Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama Supports Ground Zero Mosque

Obama Supports Ground Zero Mosque

Just to brighten everyone's evening

David Knowles Writer
    AOL News Surge Desk
    (Aug. 13) -- President Barack Obama gave a thumbs up today to a proposed Islamic community center and mosque that is slated to be built two blocks from the site of the 9/11 attacks in lower Manhattan.

"Let me be clear," Obama said at a White House dinner celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, "as a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as anyone else in this country.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," Obama said, according to CNN.

Obama's remarks drew a prompt response from Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. "President Obama is wrong," said King, The Associated Press reported. "It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero. While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque, they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much."

The proposed construction of the Cordoba House Islamic Center has divided U.S. politicians and the public. Obama's remarks follow a line of argument put forth by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who made an impassioned defense of the construction of the Islamic center in a speech delivered on Governor's Island.

Politicians such as Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich have opposed the mosque, citing their view that the former site of the World Trade center is "hallowed ground" and that building Cordoba House in such close proximity is an affront to the memory of those who died in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

"This is America," Obama declared today, "and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are. The writ of our founders must endure."

New York's Landmarks Preservation Commission has cleared the way for construction of the Islamic center, which will occupy the site that once housed a Burlington Coat Factory outlet store, but the state's governor, David Paterson, has suggested that other land might be made available to the developers of the project.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Re: Obama Supports Ground Zero Mosque

Could go both ways on this one, but I will say that building it two blocks away from Ground Zero does seem insensitive. But they are building it there at their own peril. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some serious vandalism.
    And who are you, the proud lord said, that I must bow so low?
    Only a cat of a different coat, that's all the truth I know. In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws, And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

Obama is a fucking schill. Lets have some religious nutjobs blow up two landmarks, killing thousands, then allow them to put up a fucking mosque on the site. Ridiculous. More reason why this asshole president needs to be ushered out of the White House in 2012
    Hal sucks

I just think its too soon. Social tensions are too high right now, and this situation seems to be just asking for things to escalate.

i'm not a fan of obama but i don't have a problem with the mosque. freedom of religion and freedom of speech are two major cornerstones of american law. people may not like what other people say or do, but the great thing about america is that they still have a right to do it within reason
    budda yaz - i'm trying to be nice so cut me some slack

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios;570515;
    I just think its too soon. Social tensions are too high right now, and this situation seems to be just asking for things to escalate.
    i'm sure people said the same thing about jim crow laws

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Religious freedom for all! (Except Muslims).

Religion is the worst thing to happen to human civiliation. Ever.

If a Muslim country got pissed about someone building a church or synagogue near the site of an American/British/Canadian/Whatever bombing site, everyone from Pat "God gave Hurricane Katrina" Robertson to the "Religious Liberty for All (Except Muslims)" Anti-Defimation League would be calling them intolerant and evil.

Some Muslims attacked New York. Most did not. How dare that majority of them try to open a Muslim Community Center and further Muslim relationships with the New York community! They should be marginalized and oppressed!

Im sure at least one Atheist died in the WTC attack. Would all of the 'tolerant' Christian leaders and outraged citizens be okay with an American Atheists regional office and community center? Probably not.

YOURE ALL WRONG. Stop arguing about who is more correct. If you're going to fight for religious freedom, fight for it for EVERYONE, not just your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar

Also, did the Burlington Coat factory that stood there before offend anyone? Im sure at least one of the hijackers wore a jacket. It's chilly in the Northeast in September on occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;570520;

If a Muslim country got pissed about someone building a church or synagogue near the site of an American/British/Canadian/Whatever bombing site, everyone from Pat "God gave Hurricane Katrina" Robertson to the "Religious Liberty for All (Except Muslims)" Anti-Defimation League would be calling them intolerant and evil.

Some Muslims attacked New York. Most did not. How dare that majority of them try to open a Muslim Community Center and further Muslim relationships with the New York community! They should be marginalized and oppressed!

Im sure at least one Atheist died in the WTC attack. Would all of the 'tolerant' Christian leaders and outraged citizens be okay with an American Atheists regional office and community center? Probably not.

YOURE ALL WRONG. Stop arguing about who is more correct. If you're going to fight for religious freedom, fight for it for EVERYONE, not just your own.
    couldn't agree more

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;570514;
    Obama is a fucking schill. Lets have some religious nutjobs blow up two landmarks, killing thousands, then allow them to put up a fucking mosque on the site. Ridiculous. More reason why this asshole president needs to be ushered out of the White House in 2012
    :blink:

I....agree....110% with jacksonian....

It's just a bit ridiculous, at least this soon. I guess it happens, but I don't like the way it's being handled it all.

It's just insensitive at this point.
    West Virginia University 2014

Hmmm, let me think about this. The Imam said the purpose for building this Mosque was to promote healing. Sincere?

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter;570533;
    Hmmm, let me think about this. The Imam said the purpose for building this Mosque was to promote healing. Sincere?
    It should be obvious to anyone with a sliver of a brain that the healing purpose has been a failure, so why not pull the plug on the project if it isn't going to achieve its purpose?

would anyone throw a fit over a christian church being built by the federal building in oklahoma city?

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation;570520;

Post of the year.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

You do know that the new mosque being built near Ground Zero is replacing an older one, right?
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi