Register now to remove this ad

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal

Re: Metal

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517429;
    Just stop talking. Please. You're making yourself look bad. Go try to learn a thrash song. Try it. Those are all musicians who practiced for a long time, many of whom studied classically. It's all composed of scales, chords, arpeggios, all of which are used in every other form of music.

Listen to something like Musical Death by Testament. Here's a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw

That's not noise. It sounds like they know how to play their instruments, and it sounds coherent.

I liked this song. Although, that guy singing was flat too often. I'm a sucker for 'weeping power chords".

Or how about Orion by Metallica, composed by a bassist who was orignially classically trained on Piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o

listen to the middle section.
    Not my favorite song by them. But I must say, Metallica has always been nice to me (seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517434;
    Alright fine. I might have taken that the wrong way. My bad. I guess I will explain why I find that certain form of music enjoyable. I like the musicianship. Someone looking at it from the outside would probably listen to it and not think much of it, but there is plenty of complex guitar work, drum work and bass work that I find interesting in things like this. I like listening to stuff like this because I like to play instruments on my own and like things I can challenge myself with. Also it's just fun music to listen to. Going to see things live like this is a spectacle. The intensity, the loudness, their ability to play well even live, the energy are all things I love.
    These are the same reasons I like music. Although, I suck at playing any instrument.

Music is an essential element of life. In whatever form you enjoy.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Obviously, I have some work to do on my multi-quoting!

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517449;
    Yes we can be ridiculous, I agree with you. It is a very personal thing, and a very important thing for some people. That's why I get heated.
    I try to hold myself back, because you really don't want to see me do a full musical critique of Testiment/Musical Death. Unfortunately, I do have quite a background with that type of music and I'd rather forget about it. I've moved on and I'll like the new view.

Honest question though, do you ever get headaches from that kind of music?

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517460;
    Honest question though, do you ever get headaches from that kind of music?
    Haha nope. In fact i used to lay in bed with headphones on and fall asleep to stuff like Tool's Lateralus, Metallica's Master Of Puppet's and Mars Volta's France The Mute Album and a lot of ISIS.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517464;
    Haha nope. In fact i used to lay in bed with headphones on and fall asleep to stuff like Tool's Lateralus, Metallica's Master Of Puppet's and Mars Volta's France The Mute Album and a lot of ISIS.
    I listen to really loud music and fall asleep to. I did last night actually.
    "People always ask me if I wish I were bigger. I tell them no. I always wanted to be a miniature badass." Dustin Pedroia

By the way.

I would like to publicly apologize to BPEF.

At some point last summer I said something stupid and insulting to you. I don't remember what I said or when I said it. But I remember feeling regretful about it.

I said it on a public forum so I think it is appropriate to apologize on a public forum.

Whatever I said, I'm sorry.

Spud, don't worry about it. It's alright, it's forgotten. I'd like to apoligize about overreacting earlier to your post. I misunderstood the context of it and let my passion get the best of me.

thats really touching fellas, it literally brought me to tears.
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517464;
    :lol: I have a friend who does the same. As for sleep, I actually can't fall asleep without music. I tend to listen to more calming music, though. Some of my personal favorite "sleep" music is U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (middle of the CD is very relaxing), Jim Hall and Pat Metheny duo, Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night" (solo acoustic), Mike Stern "Voices", Dave Brubeck Quartet, and if I'm really in the mood Grateful Dead or Bruce Hornsby.

I literally drive myself insane when I don't have music. I can't spend 5 minutes in my car without music (I HATE cell phones in my car) and get easily agitated if someone is talking while I'm trying to enjoy the music. I've become dependent on listening to music to fall asleep. Just last week my headphones finally gave way and I had to sleep without music. Needless to say, I barely got any sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517477;
    :lol: I have a friend who does the same. As for sleep, I actually can't fall asleep without music. I tend to listen to more calming music, though. Some of my personal favorite "sleep" music is U2 - The Unforgettable Fire (middle of the CD is very relaxing), Jim Hall and Pat Metheny duo, Pat Metheny "One Quiet Night" (solo acoustic), Mike Stern "Voices", Dave Brubeck Quartet, and if I'm really in the mood Grateful Dead or Bruce Hornsby.

I literally drive myself insane when I don't have music. I can't spend 5 minutes in my car without music (I HATE cell phones in my car) and get easily agitated if someone is talking while I'm trying to enjoy the music. I've become dependent on listening to music to fall asleep. Just last week my headphones finally gave way and I had to sleep without music. Needless to say, I barely got any sleep.
    Brubeck?

Did someone say Brubeck?

I grew up listening to Brubeck during the early 60s!

In fact, one of the best gifts ANYONE ever gave me was "Take Five" on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;517479;
    Brubeck?

Did someone say Brubeck?

I grew up listening to Brubeck during the early 60s!

In fact, one of the best gifts ANYONE ever gave me was "Take Five" on CD.
    I LOVE Dave Brubeck, his quartet was AWESOME. Time Out is one of my all-time favorite jazz albums. I absolutely love all the classical influences in his music and the odd meters are so much fun.

so good...

I don't know if I listened to them too much and just got tired of them or I've just discovered better and more intense stuff (like Nile), but Slayer's really lost their shine with me. Reign in Blood just sounds bland in comparison to things like Shovel Headed Kill Machine, Annihilation of the Wicked, Those Whom the Gods Detest, Schizophrenia, etc..., SOH and Seasons bore me... Haunting the Chapel, Hell Awaits, and WPB are the only ones I still give a shit about.

I think Overkill's replaced them as my top thrash band, with Exodus and Destruction being close seconds.

I don't know, Bobby Blitz's vocals just ruin Overkill for me.

In terms of older bands, Testament and Obituary seem to really stand the test of time. I love Slayer, but I can understand why some people don't like South of Heaven even though it's one of my favorites.

Also, see

I like Testament's newer stuff better. The Gathering is godly and Formation of Damnation is really fucking good, Low is surprisingly good considering how little talk it gets.

Bobby makes Overkill IMO, he sounds like Brian Johnson on acid lol. The only albums where his vocals were grating were Under the Influence, The Years of Decay (even though the album rules) and ReliXIV (partially due to the terrible production).