Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Sox be possible players for Sabathia???

Re: Could Sox be possible players for Sabathia???

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;695572;
    There is no earthly way that the Yankees get outbid on C.C. None. I actually have a feeling, but am not entirely sure, that the yanks won't be outbid on Wilson, either. We don't have needs in the pen or on offense, and we do have some dead weight coming off the books (Posada, Igawa, etc)
    This is coming from the guy that said Cliff Lee and Crawford were locks to go to NY
    Bruins,Patriots,Redsox,Celtics,ND Football,BC BasketBall,Team USA

All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;695599;
    Roy Oswalt is in an option year, and was talking about retirement, and Brad Lidge has a club option as well. Ibanez's 12 million is coming off the books, and he has been deadweight this year. Jimmy Rollins will either see his 8 million dollar salary go down in Philly, or go to another team.Other than that, no major players hit arbitration, or see significant bumps in salary.

You have to assume the Phillies have seen massive increases to revenue over the last few years. Based on all of these factors, I believe that Philadelphia will be able to afford him, if they're considering moving on Oswalt. If the Phillies win the World Series, I really don't see any reason why Sabathia wouldn't atleast consider joining the Phillies dynasty for a Cliff-Lee type deal.
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...-A&output=html

Pence and Hamels will be getting a good raise. If Lidge goes you have to assume they'll go after a closer, someone like papelbon too. 140 million in payroll + a good closer(13 to 15 million) I don't know if they'll be able to sign CC, but then again who knows 180 million payroll for them might not be out of the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh;695757;

Pence and Hamels will be getting a good raise. If Lidge goes you have to assume they'll go after a closer, someone like papelbon too. 140 million in payroll + a good closer(13 to 15 million) I don't know if they'll be able to sign CC, but then again who knows 180 million payroll for them might not be out of the window.
    The Phillies have pitching. GM Amaro is aware they need to balance out the lineup. Remember, they traded Lee when they initially acquired Halladay. They would not have signed him had he not wanted to go back to Philly. He took less to go there. The Yanks and Rangers had better offers on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Meh;695757;

Sure, players will be getting raises. It happens. But most of those will be 1-3 million dollar raises, and I just referenced about 30-40 million coming off the books. This is not a situation like Felix Hernandez getting a 7 million dollar raise at the end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;695763;
    Sure, players will be getting raises. It happens. But most of those will be 1-3 million dollar raises, and I just referenced about 30-40 million coming off the books. This is not a situation like Felix Hernandez getting a 7 million dollar raise at the end of this year.
    Huh, Lee gets a $10 million dollar raise. Pence will get much more than $1-3 million dollar raise. Closer? Third base? Left field? Shortstop? The Phillies will not become a one trick pony while Amaro is building that team.