PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Red Sox minor league notes.

scaffolds
06-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Like I posted on the GCL thread the 2007 short season for the Red Sox it was a very important day, it was the profesional debut for Dominican bonus babies Engel Beltre and Oscar Tejada, but was also the first game in US soil for Venezuelan Victor Galue and Dominican Arbert Jimemez. in Lowell Dominican Short Stop Yamaico Navarro also played his first game in the United State.

In Lowell on Wednesday 2007 first rounder Caleb Clay made his profesional debut and former outfielder Dominican Willy Mota made his debut as a pitcher. In the GCL Dominican Pedro Perez was the Sox starting pitcher also playing in his first game in the U.S.

scaffolds
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
The Red Sox brass under the direction of Craig Shipley keeps protecting the Australians, players Like LHP Adam Blackley. Blackley hasn't pitched well in his five years in the Sox system and now is in the Low Lowell and not pitching very well, however the red Sox has let go Nicaraguan LHP Mario Pena. Pena has had better result than Blackley. I understand that Pena isn't a great prospect but a better prospect than Blackley. This philosophy of over protecting Australian prospect isn't only unfair but bad development procedure.

scaffolds
06-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Jimmy James and Scott Blue who didn't pitch in 2006 and only four games in 2005 because Shoulder issues pitched on Friday with different results. The Venezuelan James who according baseball America was the 20th best prospect in 2004 pitched for Lowell with 5 IP 2 H and 0 R, on the other hand Blue who was the Sox fifth round pick in 2005 pitched in the GCL 1 IP 2 H 2 ER 2 BB 1 K.

Rdsxmbnt
06-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Seadogs won 17-2 last night. Lowrie was 4-6 with a double and a HR

Rdsxmbnt
06-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Brad Correll is raking in Lancaster. In 24 ABs on the season for High-A Lancaster hes batting .333/.360/1.250/1.610 with 8 hits, 7 of which are HRs

scaffolds
06-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Correll is a 26 yrs who just got signed from the Independent leagues, old for the league and the Parl (lancaster and the California league) is helping him out, not much of a prospect.

scaffolds
06-30-2007, 10:43 AM
At the end of the 2006 GCL season there was some questions of who was the better prospect between Venezuelan LHP Felix Doubront and Dominican LHP Jose Capellon. Doubront made the Greenville roster but because he had hernia surgery over the Winter missed almost the first month and half and when he started pitching in Greenville has been a shadow of the pitcher that he was in the 2005 VSL and 2006 GCL if he's healthy there has to be a lot of concerns. Capellan on the other hand stayed in extended Springt raining until he was the openning game starter for lowell and in his first two starts has been very good, it may not be until the end of the season where we may get a better picture.

scaffolds
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
According to BA the Sox have released catcher Levi Tapia. The Sox haven't had much sucess with hitting prospects from the Rocky mountain area.

Talking about the early phase of International signing period, Luis Sumoza who was a bonus baby out of Venezuela this time in 2004 and had so-so seasons with VSL in 2005 and with GCL in 2006 its having a good start repeating the GCL in 2007.

Rdsxmbnt
07-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Josh Reddick in his first pro season for Single-A Greenville is putting up very impressive numbers. .345/.392/.545/.937

scaffolds
07-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Sometimes the Red Sox player development philosophy leaves anyone scratching their head, one of them is having Travis Beazley and Josh Papelbon pitching in Low A Greenville, I am talking about a pair of 24 yrs pitching in Low a ball when there's a lot younger pitchers pitching in the ML. Beazly and Papelbon have very VERY limeted pitching talent and are taking away inning way from a lot more talented pitchers who needs the innings to develop.

example1
07-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Sometimes the Red Sox player development philosophy leaves anyone scratching their head, one of them is having Travis Beazley and Josh Papelbon pitching in Low A Greenville, I am talking about a pair of 24 yrs pitching in Low a ball when there's a lot younger pitchers pitching in the ML. Beazly and Papelbon have very VERY limeted pitching talent and are taking away inning way from a lot more talented pitchers who needs the innings to develop.

I don't know either of these guys very well. Should they be at a higher level, or released altogether?

scaffolds
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't know either of these guys very well. Should they be at a higher level, or released altogether?

Talent wise they both should be released, however I doubt that the younger Papelbon will be until the organization don't have to, he was drafted as a courtesy to his older brother but again has very little profesional talent.

abefromen
07-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Talent wise they both should be released, however I doubt that the younger Papelbon will be until the organization don't have to, he was drafted as a courtesy to his older brother but again has very little profesional talent.

So let me get this straight. Papelbon, who has a 3.43 ERA with 11 saves in Greenville, and Travis Beazley, who has excllent control demonstrated by a 92/12 K/BB ratio should be released. I understand these aren't top tier prospects, but released?

Yet you flipped out when Mario Pena was released, berating the Red Sox FO. Mario Pena's Lancaster stats: 12.21 ERA, 0 Ks, 6 BBs, 2.36 WHIP. And you sing the praises of Manny Arambarris, who is in his 6th year in the organization hasn't made it out of Low A Ball, and has the emptiest batting average in the organization?

