Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 8/19 @ Royals

Re: 8/19 @ Royals

I thought he pitched Lackey 2nd due to match up issues and not wanting to pitch Beckett in TX?

These last few runs have been big. Bard and Papelbon needed a little rest. They've thrown 50-60 innings each this season. Francona needs to get Wheeler some freaking work, especially in tight situations. He's been throwing really well lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

That's 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief against really a pretty good lineup.

This is why I call him the Pocket Ace.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Finally the offense shows up.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;687458;
    That's 2 2/3 scoreless innings of relief against really a pretty good lineup.

This is why I call him the Pocket Ace.
    How bad are the Yankees kicking themselves for letting this guy get away?? He can come in and be a great set up guy in the 8th, or he can come in after our SP is getting shelled and give us 3 innings of elite bullpen innings and give us a chance to come back. His value in the bullpen, due to versatility and talent, is almost as high as Bard's IMHO.
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Well, it's not sexy, but 1 for 4 with a walk isn't a terrible day.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth;687460;
    How bad are the Yankees kicking themselves for letting this guy get away?? He can come in and be a great set up guy in the 8th, or he can come in after our SP is getting shelled and give us 3 innings of elite bullpen innings and give us a chance to come back. His value in the bullpen, due to versatility and talent, is almost as high as Bard's IMHO.
    Agreed. He's what we were trying to get out of Masterson when he was still here, only really doing it.

And the fact that one, we stole him from NYY, and two, we control him for multiple seasons going orward, is just a delicious combination.

Aceves is now in line for a save if he can close it out.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;687426;
    Salty is going to turn out to be the headline acquisition of the 2010-2011 offseason. Nothing against Adgon but we were already pretty good at first base. We DESPERATELY needed someone who could do what Salty's doing.
    We were good at first base with Youk but when you have a chance to go A-God/Youk over Youk/Beltre you take it.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Noting as I do the difference between Youk last year, and Youk this year, I'm not so sure. The extra demands on him defensively are hurting him at the plate.

Ahh c'mon kid, go get one more.

Youk is struggling pretty bad this season. We may be seeing the end of the Youkilis era, defensively speaking, and may start to see the transition to Middlebrooks fairly soon, i.e. late 2012, early 2013.

That's a little quick for Middlebrooks as a starting player. If Youk's done now, we're probably looking at a brief Lowrie interregnum until WMB is properly ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;687469;
    That's a little quick for Middlebrooks as a starting player. If Youk's done now, we're probably looking at a brief Lowrie interregnum until WMB is properly ready.
    You think so? I don't know, he'll get a full seasons worth of AB in AAA before getting called up. I could easily see him in early 2013, and probably even late 2012 to get some playing time under his belt.

If the Sox sign Ortiz to a 1 year deal, would it really be that surprising to see Youk take over DH in 2013, and Middlebrooks as 3B?

sucks cess.