Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal

Re: Metal

Why is any music enjoyable?

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517416;

People need to remember that music isn't about impressing people with "skillz" or toughness, it's supposed to come from the "heart" and "mind", not fists and penises (or c*nts).
    I'm not so sure. See, I like music with coherence and people who actually know how to play their instruments. Thrash is just too much... noise.
    Just stop talking. Please. You're making yourself look bad. Go try to learn a thrash song. Try it. Those are all musicians who practiced for a long time, many of whom studied classically. It's all composed of scales, chords, arpeggios, all of which are used in every other form of music.

Listen to something like Musical Death by Testament. Here's a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RIk53Atmw

That's not noise. It sounds like they know how to play their instruments, and it sounds coherent.

Or how about Orion by Metallica, composed by a bassist who was orignially classically trained on Piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kfD4lsy4o

listen to the middle section.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;517423;
    Thrash people don't know how to play their instruments?

This is news to me.
    Well, not to any standard I'm used to. I'll admit, they are very good at... doing what they do...

That being said, I'm sure there are some thrash "musicians" (:blink that know what they are doing and can play other genres, but I'd be surprised if it's more than maybe 1% of the genre.

A good thing to note, music to me is more than just something to listen to. I rarely can go a day without listening to music/playing. My ipod goes absolutely everywhere with me and I almost always have music rattling around in my head while I'm walking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy;517426;
    I think you are over reacting. I just don't like that sound. You probably don't like what I listen to either. Big deal. And I did not mean to insult you. You like what you like. That is your right.

I was hoping that you would express why you find this form of music so enjoyable so i could have a better understanding. That's all. I meant no condensation.
    Alright fine. I might have taken that the wrong way. My bad. I guess I will explain why I find that certain form of music enjoyable. I like the musicianship. Someone looking at it from the outside would probably listen to it and not think much of it, but there is plenty of complex guitar work, drum work and bass work that I find interesting in things like this. I like listening to stuff like this because I like to play instruments on my own and like things I can challenge myself with. Also it's just fun music to listen to. Going to see things live like this is a spectacle. The intensity, the loudness, their ability to play well even live, the energy are all things I love.

CEO of the Casas Fan Club Dipre's Avatar

I still need to ask why the fuck did i get dragged into this?

What the fuck did i do?

I wanna know.
    WAR is good for something.

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517430;
    A good thing to note, music to me is more than just something to listen to. I rarely can go a day without listening to music/playing. My ipod goes absolutely everywhere with me and I almost always have music rattling around in my head while I'm walking around.
    As with me. I have an 8G mp3 player that is full to the brim and is used multiple times daily. I also actually post, often, on a music forum, and have submitted my fair share of reviews. So I'd say I'm somewhat of a music fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517430;
    Well, not to any standard I'm used to. I'll admit, they are very good at... doing what they do...

That being said, I'm sure there are some thrash "musicians" (:blink that know what they are doing and can play other genres, but I'd be surprised if it's more than maybe 1% of the genre.

You are intensly condescending. Wow. Refer to my post.

That's nice that music is just more than something for you to lsiten to. Same with me. All I do all day is listen to music. I go to concerts of these bands as often as I can. I play their stuff on my own and jam to it with people. It's what I live. The fact you can be like " "musicians" (:blink " is fucking insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;517435;
    I still need to ask why the fuck did i get dragged into this?

What the fuck did i do?

I wanna know.
    "This will not end well."

"*Grabs popcorn*"

Why did you drag yourself in? You had no reason to post inciteful stuff like that. You could of just as easily not even posted in here if you are not going to contribute to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517439;
    "This will not end well."

"*Grabs popcorn*"

Why did you drag yourself in? You had no reason to post inciteful stuff like that. You could of just as easily not even posted in here if you are not going to contribute to it.
    First of all, the first comment was meant to warn Spudboy you would flip the fuck out, which you did, the second one was expecting the ensuing shitstorm, which happened.

