Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Ramirez Trade Deadline Thread (renamed)

All-Star

Re: Dodgers, Sox holding "substantive talks" about Ramirez

Maybe this deal is closer than we think? Per mlbtraderumors...
    Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto has multiple baseball sources saying the Red Sox are on the verge of sending Ramirez to Florida for three players, including outfielder Mike Stanton.
    Here's the original quote:
    Multipe baseball sources say the Red Sox are on the verge of sending disgrunted left fielder Manny Ramirez to the Marlins in a trade for a package of three players that included low Class A Greensboro outfielder Mike Stanton, an 18-year-old who is hitting .275/.351/.569 with 26 home runs in 96 games.

All-Star

When i first saw Mike Stanton i was like WTF hes old as hell! then i realized it said outfielder haha.

Mike Stanton better not be the best person we get in return

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj09;337364;
    When i first saw Mike Stanton i was like WTF hes old as hell! then i realized it said outfielder haha.
    LOL me too.

Hermida, Stanton and Allison i'm guessing?

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;337354;
    It was said Burrell has production equal to Manny over the past year and a half I think? Well Manny was hurt a big chunk of 2007 so I think that's moot. Plus the idea is protecting Ortiz, and Burrell won't do that as well as Manny, for the simple reason that its a mental thing with pitchers and the Ortiz/Ramirez combo. If you're a pitcher on the mound debating whether to pitch around Papi, who scares you more when you look toward the on-deck circle; Manny, or Burrell?
    Despite his better health this year, he's still worse than Burrell, according to the stats.

Look, pitcher's are careful with Ortiz regardless of who is behind him. Ortiz was the better hitter the last two years, his production did not suffer when Manny missed time, and pitchers aren't just going to groove him one to avoid walking him simply because of who is hitting behind him. Last year, Manny missed time from 8/29 to 9/24. Did anything change?

Ortiz on 8/28: .322/.433/.577
    Ortiz on 9/25: .321/.437/.600

He was better! He needs no protection. He's a great hitter because he's a great hitter.

Pat Burrell is no Manny Ramirez from '96-'06, and neither is the guy on the Sox right, but that's who I feel he's being compared to.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;337355;
    I didn't. Just that I was sure he wouldn't be. Ok, let's play armchair GM.

He's not traded before the deadline.
    You'll obviously put him on waivers.

Yankee fans: Do you claim him?
    Red Sox fans: Do you let him go or do you pull him back?

If I'm the Yankees FO, I claim him...maybe. If you don't claim him, and no one claims him, the Sox deal him, which most likely is in the Yankees short term gain. If you do claim him, the Sox will most likely pull him off waivers and that's actually against our team's best interest.

Must say, kinda interesting.
    Now you are talking about regular waivers.

Irrevocable waivers, what he was placed on in the '03 offseason, is when the team can't recall him if someone claims him. Irrevocable = can't revoke. This is not what they refer to when they talk about waivers and trades after the deadline.

Banned

Please be true.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Stanton to me looks like a better version of Willy Mo

Willy Mo's A stats=.264, .327, .485, .812 with 26 HR and a 5.36 K/BB ratio in 510 AB's
    Stantons A stats=.275, .351, .569, .920 with 26 HR and a 3.64 K/BB ratio in 360 AB's

both at the same age

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;337371;
    Now you are talking about regular waivers.

Irrevocable waivers, what he was placed on in the '03 offseason, is when the team can't recall him if someone claims him. Irrevocable = can't revoke. This is not what they refer to when they talk about waivers and trades after the deadline.
    I know. This is assuming regular waivers. What would you do?
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

The Red Sox's clubhouse had a twilight zone-like feel to it in the hours leading up to Wednesday's game with the Angels. At around 5:30, the following blurb appeared on the ESPN crawl: "Red Sox engaged in serious conversation to trade Manny Ramirez to the Marlins." At literally that exact time, Ramirez walked past that television with a plate of food in his hand, but didn't see it.

About 20 minutes later, Ramirez, obviously aware, or made aware by teammates, said with light-hearted enthusiasm, "Oh yeah, Marlins. Tax free. Stay at home." Then he gave Hideki Okajima's interpreter -- Jeff Yamaguchi -- a mock hug good-bye. Yamaguchi simply smiled and shook his head.
    http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2...y_go_home.html

Seems to me a previous Sox trade of an apparently disgruntled superstar worked out pretty damn well, at least in the near term, for the team.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;337374;
    I know. This is assuming regular waivers. What would you do?
    Nothing. The meat of who can help the Sox now is off the market. Like you said, they are unlikely to improve in the short-term. If you claim him, they recall him.

Jason Bay to the Sox in a three way deal?

http://trades.mlblogs.com/archives/2...l_that_in.html

Under this scenario, Ramirez would go to the Marlins, while Jeremy Hermida would go to the Pirates, and Jason Bay would go to the Red Sox

All-Star

From a Marlins message board, the rumor is expanded to 9 players:
    BoSox get:
    Jason Bay
    Jack Wilson
    Hector Correa

Pirates get:
    Jeremy Hermida
    Jed Lowrie
    Hunter Jones
    Jai Miller