Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is Francona done managing the Sox?

Re: Is Francona done managing the Sox?

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport;697984;
    The Globe (Shaughnessy) this morning is turning against the Red Sox--saying they don't deserve to make the playoffs. They are also now talking about differences between Theo and Francona--which is the kiss of death for Francona. Managers always take the hit in these situations, though it wasn't Tito who put the roster together. He is responsible, however, for the team's shoddy play on the field and the disarray in the pitching.
    It's Theo's fault that Tito has to run Wakefield, Lackey, TBA, Weiland and Deadbeat Dad Bedard to the mound in the final month of the season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Remember when everyone was hammering Claude Julien for the Bruin's play last winter?

The truth is that the manager almost always gets fired in these situations. Rarely does the GM go so E1 doesn't have to worry. He can keep trying to convince everyone that it's not Theo's fault, but that will be an uphill battle as indicated by the poll.

IMO, Cashman has been eating Theo's lunch for a while.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;698001;
    The truth is that the manager almost always gets fired in these situations. Rarely does the GM go so E1 doesn't have to worry. He can keep trying to convince everyone that it's not Theo's fault, but that will be an uphill battle as indicated by the poll.

Nice A700. I'm not saying it isn't his fault. I'm saying that "it" isn't the end of the world. A team that is the front runner to get in the playoffs. A team that led the AL East with the 2nd best record in baseball going into September. A team that has the 3rd best record over the past 4 years. The difference between where they are now and winning the AL East and being favorites to win the AL might be Theo's fault, but that's not the same as saying that if Theo weren't here they would be doing better. There is no assurance of that at all. None.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;698010;
    Nice A700. I'm not saying it isn't his fault. I'm saying that "it" isn't the end of the world. A team that is the front runner to get in the playoffs. A team that led the AL East with the 2nd best record in baseball going into September. A team that has the 3rd best record over the past 4 years. The difference between where they are now and winning the AL East and being favorites to win the AL might be Theo's fault, but that's not the same as saying that if Theo weren't here they would be doing better. There is no assurance of that at all. None.
    There are no such assurances. I am just saying that is there are no playoffs this year and Tito gets fired that will indicate that Theo is on very thin ice. He might not get more than one year to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by example1;698010;
    Nice A700. I'm not saying it isn't his fault. I'm saying that "it" isn't the end of the world.
    And everybody on this board would be agree with you. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;698011;
    There are no such assurances. I am just saying that is there are no playoffs this year and Tito gets fired that will indicate that Theo is on very thin ice. He might not get more than one year to turn things around.
    Yup.

On a very,very, thin ice. I don't see other 3 years of bad management after other 2012 failure.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

I don't see it at all, but there seems to be some backroom maneuvering, which has never happened

Major Leaguer

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;696552;
    How about Ozzie Guillen? I think it would be refreshing to see some emotion coming from the manager spot for a little while :lol:
    Maybe Guillen is the right guy to put the players in line? They are becoming far too comfortable with Francona.

And just imagine the hilariously awkward managing of Bobby Jenks.

Deity

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;698011;
    I would say "he might not get more than one more manager to turn it around". If the next hand-picked guy has a legitimate run (which, with this management team, will be 3-4 years most likely) and fails then bye bye Theo. It isn't one more year. That's too quick IMO. Especially if they make the playoffs or contend for the division.

With the 2nd Wild Card potentially on the way, many of you may never get your dream of seeing Theo shown the door.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;698001;

what. eating his lunch? How did he do in the all or nothing run for Lee? He did very little for them in that run

Legend

I think it's a fair assessment that the manager gets fired before the GM.
    They certainly never get fired the same year.

Tito and Theo are both at fault, in my view.
    Theo made mistakes signing players.
    Tito made mistakes not running the team properly.
    The Red Sox are a passive, leaderless team.
    The team leader is Pedroia, and it's not even acknowledged.

Legend

I don't think Guillen would be acceptable to the Red Sox management.
    He is too volatile a guy. They value guys like Tito--good with the players and the media--
    and does what he's told.

What they need is a manager more oriented towards fundamentals and team play.
    More intense about winning. Sharper on game management and handling pitching.
    Plus all the other stuff Tito is good at.

That's all.