On other sites, you've played up the MLB potential of players like Richard Santana, Heriberto Guzman, Luis Segovia, Moises Santa, Roberto Sosa, only to name a few. You flipped out when they were released and nobody else picked them up. You've been touting Miguel Socolovich for years, who now has a 6.94 ERA in Lowell after putting up a 6.65 ERA in Greenville. Yet you've constantly criticized players like Ryan Colvin, Jed Lowrie, Dustin Pedroia, and Kevin Youkilis.

I'd love to hear you explain your scouting theories here and tell everyone that racism doesn't come into play. I've been lurking over here for a while, I wonder if the good people at this site deserve an explanation as to the basis of your opinions, or whether they should just take your scouting of Latin players v. white players with a grain of salt.

AZBlue
07-08-2007, 10:15 AM
In any organization, the majority of players on any minor league affiliate's roster are there to "play catch" with the real prospects. I see no problem having effective organizational players on any roster, since I've never seen 23 real prospects on any minor league roster.

ORS
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd love to hear you explain your scouting theories here and tell everyone that racism doesn't come into play. I've been lurking over here for a while, I wonder if the good people at this site deserve an explanation as to the basis of your opinions, or whether they should just take your scouting of Latin players v. white players with a grain of salt.
I've got to say, I've noticed this as well. I don't make the circuit, so I can't speak of a long history in this trend as Scaff's contributions here seem fairly limited, but the preference has become apparent even in limited posts.

scaffolds
07-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Let me see where i should start to repond to your friendly post, when I have a problem (post) about a player its because lack of talent and not because of been a racist like you claim, however those players that you defended are all white players, so what is the issue here are you a RACIST or better yet do you a personal interest in anyone of them? Which I believe that you do.

Like I posted earlier about Beazly and Papelbon, they're 24 yrs pitching against hitters a lot younger than they're in Low A ball. Lets take Papelbon for example you have a picher that pitches in the low 80's with the only movenment of the pitch comes from the arm angle that he pitches and while he pitches to a lot less experienced hitters he its getting hit to a 293 average and has allowed more hits than innings pitched (51 H-45 IP) Beaszly and his great control on the other hand pitches with a fastball that sits at 85 and may not touch any harder than 87 has a 5.22 ERA in 101 IP while allowing 12 HR. last night for example was another example of it, but I understand this might be to much for you to understand.

In my post about Mario Pena if you could read I said that he wasn't a very good prospect, but while he was getting released another LHP like Adam Blackley with less talent keep getting opportunities after opportunities just because he was Australian like his fellow countrymen Craig Shipley.

In your post you keep saying that I flip out, well if expresing my view point is fliping out then i flip, but it's very clear that some of those Latin players that you mentioned they didn't get the same opportunities as the other non latin players.

One last point I post about Latin players because its hard to get information about them and like to share my knowledge whith my fellows prospect follower if you have an issue with it don't read it, however its my opinion that your issue is that i gave out the facts of a personal interest of yours.

jacksonianmarch
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I think the deal here is that the dominican players come up much rawer but with much more projection. Some of these fringe guys that he is talking about are about as finished a product as they are going to be. Scaff isnt a racist. He likes projection. Even if the projection is not going to be reached, there is the off chance that the kid will put it together. I mean, it isnt like Papelbon is going to "find it" and start throwing 95.

scaffolds
07-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Puerto Rican SS/2B Kenneth Roque who was the Red Sox 10th round pick last June and signed to a $70, 000 had a heck of a day Monday 7/09 while playing in the GCL when he commited 5 errors while playing second base, to offset that he is hitting for a 125 average. Did I said that Roque now has 12 errors in the season, 12 errors in 13 games played.

scaffolds
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
LHP Felix Doubront who at the end of last season was considered one of the Red Sox top pitching prospects and who has had health (Hernia) issues and when pitching hasn't pitched well was taking out in his start today (3th inning) with Greenville with elbow issues.

Outfielder Jeff Corsolatti was the staring center fielder for the North in tonight's Easlern league All Star game.

scaffolds
07-12-2007, 05:04 PM
RHP Wang-Yi Lin Had T/J surgery.

The Red Sox GCL under the direction of hitting coach Ul Washington isn't very impresive, it will be wise for the Sox player development to make some changes this offseason. In addition the Sox defense particular second baseman Kenneth Roque and catcher Mattew Cooney are below average.

scaffolds
07-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Some Pitching scouting reports on Red Sox pitching prospects in the GCL.

Pedro Perez is a string bean 6-4 170 RHP, the 19 yrs Dominica fastball is 88-90 that tops at 92 but has very good command.

Scott Blue The Red Sox fifth round pick in 2005 has a very good arm, but not command at all and when he throws strikes are normally in the heart of the plate and gets hits hard.