Just chill the fuck out. It's music, you like what you like and they like what they like.

Quote Originally Posted by Dipre;517440;
    First of all, the first comment was meant to warn Spudboy you would flip the fuck out, which you did, the second one was expecting the ensuing shitstorm, which happened.

Just chill the fuck out. It's music, you like what you like and they like what they like.
    I didn't flip out. If you think that's flipping out then lol. I thought his comment was condescending, It's usually expected when someone says something like "no disrespect" or "With all due respect" or I don't mean to be an asshole but", which is what i simply stated in the 2nd part of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517429;
    Just stop talking. Please. You're making yourself look bad. Go try to learn a thrash song. Try it. Those are all musicians who practiced for a long time, many of whom studied classically. It's all composed of scales, chords, arpeggios, all of which are used in every other form of music.
    Your talking to somebody who spent his youth Idolizing Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, etc etc. I spent years learning shred and then I did what most do... I moved on. As someone who spent a couple years at Berklee, it's a very common progression. Just about every "shred" head I knew moved on to modern rock, fusion, jazz, etc.

Now, I did watch those clips and I'm completely not saying Metallica is terrible or can't play. Metallica (Iron Maiden, etc) was a pioneer of the metal genre. It's certainly better than A LOT of music out there. I'm far more likely to listen to this type of metal over any pop or rap. But as music, it's just... stale?

Call me a jazz snob, but sweep arpeggios and phrygian major runs don't impress me very much, nor do they sound all that pleasant (especially with heavy distortion and terrible tone). Yngwie's first album was great, it was original (aside from Ritchie Blackmore), had some good ideas and his tone isn't too bad. The problem is he never went anywhere and it got old, fast. I know it can be said about every genre, there are plenty of "jazz" musicians who suck, but I find there is a lot less over all talent (interesting ideas/passion) in the metal/grunge/trash/pop genres.

I don't really enjoy that genre, some of the very top material is "fun" to listen to on a blue moon, but any more and it gets old and you end up with a head ache. I'm not saying that it's not music worthy to listen to, I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517441;
    I didn't flip out. If you think that's flipping out then lol. I thought his comment was condescending, It's usually expected when someone says something like "no disrespect" or "With all due respect" or I don't mean to be an asshole but", which is what i simply stated in the 2nd part of my post.
    Dude, he was literally asking you why do you enjoy that music. Nothing more, nothing less.

Anyways, i'm done, man. There's no reason to fight about music. At all.

Meh, fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapiEnFuego;517437;
    You are intensly condescending. Wow. Refer to my post.

That's nice that music is just more than something for you to lsiten to. Same with me. All I do all day is listen to music. I go to concerts of these bands as often as I can. I play their stuff on my own and jam to it with people. It's what I live. The fact you can be like " "musicians" (:blink " is fucking insulting.
    I'm just having some fun. The reason why people can get heated about music is because it is so personal. I have an extremely deep passion for beautiful music (pretty much everything apart from metal, pop, and rap) while you an extremely deep passion for metal music. We have vastly different tastes and views and because it is so personal to us, we can get heated defending our tastes.

I'll admit, my post certainly read as heated and condescending and it was intentional. I'm extremely biased and emotional about what I consider good music and good musicians. Just don't take it very seriously, as one musician to another, you should know how ridiculous we can be.

Quote Originally Posted by TedWilliams101;517447;
    I'm just having some fun. The reason why people can get heated about music is because it is so personal. I have an extremely deep passion for beautiful music (pretty much everything apart from metal, pop, and rap) while you an extremely deep passion for metal music. We have vastly different tastes and views and because it is so personal to us, we can get heated defending our tastes.

I'll admit, my post certainly read as heated and condescending and it was intentional. I'm extremely biased and emotional about what I consider good music and good musicians. Just don't take it very seriously, as one musician to another, you should know how ridiculous we can be.
    Yes we can be ridiculous, I agree with you. It is a very personal thing, and a very important thing for some people. That's why I get heated.