Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Wakefield

Re: Tim Wakefield

Quote Originally Posted by AtWork;686351;
    Tim Wakefield's ERA is deceiving. He's given up more unearned runs than Beckett, Lester, Lackey and Buchholz combined.
    Considering he's made 0 errors himself, I don't see how that's relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AtWork;686351;
    Tim Wakefield's ERA is deceiving. He's given up more unearned runs than Beckett, Lester, Lackey and Buchholz combined.
    And the reason they're determined to be UNEARNED runs is...
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with the amount of wild pitches/passed balls that come with the knuckler, not to mention that the ball comes off the bat differently from a knuckleball than a regular pitch, which results in miscues defensively.

Personally, I hate the knuckleball, so I'm not a huge Wakefield fan at this point. You can't argue how much he has done for this team in the past, so it's not like I don't like him as a person and don't appreciate him, because I do. Wakefield is just out of shape, old, can't field his position well, and throws a pitch that is incredibly inconsistent. I'd rather see Weiland out there than Wakefield personally. Again, nothing against Wakefield as a person at all, I just don't think he's effective, especially as his innings continue to climb.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686334;
    He had that streak this year. In case you didn't notice he had a period in I want to say June and early July that dropped 2 runs off his ERA. His first couple starts after being put back into the rotation were rough, and then he hit his run because the league hadn't seen him for awhile, then the team got used to Wakefield being in the rotation again and people are relearning how to wait on the guy.
    The best run he has had has been the stretch that he is in currently. and the Sox have lost 2 of those 4 games. He hasn't had more than 2 QS in a row except for his current run. Each time that he has had back to back Quality Starts he has followed those with back to back bad outings.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji;686354;
    And the reason they're determined to be UNEARNED runs is...
    Becuase they don't count towards the outcome of the game? Oh wait...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;686353;
    Considering he's made 0 errors himself, I don't see how that's relevant.
    Come on, you're smarter than that. I'm sure you realize that most of the unearned runs that Wakefield allows are a direct result of his pitching style. He's always allowed a lot of unearned runs, it's not just one flukey year.

They're still called unearned runs for a reason.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by AtWork;686371;
    Come on, you're smarter than that. I'm sure you realize that most of the unearned runs that Wakefield allows are a direct result of his pitching style. He's always allowed a lot of unearned runs, it's not just one flukey year.
    Fair enough. But I stand by my belief that he's a perfectly fine #6 or 7 starter.

Too me, the age decides it. He is 45, 5 years away from 50, which is pretty close.
    -He already set for 2000, strikeouts. He has something like 2018.
    - If he doesnt win 200 this year, I would play another year because your could also get 600 Games, 3000 Hits Allowed (not saying he wants that one)
    So if you look at it, he needs some more milestones that need to be finished, so even if he is not on the Red Sox, I say another year will fit him good. Since is major league debut (2 ERA) he has been always in the 4 ERA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;686414;
    Fair enough. But I stand by my belief that he's a perfectly fine #6 or 7 starter.
    He's OK for a 6th or 7th starter but I'd rather we go a different route once Doubront is healthy and see if we can get a pitcher who's OK for a 4th or 5th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by AtWork;686418;
    He's OK for a 6th or 7th starter but I'd rather we go a different route once Doubront is healthy and see if we can get a pitcher who's OK for a 4th or 5th starter.
    I liked Doubront last season, but he's had atleast 3 injuries since his debut. He might not be healthy enough to hold down a spot for the full year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;686425;
    I liked Doubront last season, but he's had atleast 3 injuries since his debut. He might not be healthy enough to hold down a spot for the full year.
    I agree, I was talking about the rest of this year. I'm all for going out and getting another starter this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AtWork;686431;
    I agree, I was talking about the rest of this year. I'm all for going out and getting another starter this offseason.
    Yeah, but you can't pick and choose when Doubront's going to be injured. This year, the 5th spot was his for the taking, and how did that work out?

Banned

The worst that's going to happen is that he gets hurt again and we're back where we started with Wakefield in September.

But if we decide to go with Doubront instead of Wakefield, as you suggested, when Doubront goes down, there will be no Wakefield to replace him.