Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Trip to Boston June 2012 Help/Suggestions

Trip to Boston June 2012 Help/Suggestions

Hey all,

I am returning to Boston this year and attending the June 6th/7th games Vs. Baltimore.

The closest hotel I was able to get (without completely going broke lol) was the Holiday Inn - Somerville (4.6 miles from Fenway Park). Being that we are arriving on the 5th and leaving on the 8th, I didn't want to spend more than $700.00 total on our hotel. (We are coming from Canada, and already have to dish out the coin for flights and what-not)

Couple of questions I would appreciate help with...

From what I understand, I am going to be taking the T-Red Line to Kenmore. Does this make the most sense in terms of closest stop to Fenway Park?

Also, does the T run 24/7, or will I need to grab a cab after the games back to the hotel? (both games are night games)

How much would a cab run me for that Fenway to Somerville trip (roughly) if we did need to grab the cab?

This will be my girlfriend's first trip to Boston - So I am thinking of grabbing Old Town Trolley Tour tickets so that she can get a decent run-down of Boston etc. This tour was awesome/affordable/informative/convenient for me in the past....Anyone have a better suggestion here, or does that sound like the best bet in that sense?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
    So Send I You By Grace Made Strong

Re: Trip to Boston June 2012 Help/Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by onlybereaved;731974;
    Hey all,

I am returning to Boston this year and attending the June 6th/7th games Vs. Baltimore.

The closest hotel I was able to get (without completely going broke lol) was the Holiday Inn - Somerville (4.6 miles from Fenway Park). Being that we are arriving on the 5th and leaving on the 8th, I didn't want to spend more than $700.00 total on our hotel. (We are coming from Canada, and already have to dish out the coin for flights and what-not)

Couple of questions I would appreciate help with...

From what I understand, I am going to be taking the T-Red Line to Kenmore. Does this make the most sense in terms of closest stop to Fenway Park?

Also, does the T run 24/7, or will I need to grab a cab after the games back to the hotel? (both games are night games)

How much would a cab run me for that Fenway to Somerville trip (roughly) if we did need to grab the cab?

This will be my girlfriend's first trip to Boston - So I am thinking of grabbing Old Town Trolley Tour tickets so that she can get a decent run-down of Boston etc. This tour was awesome/affordable/informative/convenient for me in the past....Anyone have a better suggestion here, or does that sound like the best bet in that sense?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
    You will need to change from the Red line to the Green line at Park Station to get to Kenmore.

The T does not run 24/7; no idea on the cab rate but getting a cab might be a bigger problem than the price.

You can also walk the Freedom Trail by yourself if you want to have a more flexible schedule.

We should just set up an FAQ because this post is made a few times a year.

Cabs are worthless in Boston. Just walk and use the T. It's a tiny city.

I would recommend looking for other hotels. That's in the middle of nowhere Somerville and it will be a pain in the ass to get from there to anywhere. A cab from Fenway to that hotel would probably run you $25

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;731996;
    I would recommend looking for other hotels. That's in the middle of nowhere Somerville and it will be a pain in the ass to get from there to anywhere. A cab from Fenway to that hotel would probably run you $25
    More like $40-50

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78;732010;
    More like $40-50
    :lol: No that's like a 4 mile drive straight up through Cambridge. You seem to just have an irrational hatred of cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;732017;
    :lol: No that's like a 4 mile drive straight up through Cambridge. You seem to just have an irrational hatred of cabs.
    Cambridge to Mission Hill was $25 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by yeszir;731996;
    Yeah..Last year I stayed right downtown Boston and walked to Fenway in 3 mins. It was handy/crucial location-wise, but I had a hook-up on the Hotel and stayed there for next to nothing.

This year, I have no hook-up in terms of hotel deals. This hotel in Somerville that I got this year cost me $670.00 for the 3 nights I am staying. ANY (checked any/every, multiple times and through multiple sources) hotel closer, is 349.00 per NIGHT.

So, staying closer would be awesome - agreed. I've done it. But this year that won't be an option, as I refuse to pay $349.00 per night for a hotel Downtown Boston.

I just have to deal with this being the best deal and the closest I could get given my budget, and work with the good/bad that comes with it. The next closest was the Ramada at Logan which is more like 10miles-ish away - and that was a total of $570.00. I threw the extra $100.00 to at least be 5km-ish closer, and to get a better hotel in general.

I guess I am just looking at the best help suggestions I can get given where I have decided to stay. So, "stay closer" isn't helpful lol...

I appreciate the suggestions though for sure

But I'll agree, it's probably an irrational fear!

Is that the hotel near Sullivan Square? The pizza place a few blocks away has great calzones and there's a fairly decent chinese food place too.

As long as the T is open late enough for me to catch it after the games, I am laughing. There is a stop on the same block as my hotel...If it's not open when the games end, I will most likely have to walk towards the hotel until a cab stops for me (if one stops at all).

Edit to note: I can't open the PDF for the t-schedule from their website. But the general consensus regarding what time the T closes seems to be "around midnight" lol.

We'll see.

I'm not sure but I think they extend how late the T runs depending on games.

I just stay at the Red Roof Inn in Saugus for 100 bucks a night and take a taxi to the wonderland T station for 15 bucks

Alright...So I was able to reserve a room for the 3 nights at the 'shady' Howard Johnson Inn Fenway Park. The cost is pretty much the same ($50.00 more total) as the Holiday Inn Somerville.

Now, I just have to figure out which one to stick with, and which one to cancel. The general reviews on this HJ-Fenway-Park Hotel are scary/shady.

Do you think this would be worth toughing-out for purposes of location alone, compared to having to bunk in Somerville?

I wouldn't care if I was going alone, but I am bringing my girlfriend...

We gonna end up killed like a slasher film, or we good here? lol.

As long as the game is over by 11, you should be fine.