Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny Ramirez Trade Deadline Thread (renamed)

Re: Dodgers, Sox holding "substantive talks" about Ramirez

what would the point of dealing Burrell for Manny be? They are right about equal in terms of performance right now, while Burrell is younger and cheaper
    Hal sucks

All-Star

-The Marlins may be about to make a huge splash, as they seem to be the team in most serious discussions about disgruntled Boston outfielder Manny Ramirez. The deal would be for outfielder Jeremy Hermida and prospects, and would certainly strengthen the one-dimensional Marlins offense for the stretch run. But apparently the fact that Florida and Philadelphia have pursued Ramirez isn't enough to prod Mets ownership into signing off on the run Omar Minaya would like to make at him.

Trading Manny for anything other than top prospects simply isn't worth it.

Bullshit. If that's the type of trade we're making, we're getting ripped off. I just want to keep Manny. :angry:

The only one on the Marlins I'd trade Manny for is Hanley.
    West Virginia University 2014

Quote Originally Posted by User Name;337326;
    Bullshit. If that's the type of trade we're making, we're getting ripped off. I just want to keep Manny. :angry:

We'll have to call the mob in for help on that one.

But yes, trading Manny anyway is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name;337326;

I still believe the idea is to trade Manny for Hermida then turn around and swing Hermida with another prospect for a bat to replace Manny. Thats a lot they need to make happen in a short span....not to mention they are looking for a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by SchillingIsTheNatural;337332;
    I still believe the idea is to trade Manny for Hermida then turn around and swing Hermida with another prospect for a bat to replace Manny. Thats a lot they need to make happen in a short span....not to mention they are looking for a reliever.
    not enough time now for that entire thing to happen, realistically.

Banned

I think there is zero chance Manny passes through irrevocable waivers. If I'm the Yankees, if they put him on IW, I claim him in a heartbeat. It's worth nearly every team to put in a claim, you get the rest of the salary but two draft picks. As for regular waivers, I'm not sure.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;337316;
    what would the point of dealing Burrell for Manny be? They are right about equal in terms of performance right now, while Burrell is younger and cheaper
    Not if the Sox are kicking in $, which is what they are reportedly willing to do here.

Burrell's a FA this year too, so it really would be a non-move on the field. My in-laws live up that way, and my father in-law tells me Burrell is not a fan favorite. Call it the JD Drew syndrome, but he's viewed as too dispassionate. With negligible net change on the field, it could be done for PR.

Or, supposing they intend to resign Burrell, they let him go, get the picks for Manny, sign Burrell and lose their 1, but they net a 1s.

While I agree that it's not likely to happen, finding a reason isn't particularly difficult.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Gom;337338;
    I think there is zero chance Manny passes through irrevocable waivers. If I'm the Yankees, if they put him on IW, I claim him in a heartbeat. It's worth nearly every team to put in a claim, you get the rest of the salary but two draft picks. As for regular waivers, I'm not sure.
    What makes you think he'd go on irrevocable waivers?

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;337339;
    Not if the Sox are kicking in $, which is what they are reportedly willing to do here.

Burrell's a FA this year too, so it really would be a non-move on the field. My in-laws live up that way, and my father in-law tells me Burrell is not a fan favorite. Call it the JD Drew syndrome, but he's viewed as too dispassionate. With negligible net change on the field, it could be done for PR.

Or, supposing they intend to resign Burrell, they let him go, get the picks for Manny, sign Burrell and lose their 1, but they net a 1s.

While I agree that it's not likely to happen, finding a reason isn't particularly difficult.
    If Theo is dumb enough to trade Manny, we should at least try and get some quality prospects in return, or abandon the idea altogether. I don't want to trade for a LF who I think is far inferior to Manny (despite what the cold hard stats show over the past year and a half), who also has an expiring contract, and have to bank on signing a Matt Holliday in the offseason.

This is my rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoby_Ellsbury;337344;
    If Theo is dumb enough to trade Manny, we should at least try and get some quality prospects in return, or abandon the idea altogether. I don't want to trade for a LF who I think is far inferior to Manny (despite what the cold hard stats show over the past year and a half), who also has an expiring contract, and have to bank on signing a Matt Holliday in the offseason.
    Yeah, I saw your earlier response about getting top prospects and then the subsequent one about not wanting Hermida. Hermida was a top 5 prospect going into his rookie year. Don't know who you have in mind, but just arbitrarily throwing "top" out there means little to us because, for all we know, I mean you did just join today, you could be talking about a guy who spins around in circles real fast.

As for comparison's to Burrell, can you let us know just what it is you see that has escaped the many different stats that say something different?

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;337350;
    Yeah, I saw your earlier response about getting top prospects and then the subsequent one about not wanting Hermida. Hermida was a top 5 prospect going into his rookie year. Don't know who you have in mind, but just arbitrarily throwing "top" out there means little to us because, for all we know, I mean you did just join today, you could be talking about a guy who spins around in circles real fast.
    I never said I didn't want Hermida. I just posted my isolated opinion that if we deal Manny, we need to get our money's worth in return.

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat
    As for comparison's to Burrell, can you let us know just what it is you see that has escaped the many different stats that say something different?
    It was said Burrell has production equal to Manny over the past year and a half I think? Well Manny was hurt a big chunk of 2007 so I think that's moot. Plus the idea is protecting Ortiz, and Burrell won't do that as well as Manny, for the simple reason that its a mental thing with pitchers and the Ortiz/Ramirez combo. If you're a pitcher on the mound debating whether to pitch around Papi, who scares you more when you look toward the on-deck circle; Manny, or Burrell?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by One Red Seat;337342;
    What makes you think he'd go on irrevocable waivers?
    I didn't. Just that I was sure he wouldn't be. Ok, let's play armchair GM.

He's not traded before the deadline.
    You'll obviously put him on waivers.

Yankee fans: Do you claim him?
    Red Sox fans: Do you let him go or do you pull him back?

If I'm the Yankees FO, I claim him...maybe. If you don't claim him, and no one claims him, the Sox deal him, which most likely is in the Yankees short term gain. If you do claim him, the Sox will most likely pull him off waivers and that's actually against our team's best interest.

Must say, kinda interesting.
    "Every year, the infielders move a step back because you have lost some speed, and the outfielders move in a step because you have lost some of your power. When they can shake hands, you're finished."

Ok, since it now seems like Manny is either going to the Marlins or staying here, i think we should be looking at Hermida and another top prospect (Ryan Tucker or Matt Dominguez?) and Jeff Allison. I dont see anything happening here though.