PDA

View Full Version : Yanks close to aquiring Gonzalez?

TGov
12-17-2006, 02:42 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061216&content_id=1763046&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

Why, they have Rivera already, is Gonzalez gonna be a set-up man, come on now...

jacksonianmarch
12-17-2006, 03:03 PM
That is an old link my friend, but they are really trying to make this happen. I think this is a good move if it involves only Melky. It becomes absurd and stupid if it is Proctor too. Here's the deal TGov. Mariano is signed through this season. The Yankees are likely to extend him for 2 more years. But even as a yankee fan, I know that he is likely going to be a tough sell 3 yrs from now as an elite closer. Gonzalez is 28 and from his scouting report he has some nasty stuff. He has had issues with his health and has some control issues as well, but he can handle the closers role. I think this deal may have more to do with insuring themselves than anything else. Plus, Farnsworth aint exactly a sure bet. So adding a kid with a 93-98mph heater and a deadly slider couldnt hurt. That bullpen would be unbelievable. Look at the arms.

Rivera- 95mph cutter 95mph 2 seamer
Proctor- 95-98mph fastball
Farnsworth- 95-101mph fastball
Bruney- 95-98mph fastball
Britton- 93-95mph fastball
Gonzalez- 93-98mph fastball

all having success the previous season in the majors and all with insane power arms. That is a bullpen to be reckoned with. Sadly, I would HATE to see Melky go and this deal would be immensely stupid if it involved proctor, but if it is Melky for Gonzalez straight up, you have to do it.

Plumpamania
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
It's said on rotoworld that the three way deal isn't happening, and there have been no talks.

And if it were just a Yankee/Pirate deal it would be Gonzalez for Proctor/Cabrera.

Soxfan#1
12-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Preventing the red sox getting him is a plus too.

Hi plump!

ARod2212
12-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Good. Make this rumor go away, because trading Melky for a RP is stupid.

22 years old, paid nothing, plays great defense, and is the perfect safety net for someone getting injured in the outfield. We have a lot of arms for the bullpen, we don't need to be trading an asset like Melky for another one.

Coco's Disciples
12-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I would do it if I were the Yankees...Cabrera isn't a stud guys...Gonzalez is a damn good reliever. Pitching is much more valuable than hitting, and the Yankees need more pitching.