Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 8/19 @ Royals

Re: 8/19 @ Royals

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxbeatz;687492;
    Why do you say that? I don't watch or read much at all about the farm leagues. What about him makes you think he can hit 30HR?

Will Wakefield get his 200th win? I hope so. And Gonzo will get back into first place for RBIs, too! Go Sox
    Lavarnway has hit at every level in the minors, for average and power.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeepYoureDumb;687506;
    Yeah, I'll jump on that bandwagon. Anybody know how Lavarnaway looks behind the dish? Maybe Salty/Lavarnaway could be our catchers next year. Move one onto DH to give Ortiz an occasional blow. Could work.
    Check the first Lavarnway thread, there is been some debate on his defense.

http://www.talksox.com/forum/red-sox...eal-close.html

Quote Originally Posted by SoxSport;687499;
    Well, they lucked out with a quality start from Miller--and a quality relief job from Aceves--the only reliable reliever they have outside of Pap and Bard. They sign all these new bullpen guys in the off-season, and none of them are any good except Aceves. Sooner or later, they'll blow him out if they overpitch him.

Have you forgotten Albers?

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Wheeler I wouldn't say is reliable but he's getting much much better.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13;687513;
    Have you forgotten Albers?
    Don't bother with Soxsport, he never knows what he's talking about, and even if you completely reject the argument he makes with stone cold facts, he'll regurgitate it in the next thread. Kind of like me, except with fewer posts.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBeepYoureDumb;687506;
    Yeah, I'll jump on that bandwagon. Anybody know how Lavarnaway looks behind the dish? Maybe Salty/Lavarnaway could be our catchers next year. Move one onto DH to give Ortiz an occasional blow. Could work.
    I heard that he is terrible behind the plate.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;687532;
    I heard that he is terrible behind the plate.
    He isn't great, he isn't terrible. His mechanics aren't wonderful and he doesn't look like a natural catcher, , but he gets the job done, got a good, strong accurate arm and his "pop time" is big league average. He's also been working very hard to improve, and has shown significant progress recently.

Where he's gonna struggle is in the thinking aspects of catching, simply because he hasn't done them as long. Pitchcalling, setting the D, he'll have some trouble blocking big league breaking pitches, that's par for the course since as a catcher he's very raw. That said, his issue is lack of reps and experience. The tools are fine. This is definitely a guy who COULD LEARN to be a very good catcher. It's just that it'll take him a few years to get there.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;687559;
    He isn't great, he isn't terrible. His mechanics aren't wonderful and he doesn't look like a natural catcher, , but he gets the job done, got a good, strong accurate arm and his "pop time" is big league average. He's also been working very hard to improve, and has shown significant progress recently.

Where he's gonna struggle is in the thinking aspects of catching, simply because he hasn't done them as long. Pitchcalling, setting the D, he'll have some trouble blocking big league breaking pitches, that's par for the course since as a catcher he's very raw. That said, his issue is lack of reps and experience. The tools are fine. This is definitely a guy who COULD LEARN to be a very good catcher. It's just that it'll take him a few years to get there.
    I heard on NESN that Francona said in Spring Training that Lavarnway had a long way to go in his defensive development.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."