Register now to remove this ad

Page 100 of 144 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2158

Thread: What floats your boat?

Teaching was a great experience for me, but I'm glad I'm actually working in my field now.

Even though I technically still teach, just not kids.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    93????????? Show some respect, will you Kimmi? I'm 74----still the dean of talksox if we use age as a consideration. Hey, that's an idea. If 700 Hitter can be the King of Talksox why can't I be the Dean since I'm the most senior member of the cast. Besides, I was a teacher for 35 years and know all about the profession. I can't say I enjoyed every day of my teaching career but will 99% of the time suffice?

LOL Fred, I'm just messing with you. I meant no disrespect.

If it makes you feel any better, I annoint you "The Dean of Talksox"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden View Post
    Obviously you don't work in NY, NJ, or some towns in Mass. I have friends who with a coaching stipend make $125K+ with incredible benefits. One hasn't updated his teaching plan for years since he teaches Spanish.

Please don't think I'm anti-teacher. Good ones are incredibly important in developing contributing members of society. It's only the teachers that act bored and are just going through the motions that drive me nuts since they are protected by the union.

Ogden, I don't think you're anti-teacher, but I am not going to get into a discussion about education, teachers, or salaries on this forum. It would not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

The King of TalkSox is in favor of this title for Fred!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Ogden, I don't think you're anti-teacher, but I am not going to get into a discussion about education, teachers, or salaries on this forum. It would not end well.
    The profession of teaching which is critically important to society has been used as a pawn to further an idealogical political agenda. There is no better issue to demagogue than the education of our children. It is an issue that tugs at the emotions. Has education gotten better because of the politics? No. Have things gotten better for the teachers? Marginally so and only in wealthier school districts. Suffice it to say that the politicians on both side of the aisle have used the teachers for their own causes. What the profession needs are more teachers like those of you on this board who teach or have taught and served their communities well.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Teaching was a great experience for me, but I'm glad I'm actually working in my field now.

Even though I technically still teach, just not kids.

Sometimes teaching adults is harder than teaching kids. Just look at the adults that we are trying to educate on this forum. They just don't want to learn! LOL

The profession of teaching which is critically important to society has been used as a pawn to further an idealogical political agenda. There is no better issue to demagogue than the education of our children. It is an issue that tugs at the emotions. Has education gotten better because of the politics? No. Have things gotten better for the teachers? Marginally so and only in wealthier school districts. Suffice it to say that the politicians on both side of the aisle have used the teachers for their own causes. What the profession needs are more teachers like those of you on this board who teach or have taught and served their communities well.

Discussing education is like trying to discuss politics or religion. People are very passionate about their views, and things can turn ugly very quickly, which is why I avoid such topics on forums. Thank you for the compliment in your last sentence.

Sometimes teaching adults is harder than teaching kids. Just look at the adults that we are trying to educate on this forum. They just don't want to learn! LOL
    LOL! No, we just refuse to be indoctrinated. That indicates that we can think for ourselves. We learn by takinng in information and analyzing it and making our own decision about it. It would be great if we could get more students to that point.

I believe 'The Crusty Curmudgeon of Talksox' is also still available.

I always thought 'The General' would be a good nickname for Fred. He strikes me as an old army general type, kickin' ass and takin' names.

The dean of talksox? Fits perfect for Fred.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I believe 'The Crusty Curmudgeon of Talksox' is also still available.

I always thought 'The General' would be a good nickname for Fred. He strikes me as an old army general type, kickin' ass and takin' names.
    The General fit too.

That's swell Kimmi. Now I have to have some help from you or someone else in order to get that moniker down below my avatar. If I can bring that off, I really like that title. Hope no one is opposed to me using it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    That's swell Kimmi. Now I have to have some help from you or someone else in order to get that moniker down below my avatar. If I can bring that off, I really like that title. Hope no one is opposed to me using it.

I think all you have to do is click on "Settings" at the top of the page, then click on "Edit Signature" on the left of that page, then type in your signature, then save.

I haven't done it though, so I'm not positive.

You need 10k posts to change titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury View Post
    You need 10k posts to change titles.

Bummer. Too bad Fred.