Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotation

Re: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by wyo-sox View Post
    Well there is a chance, but it does not seem decent. His era has increased for 5 years in a row, that is not falling off a cliff- that is steadily going down hill. Surgery sure did not help Dice K. Hope I am wrong but I would bet he sucks next season.
    Nobody is expecting him to be a 3.3 era guy. But turning back to 2010 Lackey is hardly a stretch.

Especially with a manager who was there in 2010 as his pitching coach.

Gammons was saying his elbow was so messed up that his pitches, specifically his fastball, had zero movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Let's get Edwin Jackson instead. He's an undervalued inning eater guy.

Depends on what Jackson wants. I've already said that I'm ok with Sanchez at 4/60M. I probably can't argue against Jackson at the same kind of deal. But for some reason it just fees like a worse idea hahaha

There's no way Sanchez goes that low. He's better than Lackey and Burnett, who got 5/85M, he's pushing 5-6 for 90M+.

I would not want a pitcher approaching 30 on a 5-6 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    There's no way Sanchez goes that low. He's better than Lackey and Burnett, who got 5/85M, he's pushing 5-6 for 90M+.

Nor would I. That's crazy money for a good, but not great, pitcher. I mean, I'd like to have him, and I think he would be very helpful, but I'd rather go short years and more AAV than a longer contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post

Sanchez's numbers are not as good as Lackey's were at the time we signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Sanchez's numbers are not as good as Lackey's were at the time we signed him.
    Lackey 2 season prior to joining the Sox:

163IP 3.75
    176IP 3.83

Plus Lackey was 31 in his first season in Boston.

Deity

There is going to be such a rejection of long term deals in the MLB this year that it might even get to the point where the Players Association feels justified in a collusion suit against the leagues teams. But in this case, I don't think they will have a leg to stand on if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Nobody is expecting him to be a 3.3 era guy. But turning back to 2010 Lackey is hardly a stretch.

Especially with a manager who was there in 2010 as his pitching coach.

Gammons was saying his elbow was so messed up that his pitches, specifically his fastball, had zero movement.
    I agree, and in 2010 he had a 4.4 era, which sucks. To hope at 3 years older with a bad track record, and a surgery on a destroyed elbow, a guy can get back to 4.4 says a lot.
    ----------------------------
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    There is going to be such a rejection of long term deals in the MLB this year that it might even get to the point where the Players Association feels justified in a collusion suit against the leagues teams. But in this case, I don't think they will have a leg to stand on if it happens.
    We'll see what happens, but I haven't seen any evidence yet of teams being any more cautious about long term deals. This free agent season won't see too many big deals but only because there aren't many elite players on the market.

I agree, and in 2010 he had a 4.4 era, which sucks. To hope at 3 years older with a bad track record, and a surgery on a destroyed elbow, a guy can get back to 4.4 says a lot.
    It's not great, no. But for a #5 man, to give you 215 innings and a 4.40 ERA and 14 wins, I'll take that every single day of the week. Every day.

And he gave the Sox a 3.96 ERA in the 2nd half of 2010, so he was better down the stretch.
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Innings Eater- I see this thrown round to describe some pitchers. What does this mean to you? I would think I could eat innings, I would give up a crap ton if runs, but I could eat up innings. So either a guy is good enough or not right? Eating innings means nothing unless your era is respectable, right?
    Dear Mr. Henry,
    I appreciate the championships- but I'm watching today's game to see a competitive team. I don't keep going back to restaurants who serve terrible food because two years ago I had a great meal there.

Innings Eater- I see this thrown round to describe some pitchers. What does this mean to you? I would think I could eat innings, I would give up a crap ton if runs, but I could eat up innings. So either a guy is good enough or not right? Eating innings means nothing unless your era is respectable, right?
    Innings eater is a guy who goes out there and throws 7 innings almost every night, makes all of his starts, and saves your bullpen, all while keeping your team in the game and giving them a good chance to win.

Throwing 7 IP and allowing 3-4 runs keeps your team in it every game.

Is Lackey overpaid? Absolutely (unless you count his new option which drops his AAV to around $10.333mm. But he is what he is, a 5th starter who will take the ball with his elbow falling off and goes out there and competes. He's not the best pitcher in the world, but he's your 5th man.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    It's not great, no. But for a #5 man, to give you 215 innings and a 4.40 ERA and 14 wins, I'll take that every single day of the week. Every day.

And he gave the Sox a 3.96 ERA in the 2nd half of 2010, so he was better down the stretch.
    I guess its not out of the realm, I really hope he could be productive. I do think he took to much crap about being a negative influence, so it would be great to see him come back. I seem to remember thinking his 2010 14 wins were pretty lucky. I personally do not get or like the 1-5 ratings of starters. You want the five best possible pitchers on your staff. I think I'm just grumpy from last season still, just tough for me to have a good attitude looking forward with most of these guys.
    Dear Mr. Henry,

On a side note - Anthony Ranaudo threw 3 hitless innings last night in Puerto Rico, throwing 93-94 with a good change and curveball, according to Speier.

If he can get back on track, with Webster, De La Rosa, Barnes, Owens, Workman, Britton, and Brian Johnson, the Sox have a ton of SP depth.