Argenis Paulino playing in his second year in the GCL the 21 yrs 6-6 205 Dominican doesn't throw as hard as someone of his size should, his fastball sits at 88 and touches 90 mainly because of lack of arm speed, but has good command.

Mauricio Mendez also its playing in his second year in the GCL and its the best prospect out of this group and could have a future as a reliever with a fastball in the 91-92 range from a 3/4 arm slott with good movement. Mendez is a 6-6 200 is a 21 yrs Dominican.

Rdsxmbnt
07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
what do you think of LH Jose Capellan? on the season he's now pitched:

25 IP, 20 hits, 30/4 K/BB, 3.75 ERA for Single-A Lowell. ERA is a bit high but peripherals are solid, no HR allowed either.

scaffolds
07-12-2007, 09:16 PM
what do you think of LH Jose Capellan? on the season he's now pitched:

25 IP, 20 hits, 30/4 K/BB, 3.75 ERA for Single-A Lowell. ERA is a bit high but peripherals are solid, no HR allowed either.

Like I talked about ealier in the thread, Capellan is a LHP to keep an eye on, The Sox also have a 18 yrs Venezuelan in the GCL (Jose Alvarez) with an low 90 fastball that its very well regarded and a 18 yrs Dominican (Cesar Cabral) who has pitched very well in the DSL.

scaffolds
07-13-2007, 12:36 PM
That great prospect, well, at least in the dark eyes of "ABEFROMEN" Josh Papelbon had a great night with Greenville Thursday night. 1/3 IP 5 H (1 HR) 1 BB 6 ER, OH by the way he is ERA is now 4.47

RobZombie
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Scaff-

I don't think that anyone in their right mind thinks that Josh Papelbon is a top prospect. Not even "Abefromen". He's 24, pitching in low A ball with peripherals that are decent but not dominant.

However, you take this one step further and say that Papelbon deserves no credit for pitching decently and should just be thrown away in favor of players who haven't performed well.

In other words, you still have missed the overall point in that you seem to sing the praises of terrible players if they are Latin and want white players who are performing well to be shown the door. You even take this to the extreme by trying to imply that Julio Lugo is almost as good as Youkilis!

I agree with your point that its possible that the Red Sox aren't doing all they can to develop and nurture young talented Latin players, but you take it to the extreme.

Its likely that none of the players mentioned in this discussion are ever going to make the majors.

jacksonianmarch
07-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Rob, I see your point and certainly agree to a certain extent. But does anyone actually think Josh Papelbon has anything going for him? He throws 80mph with a deceptive delivery but nothing off speed to speak of. If you want to take the fight to scaff, use Youk vs Lugo to prove a point. Dont pick a battle over a guy who should never have been drafted to begin with.

AZBlue
07-14-2007, 12:12 PM
In other words, you still have missed the overall point in that you seem to sing the praises of terrible players if they are Latin and want white players who are performing well to be shown the door.

This is an exaggeration of Scaff's comments about the Latin players who are not performing. He has given examples of Latin players who were released who have not performed well, but who had more upside than Papelbon.

Also, we have to consider the limited number of visas available for the Red Sox to use for Latin players. This will inevitably result Latin players who the Red Sox do not believe will make it to the majors being released while less talented "organizational" American players are retained to "play catch with" the true prospects at each level of the minor league system.

RobZombie
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Rob, I see your point and certainly agree to a certain extent. But does anyone actually think Josh Papelbon has anything going for him? He throws 80mph with a deceptive delivery but nothing off speed to speak of. If you want to take the fight to scaff, use Youk vs Lugo to prove a point. Dont pick a battle over a guy who should never have been drafted to begin with.

Jax guys drafted in the 37th round are really just there to fill out rosters. I think that the chances are small that the younger Paps actually makes it to the majors. Even if you look at him from a purely statistical standpoint, his chances are not encouraging.

I'm just saying that you don't call for the release of guys that have played well no matter the extenuiating circumstances. Papelbon from a peripheral standpoint has been decent. What message does it send to the players if how well you play is irrelevant?

What Papelbon does have going for him is a deceptive delivery. The question then becomes what happens when players start to get used to him and/or he faces people with more talent and experience. No harm in finding out.

The most likely scenario is that he ends up in Lancaster next year, gets killed, demoted, and then released.

Rdsxmbnt
08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
SP Jose Capellan is having a nice season for the Lowell Spinners.
47 IP, 37 hits, 7 BB, 47 K, 3.26 ERA, 1 HRA

9.0 K/9, 1.34 BB/9, 6.71 K/BB, 0.19 HR/9

scaffolds
08-05-2007, 12:13 PM
SP Jose Capellan is having a nice season for the Lowell Spinners.
47 IP, 37 hits, 7 BB, 47 K, 3.26 ERA, 1 HRA

9.0 K/9, 1.34 BB/9, 6.71 K/BB, 0.19 HR/9

I agree that Capellon its having a nice season and has outpitched Doubront, but the reports that i have seen his fastball needs some improvements.