Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox = Miami Heat?

Red Sox = Miami Heat?

I knew that this team would need some time to gel like the Heat. Too much talent, a couple of new players. Plus, the Sox had plenty of players that missed most of last year with injuries and are getting their legs back under them.
    Once the focus on Crawford dies down and other players start assuming their roles, he will explode.

Re: Red Sox = Miami Heat?

Lowrie = Big Z

I can see it.

Major Leaguer

Fuck the Heat.

Yeah, I don't like the comparison either, I like the Red Sox.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

The Google tells me the Miami Heat are a basketball team. Basketball /=/ baseball. There's no way to compare the teams.

Oh, and basketball sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Talksox hall of famer RedSoxfanforlife305's Avatar

I said this earlier but it wasn't so much of the content of the sport I was comparing. What I said was we'd end up like the heat, favorites to win it all and then start off slow. Eventually we'd get on fire and make the playoffs. Right now we're doing just as bad as the Heat did.
    Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT : Mind your own fucking business if a conversation doesn't concern you and maybe we can start acting like adults.

Legend

I think it's a valid comparison, in terms of major changes and time needed to regenerate chemistry.

Chemistry is something that GMs happen on when they have success, and then too often get rid of it.
    For example, Danny Ainge happened on great chemistry with his starting five and won a championship.
    He then let his key bench player, Posey, go to free agency. He now has traded his defensive center, Perkins, one of his original starters. The Celtics haven't repeated their championship. And if they fail this year, it will likely be due to the center position more than anything else.

Epstein made two good signings last year in Beltre and VMart. The Sox did surprisingly well last year until injuries to Youkilis and Pedroia. But Theo loves AdGon and made a good trade for him. He let Vmart and Beltre go--two main RHd power hitters against lefties. Replaced by Crawford and AdGon, two left handed hitters. Upsetting the lineup balance. The result is teams are throwing left handed pitchers at them any time they can. This is bound to affect their hitting, because the platoon RHd hitters they have aren't as good as VMart and Beltre. And Crawford and AdGon aren't going to hit LHders as well.

Epstein has messed with the chemistry--the balance of hitters in the lineup. And the Sox are taking some time to adjust.

Sox equal heat? I hope not... those guys are gonna get killed by the Celtics!
    Sox fan since "Morgan Magic" (1988)

Anyting compared to King James is not a positive in my estimation.

Boston is better than that.

All-Star

I don't think there's really much "chemistry" in baseball.
    In sports like basketball, soccer, and hockey, improving your own statistics can hurt the team.
    In baseball, there is virtually no way to improve how you personally perform and hurt your team.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Will617;638702;
    I don't think there's really much "chemistry" in baseball.
    In sports like basketball, soccer, and hockey, improving your own statistics can hurt the team.
    In baseball, there is virtually no way to improve how you personally perform and hurt your team.
    Not so sure I agree. How is chasing personal scoring records in those sports any different than the Willie Mays Hayes Syndrome - swinging for the fences for your own glory rather than helping the team by getting on base? In all cases, when the player is successful, it helps the team, but the issue, and what hurts the team, is the frequency of failure along the quest.

True, in any game, a cocky player isn't going to help, a good player will. But I do agree that a slow start doesn't mean a bad year. Things are looking up!

Legend

Miami seems to have jelled as a team. The Celtics seem to have become unjelled--probably due to trading Perkins. I always thought their starting 5 had great balance. Ainge screwed the pooch trading Perkins, a starter, for two bench players. Funny, Ainge, a starter, was traded from the Celtics in the 80s for bench players: he made the same mistake as GM!

What you hope now is Theo hasn't screwed the pooch signing too many left handed hitters, while letting two right ones go.

redsox have class and haven't had a guy on the team have a teammate fuck his mom ,so no
    Bruins,Patriots,Redsox,Celtics,ND Football,BC BasketBall,Team USA

As far as the slow start, I can agree. But there has to be a better example then the Heat. God I hate the Heat.