Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Kansas City gets 2012 All-Star Game

Kansas City gets 2012 All-Star Game

KANSAS CITY -- The Kansas City Royals have been awarded the 2012 Major League Baseball All-Star Game and will host the game at Kauffman Stadium, Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig announced at a pre-game press conference held on-field here today.

The 2012 Midsummer Classic will be the 83rd All-Star Game. It will be the third played in Kansas City and the first since July 24, 1973, which the National League won 7-1 at what was then known as Royals Stadium. That contest marked the 24th and final All-Star appearance by Hall of Famer Willie Mays. The other All-Star Game in Kansas City was played at Municipal Stadium on July 11, 1960, won 5-3 by the National League in the first of two All-Star Games played that year (also Yankee Stadium on July 13).

"On behalf of Major League Baseball, I am pleased to announce that the 2012 All-Star Game will be hosted by the Kansas City Royals and be played at beautiful Kauffman Stadium," Commissioner Selig said. "I want to congratulate Royals Owner and Chairman David Glass for putting together a tremendous bid to host this event. His leadership in renovating Kauffman Stadium and the efforts of President Dan Glass and Senior Vice President Kevin Uhlich throughout the bid process were key factors in the decision. This is a special day for the Kansas City Royals organization, the local community and the great baseball fans of Kansas City who will make this event a tremendous success."

"This is a tremendous honor for our organization and every Kansas City Royals fan in our region," said David Glass, Owner and Chairman of the Kansas City Royals. "This will be a golden opportunity for the rest of the baseball world to discover what we already know, that the new-improved Kauffman Stadium is one of the great facilities in all of sports and will be prepared to showcase baseball's best in the 2012 All-Star Game. The All-Star festivities have changed exponentially since the game was last played here when our ballpark opened in 1973 and I can assure you we will be terrific caretakers of a great week of activities leading up to the Midsummer Classic. I would also like to thank Commissioner Selig for putting his faith in us to display one of baseball's gem events."

"Kauffman Stadium has always been one of the best places to enjoy baseball, and the recent renovations by the Royals have made this one of the premier experiences for family fun," said Missouri Governor Jay Nixon. "The 2012 All-Star Game will showcase this beautiful stadium and Kansas City to the whole world, and I am delighted with today's announcement."

The 2012 All-Star Game is tentatively scheduled to be played in Kansas City on Tuesday, July 10, 2012.
    The Batter's Eye - http://www.tbebaseball.com

Re: Kansas City gets 2012 All-Star Game

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;558391;
    I forgot I had even posted that. Anyways, they just made it official today...

BREAKING NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Coco's Disciples;558391;
    Quote Originally Posted by High Mileage;558393;
    I forgot I had even posted that. Anyways, they just made it official today...
    Been awhile since I've had to use this image I created:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    -John Belushi

All-Star

So much for having it at Fenway to celebrate 100 years...

Quote Originally Posted by MDF3530;558421;
    Been awhile since I've had to use this image I created:

Right...because everyone searches for what they posted almost a year ago!