't think so, but he is a very nice arm. I'd love to get him for a contract like Gio Gonzalez got from the Nats. I would do that in a heart beat. I would not want Greinke if he is so cost prohibitive that we can't add a second pitcher, because the Sox need two pitchers, not one. I feel most strongly that two solid guys are needed.

Will I be pissed when he signs elsewhere? Definitely, if he signs in the AL East.
    Will you be pissed if he signs a 6 year, $150 million contract with someone else? If the Sox offered 5/$110 and someone else just went bonkers and blew that away, would you still be mad at Cherington?

I ask this because while I agree with you on the Toronto thing (wish the Sox could/would have swung that deal, though it sounds like what they were asking for from Boston was crazy much), I think we both agree that there is a line you draw and that it's possible for the Sox to be very much involved in these things but not be able to finish the deal b/c someone else comes in and just overwhelms the process. And in such a situation it's hard to blame the Sox.

Banned

No one will offer Grienke $25 million annually. I think the point of contention is that some people don't even want to offer him a contract, because of his anxiety disorder. He's proven to be a good reliable front of the rotation starter, something this team badly needs. If they have to pay the premium, because they didn't develop any starters on their own, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Juiced View Post
    Will you be pissed if he signs a 6 year, $150 million contract with someone else? If the Sox offered 5/$110 and someone else just went bonkers and blew that away, would you still be mad at Cherington?

I ask this because while I agree with you on the Toronto thing (wish the Sox could/would have swung that deal, though it sounds like what they were asking for from Boston was crazy much), I think we both agree that there is a line you draw and that it's possible for the Sox to be very much involved in these things but not be able to finish the deal b/c someone else comes in and just overwhelms the process. And in such a situation it's hard to blame the Sox.
    I'll be pissed if he signs with an the AL East team.

Deity

Well unless I missed something, it did not look like the Jays overwhelmed the process. I do wonder if the reports about WMB and one of the B's are accurate and the Sox never counter-offered. Hard to tell at this point.

Maybe what happened is that the Sox rejected Reyes out of hand and the Jays didn't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Well unless I missed something, it did not look like the Jays overwhelmed the process. I do wonder if the reports about WMB and one of the B's are accurate and the Sox never counter-offered. Hard to tell at this point.

Maybe what happened is that the Sox rejected Reyes out of hand and the Jays didn't.
    Sounds like bullshit. Apparently, every time another team makes a move, we hear one of these reports that they asked for our best three prospects, but settle for crap from the other team.

Deity

If anything it almost looks like the Sox really overstepped the BS this time as I am having such a hard time believing that the Marlins asked for WMB and a B from the Sox and then took what they took from the Jays.

I would more believe that the Sox balked at Reyes.