Register now to remove this ad

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: 4/26 @ WhiteSox

Re: 4/26 @ WhiteSox

here is Salty and Doubie hugging it out... hilarious
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/cutfour...nt_id=29763426

Deity

This is probably not the place to have this discussion but it started here. Here below is the best statistical data I can find for my impression of AGonz when the Sox really needed him in 2011. These are the splits for Pedroia and Agons for game situations when the Sox were ahead vs game situations when the Sox were behind. Agons is being mentioned in the same breadth with Pedroia for his production when the Sox really needed clutch performance in 2011 and I think this data below says otherwise. By the way, you should not expect to see the numbers total to 162 in the "G" Games column because Games here represents Game Situations when the Sox were either ahead or behind.

When I first looked at Agons stats it made sense that his stats for game situations with the Sox leading should be better than they were for the Sox trailing. However, should they be so wide? AGons total stats are as good if not better than Pedroia's in many categories. However the stats clearly show that AGons was collecting most of his numbers by a very wide margin when the Sox were already ahead in games. Pedroia was collecting almost as many of his numbers when the Sox were behind as when they were ahead. Look at BA, OBP and SLG. Pedroia's numbers are very close, easily within range of the simple difference between the number of times the Sox were leading in 2011 vs the number of times they were behind. In fact in some cases Pedroia's numbers were better when the Sox were behind than when they were ahead regardless of the fact that Pedroia came to the plate more with the Sox leading than trailing. Whereas Agons numbers are widely disparate and always much better when the Sox were leading than trailing. Look at BA, OBP, SLG and OPS comparisons for example.

This is exactly the impression I had of Agons performance vs Pedroia's when watching them play. Pedroia was just as effective when the Sox needed to come back as when they were ahead. AGons was collecting a good many of his numbers when the Sox were ahead and the comparative difference when the Sox were behind was huge.

The first data set below is for Pedroia and the second is for Agons.

Split AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB BA OBP SLG OPS
    Ahead 231 73 16 0 8 37 27 316 382 489 0.871
    Behind 197 58 10 2 9 33 30 294 389 503 0.891

Ahead 225 88 15 2 12 54 35 391 477 636 1.113
    Behind 208 57 11 1 9 32 18 274 332 466 0.798

Interesting. Somehow, I have some flashes when we needed Adrian to turn around things and he didn't. He is such a great player. I think that he will improve and give us more. I liked his 1st half in 2011. He is capable to finish with an OPS above 1.

I think he will end with 30+ Hrs/100+ RBI/1.0+ OPS this season
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Doubront to Salty: 'Let's hug it out' :lol:

http://mlb.mlb.com/cutfour/article.j...nt_id=29763426

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz;750450;

Always go left!
    And the Lord said, "Go Sox"

People tell me that I'm patronizing.
    (That's when you talk down to people)

Quote Originally Posted by jung;750397;
    This is probably not the place to have this discussion but it started here. Here below is the best statistical data I can find for my impression of AGonz when the Sox really needed him in 2011. These are the splits for Pedroia and Agons for game situations when the Sox were ahead vs game situations when the Sox were behind. Agons is being mentioned in the same breadth with Pedroia for his production when the Sox really needed clutch performance in 2011 and I think this data below says otherwise. By the way, you should not expect to see the numbers total to 162 in the "G" Games column because Games here represents Game Situations when the Sox were either ahead or behind.

When I first looked at Agons stats it made sense that his stats for game situations with the Sox leading should be better than they were for the Sox trailing. However, should they be so wide? AGons total stats are as good if not better than Pedroia's in many categories. However the stats clearly show that AGons was collecting most of his numbers by a very wide margin when the Sox were already ahead in games. Pedroia was collecting almost as many of his numbers when the Sox were behind as when they were ahead. Look at BA, OBP and SLG. Pedroia's numbers are very close, easily within range of the simple difference between the number of times the Sox were leading in 2011 vs the number of times they were behind. In fact in some cases Pedroia's numbers were better when the Sox were behind than when they were ahead regardless of the fact that Pedroia came to the plate more with the Sox leading than trailing. Whereas Agons numbers are widely disparate and always much better when the Sox were leading than trailing. Look at BA, OBP, SLG and OPS comparisons for example.

This is exactly the impression I had of Agons performance vs Pedroia's when watching them play. Pedroia was just as effective when the Sox needed to come back as when they were ahead. AGons was collecting a good many of his numbers when the Sox were ahead and the comparative difference when the Sox were behind was huge.

The first data set below is for Pedroia and the second is for Agons.

Ahead 231 73 16 0 8 37 27 316 382 489 0.871
    Behind 197 58 10 2 9 33 30 294 389 503 0.891

Ahead 225 88 15 2 12 54 35 391 477 636 1.113
    Behind 208 57 11 1 9 32 18 274 332 466 0.798
    The problem with using these numbers as indicative of anything is that: A) They're a small sample. B ) Gonzales, as mentioned by Bellhorn last night, was simply not being pitched to. C) You have a pet peeve with it.

Numbers with runners in scoring position are numbers with runners in scoring position. Trying to nitpick them to include situations where Gonzales was clearly not going to be pitched to if a at all possible is dishonest.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name?;750453;
    The problem with using these numbers as indicative of anything is that: A) They're a small sample. B ) Gonzales, as mentioned by Bellhorn last night, was simply not being pitched to. C) You have a pet peeve with it.

Numbers with runners in scoring position are numbers with runners in scoring position. Trying to nitpick them to include situations where Gonzales was clearly not going to be pitched to if a at all possible is dishonest.
    I imagine that his numbers are going to start looking much much better soon, especially since pitchers are going to have to pitch to him with Ortiz behind him, and if Ortiz stays as hot as he is right now, they just won't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz;750450;

dude seriously check the very first post of this page.. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Show;750451;
    Always go left!
    well he is left handed might have gotten confused ... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by kapsis21;750463;
    dude seriously check the very first post of this page.. :thumbdown
    Ohhh didnt noticie...

Quote Originally Posted by User Name?;750453;

Exactly. Gonzo came out after the season and said he was expanding the zone and trying to do too much rather than taking his walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.