Michael Almanzar

Born: December 2, 1990
    Santo Domingo, DR
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 190
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Drafted: Not drafted
    How Acquired: International free agent (July 2007)
    High School: Dominican Baseball Academy
    ETA: 2013
    MLB Comparison: Jorge Cantu

Scouting Report: A tall, lanky shortstop - Almanzar is extremely athletic, but also extremely raw. He's very thin now, but his frame looks like it has room to add a lot of muscle and strength. He signed at the age of 16 and hadn't played much organized ball prior to his signing, despite that he's the son of former MLB pitcher Carlos Almanzar. Offensively, Almanzar is mostly potential at this point. His stance and swing are closer to little-league than big league. He fidgets a lot in the box, has an open stance that tightens up a lot after a huge timing step. Regardless, he generates a lot of bat speed and has plus plus power potential. Almanzar is also a work-in-progress defensively. Not a great fielder at 3B yet, despite that he spent much of his (albeit limited) time before signing at SS. His arm is strong but erratic. Basically, he's the ultimate raw toolsy player, and the Red Sox apparently hope to turn him into a star from the ground up.

Was just promoted to Greenville today. (GCL stats)
    "I've come to the conclusion that the two most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen." -Bob Lemon, 1981

Re: Michael Almanzar

Quite impressive for a 17yr old to be in A-ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.B. Mason View Post
    Did someone order...paperclips?

This guy sounds legit. He's got a chance to be a huge star.
    Never Gonna give you up, Never gonna let you downB)

Almanzar went 1-4 with a triple and no K's today in his debut with Greenville.
    "I've come to the conclusion that the two most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen." -Bob Lemon, 1981

He has all the tools that is for sure.
    Hal sucks

"He has all the tools that is for sure"

"This guy sounds legit. He's got a chance to be a huge star"

Have you all made that determination based on the information presented in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;334801;
    Have you all made that determination based on the information presented in this thread?
    I think his stats and that hes 17 years old playing A-ball is a good enough reason to determine hes got tools.

Quote Originally Posted by rician blast;334801;
    "He has all the tools that is for sure"

"This guy sounds legit. He's got a chance to be a huge star"

Insider info my friend.

Michael Almanzar was one of the top 5 position player prospects signed out of the INTL ranks last yr. He, along with the guy we got (Kelvin DeLeon), were the two biggest power bats available. Almanzar had the boon of being an infielder. I think they were trying to bill him as a SS, but a kid at his frame is destined for a corner IF slot. Depending on which scouting service you believe, this kid has anywhere from a 65-70 power on the 20-80 scale already. With muscle, this kid will be an 80 no doubt. He was also considered to be more advanced in approach than most of the IFA's, although that isnt saying much. His IF skills are raw, but he has good range and good hands. He has enough speed to steal some bases but he isnt a true burner. Essentially, he doesnt have a minus skill. Everything is at least average or better. And his bat will carry him. The lower levels are all talent. The game isnt refined, it is strength against strength and this kid is outshining the rest. His challenge will be refining his game when the players are more advanced. Can he sit on the curveball, can he foul off the good pitch and wait for his. These are the kinds of things you look for. Right now, he has a Glaus like projection because his power is so far out in front of his other skills. But he is 17, we'll see how he does
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch;334810;
    Insider info my friend.

Michael Almanzar was one of the top 5 position player prospects signed out of the INTL ranks last yr. He, along with the guy we got (Kelvin DeLeon), were the two biggest power bats available. Almanzar had the boon of being an infielder. I think they were trying to bill him as a SS, but a kid at his frame is destined for a corner IF slot. Depending on which scouting service you believe, this kid has anywhere from a 65-70 power on the 20-80 scale already. With muscle, this kid will be an 80 no doubt. He was also considered to be more advanced in approach than most of the IFA's, although that isnt saying much. His IF skills are raw, but he has good range and good hands. He has enough speed to steal some bases but he isnt a true burner. Essentially, he doesnt have a minus skill. Everything is at least average or better. And his bat will carry him. The lower levels are all talent. The game isnt refined, it is strength against strength and this kid is outshining the rest. His challenge will be refining his game when the players are more advanced. Can he sit on the curveball, can he foul off the good pitch and wait for his. These are the kinds of things you look for. Right now, he has a Glaus like projection because his power is so far out in front of his other skills. But he is 17, we'll see how he does
    A simple no would have sufficed.

However I appreciate your efforts above.

Almanzar went 2-4 with an RBI and no K's today in his second game with Greenville.

Michaels not so hot now only batting .200 in 25 AB and also was the only batter in the starting lineup without a hit yesterday.