PDA

View Full Version : YOOOOUK wins the Gold Glove Award

VA Sox Fan
11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
November 6, 2007

Youk wins gold glove
By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff

Youk gets a Gold Glove.

Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis is one of five first-time Gold Glove winners in the American League.

The gritty Red Sox first baseman did not make in 1,080 total chances and recorded 990 putouts for the Sox.

Posted By: ssilva | Time: 04:20:05 PM

Coco's Disciples
11-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Congrats. The award is beyond meaningless, but congrats anyways.

KeepTheFaith1229
11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
lol coco didn't win

Thumper
11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Where's the rest of the award announcements? MVP? RoY? Cy Young?

Coco's Disciples
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Where's the rest of the award announcements? MVP? RoY? Cy Young?

They always come after.

VA Sox Fan
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Youkilis joins Tigers 2B Placido Polanco, Angels SS Orlando Cabrera, and Mariners 3B Adrian Beltre as AL infielders who are receiving the Gold Glove honor for the first time.

Tigers catcher Ivan Rodriguez, Mariners center fielder Ichiro Suzuki, Twins outfielder Torii Hunter, Indians outfielder Grady Sizemore, and Twins pitcher Johan Santana round out the 2007 AL Gold Glove winners.

YAZMAN
11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what NY says when they have Giambi at 1st base. WTF?

soxfan17881
11-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Screw that! The more accolades, the better!

Congrats to YOUK!

riverside sluggers
11-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Eh its good to have on his resume. Pplus him & his agent could swindle bonuses for gold glove consideration in future negotiations

Yoooouk, they chose the right man. Not like the odd selection of Palmeiro who played just 19 games that season at 1st base, rest at DH

Coco's Disciples
11-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Palmeiro is exhibit A why it doesnt matter.

redsoxrules
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Palmeiro is exhibit A why it doesnt matter.

and jeter from last year , we could go on and on

BSN07
11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Congrats to Youk for getting some pub. But thats about all the award is good for.

SchillingIsTheNatural
11-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Personal opinion but the best defensive player in the league for 2007 did not win a Gold Glove.

...if only you could play offense Coco Crisp then you might have won an award for defense.

See Red
11-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Personal opinion but the best defensive player in the league for 2007 did not win a Gold Glove.

Yeah... Troy Tulowitzki. :D

I love Coco's defense... but they say the difference between Tulo and the second best shortstop was greater than the difference between the second and the ninth best shortstops.

jacksonianmarch
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM
If youk didnt get it, someone should be sued. He had solid range and made zero errors. No brainer.

8 Yaz 67
11-07-2007, 12:10 AM

Beyond meaningless? Why is that? What exactly does beyond meaningless even mean?

I think it's great recognition for his excellent performance at 1st base this year. I'm not sure how many opportunities he had this year, but just try to do anything 100 or 200 times in a row without error. That's quite an accomplishment. I bet he still would have gotten the Gold Glove had he made a few errors. He displayed good range and made some good heads-up plays. He also saved a good amount of potential errors by either jumping for the ball or digging it out of the dirt.

Way to go Youk!

PS. I felt Coco deserved one as well. His play was spectacular all year.

ksushi
11-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Eh its good to have on his resume. Pplus him & his agent could swindle bonuses for gold glove consideration in future negotiations

Yoooouk, they chose the right man. Not like the odd selection of Palmeiro who played just 19 games that season at 1st base, rest at DH

Did that really happen? 19 games and he won the Gold Glove??? That is a joke...

See Red
11-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Beyond meaningless? Why is that? What exactly does beyond meaningless even mean?

I think it's great recognition for his excellent performance at 1st base this year. I'm not sure how many opportunities he had this year, but just try to do anything 100 or 200 times in a row without error. That's quite an accomplishment. I bet he still would have gotten the Gold Glove had he made a few errors. He displayed good range and made some good heads-up plays. He also saved a good amount of potential errors by either jumping for the ball or digging it out of the dirt.

Way to go Youk!

PS. I felt Coco deserved one as well. His play was spectacular all year.

It's meaningless because it's a popularity contest. Any award that rewards great defense this season that isn't given out to Tulowitzki or Crisp for their respective positions is meaningless because it's a fan vote, I believe. Tulo was far and away the best defensive short stop in the league... any numbers you can drudge up show this... yet, he plays in Colorado and nobody knew his name until the last month of the season.

ORS
11-07-2007, 07:06 AM
GG's are voted on by the managers, but that doesn't make them more legit. Jeter won 3 in a row, Tek won one, Palmiero, etc, etc. Dibble and Kennedy were talking about it on XM yesterday, and the practice of rewarding players for careers and having "paid their dues" is commonplace. Hence, Tulo didn't win it over JRoll despite deserving it because he hasn't paid his dues.

Varitek33
11-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Good to see that Youk won, he did deserve it.